Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2006, 08:36 AM   #1
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Im becoming more and more performance focused as I get used to my new compy and have come to the point where I must choose Speed over size....

I have two gig of ram in my machine at the momment, and after playing around with settings all night I have found that (I already knew) if I just go with two sticks and have a total of 1gig of ram, I can pump up the voltage much easier and get far greater performance out of the machine, on the other hand, I have started running my CPU at higher and higher speeds to allow for many other apps to be running at the same time, and since I have a very small page file, ram is nice... Especially more of it....

Damnit, I hate this part [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 08:46 AM   #2
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

You have 4 sticks of 512 MB RAM? Why don't you sell those, and buy two sticks of 1 GB? Dual Channel is too good to pass up.
As for my experience with oveclocking, in most cases it's not worth the trouble, risk or money. There are exceptions, some components have been reported to handle overclocking beautifully(Radeon 9500 is the best OC GPU, all Bartons are that for CPU), and with them you do get good results with almost no downsides.
EDIT: WEE! Quth-Maren! Ph33r my 5k1nl355 r4g3!1!oneleven!

[ 04-25-2006, 08:47 AM: Message edited by: Bozos of Bones ]
Old 04-25-2006, 08:57 AM   #3
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Bozos of Bones:
You have 4 sticks of 512 MB RAM? Why don't you sell those, and buy two sticks of 1 GB? Dual Channel is too good to pass up.
As for my experience with oveclocking, in most cases it's not worth the trouble, risk or money. There are exceptions, some components have been reported to handle overclocking beautifully(Radeon 9500 is the best OC GPU, all Bartons are that for CPU), and with them you do get good results with almost no downsides.
EDIT: WEE! Quth-Maren! Ph33r my 5k1nl355 r4g3!1!oneleven!
Hmm, sound advice....

And I have been considering updating my ram for a while.

Though Overclocking is a breeze with the hardware I have, My x2 4800 is running at 2.8Ghz at 19 degrees celcius, and my video card is running at 745mhz on the core and 820Mhz on the mem.... Though it does generally run at 70 or so degrees... but thats only a few degrees higher than on standard clocks. And living in a cold place really helps
Old 04-25-2006, 09:04 AM   #4
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

70 degrees? If anthing in my PC ever goes above 60 degrees, I start dismantling and cleaning stuff. True, the cooling system in my case(air-based, no money for water) cost me more than the processor(2500+ Barton), so I'm bound to be a bit paranoid with those things [img]tongue.gif[/img]
P.S. 2.8@19 degrees is a nice number
Old 04-25-2006, 09:06 AM   #5
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Bozos of Bones:
70 degrees? If anthing in my PC ever goes above 60 degrees, I start dismantling and cleaning stuff. True, the cooling system in my case(air-based, no money for water) cost me more than the processor(2500+ Barton), so I'm bound to be a bit paranoid with those things [img]tongue.gif[/img]
P.S. 2.8@19 degrees is a nice number
heheh, im happy [img]smile.gif[/img]

Yeah, my old card (the x800 pro) ran at about 40 degrees, but these x1900xtx's run pretty hot..

But I probably failed to mention that I have the fan turned down (almost as noisy as those damn 7800/7900's)
Old 04-25-2006, 09:13 AM   #6
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

Yeah, tell me about noise. When I worked in a computer shop, we got a new shipment of some kind of CPU cooler with a T-turbine and double vents attached. The name was Z something(not Zalman) with an X somewhere... maybe it was even S or C something. Never mind... We hooked it up on this Barton 2700+, turned it on and HOLY CRAP! I thought the case(an enormous Chieftec bigtower weighting over 15kg) was about to become airborne, or atleast launch itself from the table. True, the processor held a steady 29 degrees, 34 after we overclocked it to some 2.35GHz, but damn! That shyte was loud dude!
The newer X1XXX cards do run pretty hot, so I hear. But the HeatPipe is a magnificent piece of technology. No more airport PCs.
Old 04-25-2006, 05:34 PM   #7
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

My 6800 idles at 53. I hear this is normal.
Old 04-26-2006, 09:07 AM   #8
Thoran
Galvatron

I run the game mostly on my Home Theater pc (built to be almost silent), the fan in the projector is louder (and it's a quiet projector).
Thoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 11:29 PM   #9
TheCrimsomBlade
Lord Ao

70 degrees wow Im now running 4-1Gb sticks and the hottest my comp has gotten up to is 58 degrees and I have it over clocked to 3.5Ghz. I got myself the new Heat pipe style heat sink and I've got everything in a Antec Sonata II case with twin Push pull 120 X 120 X 25.4 mm varable speed fans pumping 79CFM at 2000 RPM and they are quiet as a mouse. Fact is the only way I can even tell my comp is running is because the blue light on the front of the case is on and the screen is working. Oh yeah I also have a 92mm CPU fan attached to the the heat sink and it is set to speed up or slow down as needed automaticaly. Most of the time it stays at around 1200 to 1600 RPM but it did get up as high as 1780 RPM when I had both Oblivion running on one screen and Guild Wars rinning on the other. talk about confused PC characters trying to control both games with the same mouse and I had both my IBM style Keyboard working Oblivion and my Saitek Gaming Key board controlling Guild wars but only the one cordless optical track Ball mouse trying to control both games at the same time. My son and myself sat here LOAO watching the PC running the wrong way in one game and the other PC slamming against the walls in the other was really funny but I was mainly checking to see could the PC handle the stress and the only thing that got warm was one of my two ATI X1600 cards I'm running now it got up to 66 Degrees and the other only hit 60 but the CPU stayed at 57.3 at the higest. Oh and after about 5 min I got the message that I was running incompatable programs and that it may cause Damage if I continued so I shut them both off. But it was fun for a few min.

[ 04-26-2006, 11:34 PM: Message edited by: TheCrimsomBlade ]
Old 04-27-2006, 03:09 AM   #10
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by TheCrimsomBlade:
70 degrees wow Im now running 4-1Gb sticks and the hottest my comp has gotten up to is 58 degrees and I have it over clocked to 3.5Ghz. I got myself the new Heat pipe style heat sink and I've got everything in a Antec Sonata II case with twin Push pull 120 X 120 X 25.4 mm varable speed fans pumping 79CFM at 2000 RPM and they are quiet as a mouse. Fact is the only way I can even tell my comp is running is because the blue light on the front of the case is on and the screen is working. Oh yeah I also have a 92mm CPU fan attached to the the heat sink and it is set to speed up or slow down as needed automaticaly. Most of the time it stays at around 1200 to 1600 RPM but it did get up as high as 1780 RPM when I had both Oblivion running on one screen and Guild Wars rinning on the other. talk about confused PC characters trying to control both games with the same mouse and I had both my IBM style Keyboard working Oblivion and my Saitek Gaming Key board controlling Guild wars but only the one cordless optical track Ball mouse trying to control both games at the same time. My son and myself sat here LOAO watching the PC running the wrong way in one game and the other PC slamming against the walls in the other was really funny but I was mainly checking to see could the PC handle the stress and the only thing that got warm was one of my two ATI X1600 cards I'm running now it got up to 66 Degrees and the other only hit 60 but the CPU stayed at 57.3 at the higest. Oh and after about 5 min I got the message that I was running incompatable programs and that it may cause Damage if I continued so I shut them both off. But it was fun for a few min.
I never said my PC got to 70 degrees [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Only my video card gets that hot, if you read my earlier posts, you would see that my PC is running damn cold, and at high speeds

Also, my card is A LOT bigger and more powerfull than yours, hence the higher temp (not to mention(which I did [img]tongue.gif[/img] ) that I have turned the fan down)