Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2005, 08:57 PM   #1
Sir Degrader
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4541606.stm

In my opinion, whats disgraceful is the fact that the Mexican president doesn't seem to care that his people are bailing out his country like rats from a sinking ship.
Sir Degrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 09:20 PM   #2
Calaethis Dragonsbane
Legion Symbol

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that the Mexican goverment encouraged their people to go across the border and up into the US.
Calaethis Dragonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 09:52 PM   #3
DBear
Drow Warrior

WTH would the BBC care? :/
Old 12-19-2005, 10:33 PM   #4
Calaethis Dragonsbane
Legion Symbol

They report news - why wouldn't they care? Don't the US media cover certain events that happen over here?
Calaethis Dragonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 12:40 AM   #5
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

Indeed the money illegal immigrants funnel back to Mexico is a large part of the Mexican economy.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:52 AM   #6
Lanesra
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by DBear:
WTH would the BBC care? :/
Is it because it is one of the world's foremost news organisations?
Lanesra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 11:16 AM   #7
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

I'm all for this wall, and all for anything that keeps immigrants out. I'm all for razorwire and minefields at the border. The days when a nation can live without borders should be gone. We think they aren't -- and we see the problems that attitude is bringing all over the world, from muslims in Europe and Australia, to Mexicans here in the U.S.

We should kick the lesser peoples of the Earth out of our countries, cease trade with them, and let them figure out how to make running water and electricity on their own -- before they and their countries drag us down with them. But, we'll never do that -- because our countries are run by Fat Cat corporations. And, we all know that to the corporations it's more important the Coca-Cola sell sodas in Jalalabad than it is to keep our own people safe, secure, and comfortable.

[ 12-20-2005, 11:16 AM: Message edited by: Timber Loftis ]
Old 12-20-2005, 02:28 PM   #8
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

... you know... I have no idea how much, if any, of that is sarcasm...
Old 12-20-2005, 02:34 PM   #9
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

I was trying to decipher that one too [img]smile.gif[/img]

Are you saying that immigration is the unavoidable price you pay for globalisation and the impact of it upon 2nd and 3rd world economies?

And just out of interest, how as a libertarian can you criticise fat cat companies?
shamrock_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 03:05 PM   #10
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Actually, I agree with Timber.

You see, some countries, for example some with warlords in Africa, are pretty much in a medieval culture still. They have their little personal armies, and they wage war on each others all the time.

In my opinion, if we had left those people alone and never had any interaction with them, I'm certain they'd still be using bow and swords, or maybe they'd be at the gunpowder age now. But instead, now they have modern weapons. (Can you imagine what the world would have been like if someone had went back in time to the crusade and gave our technology to those people?)

Now we are from an "advanced" culture. We see them fighting all the time, and we try to make them stop, but it can't work, because they are not at the same point as us. The only way they'll ever really stop that fighting is once their culture evolve.

Evolution doesn't happen without hardship. Look at what europe went trough, it had it's share of dark ages and troubles before we came to our modern society. But these people, they can't evolve. We come over with our corporations, try to push our way on them, pay them slave wages, then bring our MCDonalds and capitalism to get that money back. We force them to stay quiet, deal with the warlords and maintain the status quo so that we can profit from them.

We destroyed their culture for our profit. We're enslaving them with out 10 cent an hour wages.

The problem is not with capitalism, it's with forcing our culture on less advanced people and using them.

[ 12-20-2005, 03:06 PM: Message edited by: Luvian ]