Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2004, 05:17 AM   #11
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Did you send the error report? If so, did you get a return message on the report? Sometimes I would get a click here thing for solutions to what ever problem I was having. I never sent so many error reports anywhere as I did once I started using XP. Haven't had a lot of problems with this xp system yet, but don't want to jinx myself. Another point, be sure to shut down any applications that may be running in the background. Could be that it's a memory usage problem.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 01:29 PM   #12
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Rolled back to old drivers, defragmented the disk (and it sure needed defragmenting). I was just about to report success after 1 hour of uninterrupted playing when the game froze again. Same thing: game freezes sound loops.
The thing is I've been playing the game for over a month now without this ever happening till few days ago. And since I started playing I havent added anything, changed anyting, installed anything new (except the video card drivers and that was a quite a few days before this problem appeared) or added any new hardware or anything. That's why I think something happened to the game itself and reinstalling is the solution.
Guess I will wait till december and then download the manual update, and till then play the game as it is.

And thank you all for your input.
Old 11-18-2004, 02:44 PM   #13
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

Try fiddleing around with your sound settings and reinstalling or getting new sound drivers.

Update your Direct X Drivers as well.

For a test also try disabling your sound all together and see if that crashes.

BTW did you set the size of your NWN cache?
Old 11-18-2004, 03:10 PM   #14
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Quote:
Originally posted by T-D-C:
Try fiddleing around with your sound settings and reinstalling or getting new sound drivers.

Update your Direct X Drivers as well.

For a test also try disabling your sound all together and see if that crashes.

BTW did you set the size of your NWN cache?
Problem is like I said this last time the game crashed after 1 hour of playing... so it's difficult disabling sound and waiting for 1 hour to see what happens...

No, I havent set the size of cache... will do so... but I doubt that's what the proble is. Also I dont think it the sound because... like I said I have been playing for more than a month properly without the game crashing... if there was a problem with the sound or cache the game wouldve crashed before... I think...
Old 11-18-2004, 03:48 PM   #15
ZFR
Legion Symbol

UPDATE (no pun intended):
Just updated my Direct X drivers, reinstalled my sound drivers and set the size of NWN cache, checked for spyware/adware using lavasoft ad-aware (nothing was found).

Time to play and test it out.
If this didnt help then like I said I'll wait till December. After it crashes I can simply quit and restart the game without restarting my computer so it's not that painful (pretty annoying nevertheless). I'll just have to save often.

Thanks TDC. Appreciate your help.

[ 11-18-2004, 04:37 PM: Message edited by: ZFR ]
Old 11-19-2004, 04:54 AM   #16
ZFR
Legion Symbol

No... nothing seems to work
Old 11-19-2004, 05:17 AM   #17
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

Aww crap sorry that it doesn't seem to be working. You could try the Bioware technical forums for some more help.
Old 11-19-2004, 07:14 AM   #18
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Quote:
Originally posted by T-D-C:
You could try the Bioware technical forums for some more help.
Problem solved! 1 and a half hours of uninterrupted game.
I went to the bioware forums and there was one thread about a similar problem after installing SP2. So I remebered that few days ago I too ran windows update and installed all those crazy Windows XP fixes.
I uninstalled them and problem seems to be solved.
Thanks all.
Old 11-21-2004, 05:31 PM   #19
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

Excellent glad to hear that its all ok. Now all you need to do is in december download the 1.64 patch and keep it on a seperate HDD or burn it onto a CD with some other game patches.