Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2002, 04:55 AM   #1
Vampire

Hi, I don't want to start NWN with a useless character and since I can have a henchman and a familiar with a summoned as maximum I want everyone to point out potential problem swith this character. I just finished the prelude so I can start again...

General Wizard (Elf Male)
Str10 Dex16 Con12 Wis8 Int16 Char14

I though I would rely on weapon finese(rapier) to overide str and ranged longbow for combat. Is a low Wisdom okay? I needed High charisma for persuasion and a medium Con12 for highier HP.

My weapons so far are a longbow and rapier.

My 1st feat is Point Blank Shot as I want to avoid early melee combat.
Familiar: Fairy
Skills: 4 points on my spell and concentration, 2 points on open locks and traps, 1 points on persuasion etc.

Questions: When do I get my next feat?? (need combat casting!!!) and how many more skill points do I get when I level up?

Can I use all weapons/armour eventually with new skills?

P.S. Can my henchman level up and use new found weapons? How does my familiar level up (with me?>).
Thank you so much!
Old 07-25-2002, 05:10 AM   #2
Glorfindel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Ok... wel low wisdom will pretty well not do much.. but the major problem will be the lack of Will saving throw (AFAIK) which will mean fear attacks on you will really be a bummer...

personally I would be thinking of using staff's with a mage and get Daelen and the panther as henchman... but thats just me...

As for the Pixie Familiar... that wouldnt have been my choice... but you can still change it [img]smile.gif[/img] .. You dont really need the pixie if you are putting skill points in lock pick etc. You might want to change to the panther for a little extra grunt [img]smile.gif[/img]

As for the skills they look good [img]smile.gif[/img]

The next feat shouldnt be to long away... or at least not long enough for it to be any problem [img]smile.gif[/img]

Your Henchman WILL level up with you, same with your familiar (and each level up you get the oppurtunity to change your familiar) But you cannot give your henchman Items... BUT their Items and weapons will improve as they go up levels... so its all good [img]smile.gif[/img]
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2002, 05:23 AM   #3
Shadow101
Dungeon Master

the point in charisma are wasted, whenever you *need* to persuade someone you can usually drink an eagle splender potion and it'll work. eg my charisma is at 12 and whenever I need to persuade I can get it up to 15 and that leaves extra skill points for more important things
Shadow101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2002, 05:30 AM   #4
Glorfindel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

And if you get the Maulet of the Master just switch to that if you ever need it [img]smile.gif[/img]
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2002, 05:33 AM   #5
Morgan_Corbesant
Symbol of Cyric

actually, im going as a sorceror. you should use a panther or hell hound as a familiar. panther is my pick, it is a rogue, so it gets a sneak attack. once you level up a few times, and can afford to buy some magic arrows, you will be able to DESTROY anything that is locked. i say get a panther familiar, and a good tank for a henchman. (besides, for rp aspects i tried the pixie, but its "twinking" got annoying.
Morgan Corbesant, Elven BladeSinger, Captain of the army of the Seldarine<br /><br /> [img]\"http://www.rleeermey.com/images/linkbanners/usmcredwhiteblue.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />Protector of Elves<br />Slayer of Orcs<br /><br />ALL YOUR BASE, ARE BELONG TO US!!!<br />I DON\'T FIGHT FOR HONOR, I FIGHT TO WIN!<br />\"One who is a samurai must before all things keep constantly in mind, by day and by night...the fact that he has to die\". <br />-Daidoji Yuzan-<br />16th Century
Morgan_Corbesant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2002, 06:10 AM   #6
Eudoxus
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I'm playing a socerer with a pixie as a familiar & the barbarian
as henchman. If played carefully there is very few times we get wasted.
Maby next time I'll be a pure tank.
Eudoxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2002, 06:15 AM   #7
Vampire

Yeah i know the Pixie is a waste but I did it for Role Playing reasons! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Also when do I get another feat and how many?
Old 07-25-2002, 12:40 PM   #8
Blade
Emerald Dragon

As for the armor question, yes if you select the feats you can use any weapon or armor but the downside is that shields and armor give you a percentage change of spells failing on you unless you use metamagic feats, like still spell, to compinsate. For instence the dragon armor i just came across had a 45% spell failure rate and if you added a light shield it would be a 50% failure rate. Although this doesn't anyone elece but mages and socerers. Personally i found the pixe a good familiar at the start to open the locks and traps. Your stats are good but remember you will have to have 19 Int. to cast 9th level spells by the end of the game and you can only increase a stat every 4 levels.
Old 07-25-2002, 02:57 PM   #9
uss
20th Level Warrior

Im playing a Wizard, Daelan is my Henchman and my familiar is the pixie. I`d have to say that if you get a tank as a henchman, you HAVE to have pixie as the familiar! The whole game is full of traps and locks and my pixie is currently INVALUABLE!
uss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2002, 03:15 PM   #10
Shadow101
Dungeon Master

actually I didnt take the tank henchman, he seems abit boring to talk to so I have the rogue henchman instead since he can get traps etc and panther as familiar. With a skeleton cheiftan skeleton or animal summon aswell I can kill loads without even using magic. Btw is there any reason for all them other familiars they dont seem worth using
Shadow101 is offline   Reply With Quote