Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2002, 10:05 AM   #11
Garnet FalconDance
Mephistopheles

We're here, Evil Al. There's a broad range of people here, ages, experiences, outlooks. We're a wide flung family of nearly 7000 entirely different individuals--and we're all right here if you need to vent, ask for advice, or just want to gab. Heck, we'll even give advice when you *don't* ask for it!

Oh, and welcome to the insanity we like to call IW home! [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img]
Old 02-20-2002, 10:07 AM   #12
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

if you really want to try and avoid your problem, get a hobby like going to IW everyday, get a good RPG video game and play like hell and once your finish with that, get another one and so on. believe me that that is a very good distraction [img]smile.gif[/img] . of course you do have to watch out for grades and stuff. just listen to these people in IW (ironworks), because some of them share your experience and thiers may be even worse, yet they are still alive and posting here [img]smile.gif[/img] . so follow the phase "if they can do it, so can i" and just try your best. like someone said "you just gained 6000 new friends" [img]smile.gif[/img]

Catch me if you can..
Old 02-20-2002, 04:14 PM   #13
Evil Al
Drow Warrior

Thank you everyone for the advise. You don't know how much it means to me to know their are people out there who know what to say.
Maybe i can look at this in a different light. I could try and help my former friends to get their lives straight before it is too late for them (that's if they want help).
I have apologised to my friend for being untoward and she has said she would help me.
Also i went to the job center today and i'm going on a skill seakers training course in bussiness admin. I spoke to the director while arranging a time to come in and he said he doesn't care about my past all he cares about is that i'm trying to get my life back on the right track.
Once again thanks for the advise.
I\'m not bigheaded but go here and tell me just how sexy i am [url]\"http://www.faceparty.com/al_the_drunkard\" target=\"_blank\">www.faceparty.com/al_the_drunkard</a><br /><br />War in iraq? Not in my name!<br /><br />Disarm America.
Old 02-20-2002, 05:48 PM   #14
Buttercup
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Al, I hear you. I spent the years between 15 and 23 stoned. Everyday. Many of my friends died. Some of them did permanent damage to themselves.

But I quit. Years ago, I quit. I haven't done anything but have the occaisonal glass of wine or mixed drink for a long long time. I finished college, got a graduate degree, got married, and I have a happy, healthy productive life. You can too. It might mean you have to cut yourself off from your friends for a while, if you can't say no when you are around them. But the rewards are great.

Don't give up.
Old 02-20-2002, 10:24 PM   #15
Moni

quote:
Originally posted by Evil Al:
Thank you everyone for the advise. You don't know how much it means to me to know their are people out there who know what to say.
Maybe i can look at this in a different light. I could try and help my former friends to get their lives straight before it is too late for them (that's if they want help).
I have apologised to my friend for being untoward and she has said she would help me.
Also i went to the job center today and i'm going on a skill seakers training course in bussiness admin. I spoke to the director while arranging a time to come in and he said he doesn't care about my past all he cares about is that i'm trying to get my life back on the right track.
Once again thanks for the advise.

Fantastic.
I wish you the best!

Old 02-20-2002, 11:52 PM   #16
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

That's GREAT news about the job center, AL.
The director sounds like a fair and just person. This is what I was saying last night...you will find a LOT of employers don't care about your past (after all, thiers may have been very similar). All they care about is whether you do your job well or not.

Waaaaay back in the 70's, there was a popular commercial here in America with an optimistic message that may serve as a good "mantra" for the journey you're beginning.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life

Like I said before, AL, your life isn't over....it's JUST now beginning.

May God watch over you and carry you through the rest of your journey.
Old 02-21-2002, 12:33 AM   #17
Scholarcs
Red Dragon

Remember Evil Al, there are lots of people out there who care for you!
<br />\"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five\" - Groucho Marx<br />Member of the ORT Clan. <br />\"Some birds are not meant to be caged because their feathers are too bright\"<br />Ma bouche sera la bouche des malheurs qui n\'ont point de bouche, ma voix, la liberté de celles qui s\'affaissent au cachot du désespoir. - Aimé Césaire<br />La plus perdue de toutes les journées est celle où l\'on n\'a pas ri. - Sébastien Roch Nicolas
Old 02-21-2002, 08:06 AM   #18
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Evil Al, never underestimate the power of the human spirit to overcome adversity. I was in a similar situation to you about 4 years ago when I was 24, partying, drinking, popping e and snorting coke every weekend, but I got over it because I realised that my whole life was in front of me and I was not taking advantages of the opportunities that were in front of me, and I was throwing my life (and my hard-earned money) away. The turning point was realizing I had a problem and wanting to do something about it. I won't lie to you, it wasn't easy, because I had to change habits that were in place for some time AND hold down a high-stress job. BUT I did get over it - all I needed was resolve and commitment to make my life better.

Now my whole life IS in front of me. I've got a great job and lots of friends who love me, and I don't feel like there's anything that I can't achieve in life. I feel like I've looked into the Abyss and survived. What didn't break me has made me stronger. The pit looks deep right now, but you *can* climb out of it. Many people have. Day one starts TODAY. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Don't lose heart. You've got to WANT to change your life - and I sense that you do. Join a support group if you don't feel you can do it on your own. Friends that don't care about you, ■■■■ them off. Drug friends, ■■■■ them off. You don't need them! Talk to people, that always helps. Get it off your chest. Do one thing a day that makes you feel good about yourself, and go from there. Smile at someone. Make someone happy. Small steps lead to big leaps. Rebuild your faith in yourself to overcome.

Take care, God bless, and we're here for you if you need us - and I mean that. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 02-23-2002: Message edited by: Memnoch ]

Old 02-21-2002, 09:12 AM   #19
Evil Al
Drow Warrior

Memnoch you are right I can over come this with the help of all my friends in the IW and my friends in the "real world".
I didn't know that so many people have been in the same boat as me. It really helps to hear people saying that they have been there before and have got through it. I just hope that I can be as strong as those people. But with over 7000 people and myself behind me, how can I fail? I owe it to myself, everyone I let down in the past and everyone who is helping me.
Things are already starting to look up [img]smile.gif[/img] .
Thank you everyone once again for the advice and the prayers.
I\'m not bigheaded but go here and tell me just how sexy i am [url]\"http://www.faceparty.com/al_the_drunkard\" target=\"_blank\">www.faceparty.com/al_the_drunkard</a><br /><br />War in iraq? Not in my name!<br /><br />Disarm America.
Old 02-21-2002, 11:16 AM   #20
Talthyr Malkaviel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I totally agree with JR, because I know of someone who was badly addicted, and life was messing up, but he started a hobby and was really dedicated and enjoying it, he not only was too busy with his hobby, but was spending his money on it and was no lonnger with those so called 'friends.'