Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2001, 12:20 PM   #1
Eldurin
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I've just finished Bane of the Cosmic Forge again (the first time since finishing it when it came out!), and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what I can do to optimize the import into Wizardry 7. I'm wandering around now, fighting powerful monsters in the Temple of Ramm and hoping for special items. Is this the best place to battle and look for items in Wiz 6?

I have the Diamond Ring, but nothing else too special. I sold most of the special items weapons because I have an all-Ninja party (most with around 500hps) and even when I change classes, they still use hands and feet most of the time with an occasional Bushido blade as primary or Sai as secondary. So I dumped all the super-duper armor and such.

I maxed out all the stats on one of my characters, so I can't go on until I hex edit him back down. I *really* dislike cheating, but in this case, I need to lower his stats so I can continue playing.

How high level should I get before importing into Crusaders? As an experiment I changed one character to a new class before an import, and his skill levels went from 100s the teens. The other characters, which are mostly around level 25 or so, had skills in the thirties after the import. Any ideas? Thanks!

By the way, Wyvern, I dug up your old guide. Thanks! It was great not having to map all that again. Oddly enough, though, back then I really enjoyed mapping.

[This message has been edited by Eldurin (edited 04-05-2001).]
Eldurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2001, 09:30 PM   #2
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Level doesn't really matter, Eldurin, as your characters become wimpy 5th level characters in Crusaders regardless of ending level in Bane. (That very quickly gets remedied, though, after playing a while!) However...when importing, watch which items get transferred. Import several times, save each one, and try to keep your best items. I was able to keep the Maenad's Lance, the Avenger sword, and the Muramasa blade on one of my imports...definitely ran with that one!

-Sazerac
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2001, 12:18 PM   #3
Eldurin
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:
Level doesn't really matter, Eldurin, as your characters become wimpy 5th level characters in Crusaders regardless of ending level in Bane.
Thanks for the advice about items, Sazerac. I will try several imports.

The level you are when you import does, however, have a direct effect on how you show up in Crusaders. Sure, regardless of your starting level (as long as it's 5 or above) you'll come in as a level 5, but the stats change quite a bit. As I mentioned, the higher level characters in Bane came into Crusaders with higher skills numbers (about 10 more in each), even though they were all mostly one-hundreds in Bane. About 40 or so in a skill level seems to be the max, but I don't have anyone over level 30 to see if that matters.

Hack up a couple of characters and try it yourself!

Old 04-06-2001, 12:54 PM   #4
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Well, that's true, it probably does. My characters were about 30th-40th level in Bane when I imported them (ran their butts back through the Temple of RAMM multiple times) so I got stats in the 13-17 range for most. But you tend to get a lot of good random stat increases when you start leveling up in Crusaders. Trust me when I say this: you will have more XP in Crusaders than you ever dreamed imaginable, especially if you play at "Expert" level (which I always do, except for one case when I nudged it back down to "Normal" to fight the Beast of 1000 eyes. At least I didn't set it to "Easy"!)

BTW, no offense meant, but it's a point of honor for me not to hack characters except in dire circumstances (like they lost a necessary quest item to complete the game, like the Legend Map or the Wand or something like that). I'm adverse to trainers and hacking character stats as a general rule of course.

-Sazerac
Old 04-07-2001, 12:15 PM   #5
Eldurin
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:
BTW, no offense meant, but it's a point of honor for me not to hack characters except in dire circumstances (like they lost a necessary quest item to complete the game, like the Legend Map or the Wand or something like that). I'm adverse to trainers and hacking character stats as a general rule of course.

-Sazerac
No offense taken, but if I thought hacking was cool, I wouldn't be playing the Temple of Ramm over and over, would I? I'd just give them all everything and be done with it. Hacking the actual characters you are playing with makes no sense to me, because you are robbing yourself of one of the main reasons to play in the first place: to gain a sense of accomplishment. So I quite agree with you on that. Now, hacking a new character for an experiment to see what happens to or test a theory? I see no dishonor in that and I don't imagine you really do either.

The way I see it, if people want to ruin their game by hacking their stats and tipping the balance, then go ahead. They paid for it. But I'm sure not going to spoil my experience by unbalancing the game.
Old 04-07-2001, 12:30 PM   #6
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Sorry, Eldurin. I missed the part about you wanting me to "test a theory." I agree, that would be perfectly legit...as long as you reverted back to the prior characters.

Again, I wasn't harping on you for doing so, but it does tend to give unscrupulous players ideas.

-Sazerac
Old 04-10-2001, 08:04 PM   #7
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Eldurin -

It's rather nice seeing that at least one of the many walkthrus I wrote still has some life/use in it yet!! I used to enjoy mapping too!! lol!!

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote