Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2002, 08:39 AM   #1
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Ok, I have a *minor* problem
For some reason, my CD ROM drive doesn't pick up the CD's/DVD's/ETC in it. Highly frustrating of course. I already tried cleaning it, checking it in DOS and rebooting a few times.
No effect.
At this point, I would appriciate any advice.
Thanks in advance.
Old 05-19-2002, 09:02 AM   #2
andrewas
Harper

Tricky one that. I assume youve made sure that all the drivers and stuff are still installed? And that none of the cables have fallen out the back.

If you have checked all that, then it sounds as if the drives dead.
Old 05-19-2002, 10:55 AM   #3
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by andrewas:
Tricky one that. I assume youve made sure that all the drivers and stuff are still installed? And that none of the cables have fallen out the back.

If you have checked all that, then it sounds as if the drives dead.
I checked the drivers and all. But I haven't opened it up yet. I like to explore all the other options before taking the computer appart, since it usually takes me quite alot of time.
Old 05-19-2002, 11:55 AM   #4
Sorcerer Alex

Try right clicking 'my computer' and selecting 'properties' - then go to 'performances' then click 'file system' in the bottom left hand corner. Select the 'cd-rom' tab then select 'no read ahead'. This once worked for me, it might not for you, though.

Old 05-19-2002, 12:16 PM   #5
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

i recomend opening up the cache and checking the wires, if all is in order then try using a cleaning wipe to clean the laser eye lense... if that doesn't fix anything then perhaps your drive is dead eh?
Old 05-19-2002, 12:26 PM   #6
andrewas
Harper

Quote:
Originally posted by /)eathKiller:
i recomend opening up the cache and checking the wires, if all is in order then try using a cleaning wipe to clean the laser eye lense... if that doesn't fix anything then perhaps your drive is dead eh?
Uh, /)eathkiller? In order to get at the lens on your average PC CD-ROM you have to do some fairly severe dismantling, and break the warranty seal. At least on the tray types it does, if you have a caddy system it would maybe be easier to get at. Anyway, its far easier to get a standard head-cleaner CD (audio, PSX, theyre all the same) and try that.

But in this case it sounds more severe than would be cause by a dirty lens. Desides dreamers already cleaned it. Unless a cable has come loose i think its dead.

Oh, BTW, does BIOS detect your CD-ROM on boot-up?
Old 05-19-2002, 03:48 PM   #7
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Well, I just took it appart and couldn't find anything. So, we'll try putting it in another computer and see if that makes a difference. If it doesn't work, I'll buy another one tomorrow. I could use some help with that too btw. The computer its for is my old PII 350 which I mostly use for older games like Baldurs Gate: TOB(yes, I consider that an older game). So I don't need a state of the art CD Rom drive. Question is, which one should I buy? Is 32speed enough?
Old 05-19-2002, 04:04 PM   #8
andrewas
Harper

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreamer128:
Well, I just took it appart and couldn't find anything. So, we'll try putting it in another computer and see if that makes a difference. If it doesn't work, I'll buy another one tomorrow. I could use some help with that too btw. The computer its for is my old PII 350 which I mostly use for older games like Baldurs Gate: TOB(yes, I consider that an older game). So I don't need a state of the art CD Rom drive. Question is, which one should I buy? Is 32speed enough?
Well i've never heard of someone buying a CD-ROM drive that was too fast, so go for as good as you can get. Or even a DVD-ROM, I know its hardly as essential as people were saying it would be, but its still nice to be able to get a movie on a single disc.

Buy anything above 8-speed will work with every game ive seen. I use a 32 myself.