Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2003, 06:57 PM   #11
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

Light Bulb

You're 3/4 dead [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Mouse
(Occasional crooner and all round friendly Scottish rodent)
Old 06-13-2003, 07:06 PM   #12
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Let me see, 1/2 x 2 = 1/1 = 1.

You're dead man. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 06-13-2003, 07:11 PM   #13
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

99066 is an unique number. If you enter it on a calculator, and turn it around, it will give you the same number. And if you multiply it by itself, it will give you all the numerals one time each.
Old 06-13-2003, 07:44 PM   #14
Zero Alpha

Quote:
Originally posted by Mouse:
You're 3/4 dead [img]tongue.gif[/img]
i think this is technicaly accurate

you are alive ie 1
you die half you are now 1/2
you die half again you are now 1/4
so you are 3/4 dead

this is all because you only die half each time. you can never die by being scared half to death
Old 06-14-2003, 02:06 AM   #15
Mr. Mopery
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by spydar:
There is no word that rhymes with orange.
Whorange. The colour your schmeckle turns after spending too much time in the company of prostitutes.
Old 06-14-2003, 02:19 AM   #16
Mr. Mopery
Zhentarim Guard

Some linguistic quirks:

1. "No" in Polish means "yeah". So, technically, no means yes. Could lead to problems on a date.

2. Swedes, I believe, can indicate a kind of informal "yes" in conversation with a quick intake of breath. It sounds like "Hyoh!" and can catch a learner off guard. Correct me if I'm wrong here, or slightly off mark.

3. Thai has no tenses other than present. No future, no past, no participles(?). Instead, Thai can be roughly translated like these examples: "I go to store tomorrow", "He watch movie yesterday" or "They go to Cambodia 3 times before."

4. Chinese writing is pictographical rather than phonetic. Thus, an average, literate Chinese person who found a 5000 year old scroll would probably be able to read it, but would almost certainly be unable to verbally communicate with the scroll's author even if they were talking about the same symbols.

5. Not sure about this (maybe somebody can verify) but a friend told me that Japanese has different counting systems depending on what is being counted. Thus objects like books, rectangular and openable, might be counted "one (ichi?), two (nee?), three (san?) where long and slender objects, like pencils, would be counted using different numbers like sasld, lasejfea, aflkfdajl and oijoig (just an example).
Old 06-14-2003, 06:47 AM   #17
Spelca
Emerald Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Mopery:

2. Swedes, I believe, can indicate a kind of informal "yes" in conversation with a quick intake of breath. It sounds like "Hyoh!" and can catch a learner off guard. Correct me if I'm wrong here, or slightly off mark.
Haha. Yea, that's right! They say "jo" but they breathe in when they say it. But the quick intake of air is mostly a northern thing. It's really funny!!!
Old 06-14-2003, 06:50 AM   #18
Melusine
Dracolisk

LOL, I think some Germans do it too. At least when I try to reproduce the "intake of breath + jo" sound, I get exactly the sound my (German) grandmother sometimes makes when she wants to affirm something.
Come to think of it, most of the people in the area where she used to live did it.
Old 06-14-2003, 09:00 PM   #19
spydar

here are some more I remembered:

1) There are over one million bug parts in one jar of peanut butter.
2) In your lifetime you will swallow an average of 5 spiders in your sleep.
3) Mankind has not been responsible for the extinction of a single insect species.
4) The total estimated weight of insects in the world is greater than the combinded estimated weight of every other living thing.
5) Each year about 30 000 plant and/or animal species become extinct.
6) In the US you are more likely to be killed and eaten by a pig than attacked by a shark.
Old 06-14-2003, 10:31 PM   #20
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by spydar:
here are some more I remembered:

1) There are over one million bug parts in one jar of peanut butter.
2) In your lifetime you will swallow an average of 5 spiders in your sleep.
3) Mankind has not been responsible for the extinction of a single insect species.
4) The total estimated weight of insects in the world is greater than the combinded estimated weight of every other living thing.
5) Each year about 30 000 plant and/or animal species become extinct.
6) In the US you are more likely to be killed and eaten by a pig than attacked by a shark.
That's gross...