Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2001, 03:45 PM   #1
Staralfur
Baaz Draconian

Right at the very start of the game in Saradush you can go into Gromnirs Barracks where you are attacked by quite a large number of his troops. It started off ok, but when about 20 of his helpers turned up my computer slowed right down, basically making the whole thing unplayable. I just had to leave it to Minsc to sort everyone out. Has anyone else had this problem? and is it a regular thing in the game? (no spoilers please, I just want to know if II'd be better off turning a few things down).

------------------
If all is not lost, where is it?
Staralfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2001, 03:50 PM   #2
Seid
Manshoon

I experience major slowdowns later in the game when you fight a lot of Fire giants. The more enemies you fight the slower the game goes.
What kind of comp do you have?

------------------
You cannot escape the inevitable.
Seid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2001, 03:57 PM   #3
Staralfur
Baaz Draconian

P2 400, 128Mb RAM, crudy ATI video card with 8Mb RAM (I have a voodoo 2, but I don't use it as it appears not to work in this game). I might turn some of the settings down if it's a regular thing.
Staralfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2001, 03:58 PM   #4
Throntar
Drizzt Do'Urden

Happens to me once in a great while. It helps to turn off all of the programs running in the background. Shut down everything (in Win 98) except for "explorer" and "systray". Those two are all you need to run the system. I also usually have the 3-D and shadows turned off...that seems to help.

------------------

Now where did I leave that doughnut?!
Throntar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2001, 03:59 PM   #5
Throntar
Drizzt Do'Urden

Quote:
Originally posted by Staralfur:
P2 400, 128Mb RAM, crudy ATI video card with 8Mb RAM (I have a voodoo 2, but I don't use it as it appears not to work in this game). I might turn some of the settings down if it's a regular thing.
My specs are almost identical to yours except for I'm using an AMD-K2 chip (366MHz) and my video card is integrated video. Same RAM and card has 8MB on it. Might want to just turn some unnecessary stuff off...

------------------

Now where did I leave that doughnut?!
Throntar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2001, 04:01 PM   #6
Seid
Manshoon

I have PIII 733 mhz 256 Ram and still experience slowdowns. But, I have maximum quality.

------------------
You cannot escape the inevitable.
Seid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2001, 09:48 PM   #7
Kitka
Dungeon Master

i have a 600mhz and 32mb card, 128 ram and have slowdowns too. my setting is to a 450mhz machine, but still get this problem, especially in 32 bit graphics. scrolling can be an issue occasionally, even with a massive cache. i think it is the sheer number of enemies on screen in some battles, or just the enormous script sizes some must have. another thing that may be causing it, though i dont really know.. is the size of the override folder. peek in there lately? wow, lots and lots of stuff to override. (and i have a full install of both. sheesh.)
Kitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2001, 11:29 PM   #8
G'kar

on my very slow pc ( its faster than a 266mhz processor thats all I know) I suffered ocasional slown downs until I set the config options to the lowest. Slow downs went away,totally. ( even in the big battles ) and I can't even tell that anything is different.( perhaps I just love the game, even with all the flash and glam turned off)
Old 07-21-2001, 07:17 AM   #9
Lukivah
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I have an AMD Athlon Thunderbird 1100 mhz, Voodoo3, 128 mb of ram and My computer runs just fine, no slow downs or anything. Even when I cast Abidalzims on all those soldiers my comp doesnt slow down, maybe because im running in 1200x16000 resolution? (hehe, yeah this was a brag, suprised to see so many ppl with low end computers)
Lukivah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2001, 04:56 PM   #10
Famir
Dungeon Master

Well this one will make you fell better!!! I have a 1.33 gig AMD thunderbird
With 256 megs of ddr-ram and a geforce3 and i still slow down at the same
battels you guys do!!!
Famir is offline   Reply With Quote