Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2001, 11:24 AM   #121
Ramon de Ramon y Ramon
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by bilqis:
Ah Ramon, ever the gentleman!

How was my answer 'unamerican'? Let me assure you I'm not offended by that statement, simply curious as to the reason/meaning of it?

No, my husband is not Arab. He's an american of Onandaga Indian, Scottish/Irish decent from Syracuse NY. He did his undergrad work in Arabic though, and after spending 6 months in Egypt to perfect his Arabic, he joined Peace Corps. I met him while he was at the end of his PC tour in Yemen, and I was at the beginning of mine.

More detail than you probably wanted! ha!

Bilqis, I am insatiable when it comes to details on people I have elected to like.

Unamerican, well that is a touchy one, I feel like I have opened the proverbial Pandora's box of generalizations and stereotypes, but anyway: I think that in American daily life culture conversation on a "small talk" level plays a more prominent role than, for instance, in Germany. The positive effect of that is that it makes for a friendlier atmosphere when dealing with strangers or semi-strangers in a public or semi-public setting. On the negative side, conversation like that tends to stay and has to stay more superficial. (Note: By that I do NOT to intend to associate myself with the, unfortunately, popular European myth that human/social interaction in America in general tends to be more superficial.) Anyway, in our case that meant when you ended one of your earlier posts with "how are you ? " I, at first, felt compelled to dismiss that as a kind of "conversational reflex" and not to answer that part at all. So, when I did answer, asked myself and your answer was more open than the prototypical "I'm fine, thanks" I was pleasantly surprised.

I imagine speaking Arab to each other, when you share the same native language, to be quite exhausting and requiring lots of discipline. During my first months in Barcelona, Tim, the Londoner with whom I shared the flat, and I at one point pledged to speak Spanish to each other to practice as we both still did not know
many Spaniards. We soon resorted back to English, because talking to each other in a language other than our best common one, was very tiresome and felt very strange.

Always an extreme pleasure talking to you !

------------------
So long !

R³ - Co-president(s) of the Club of Broken Hearts

[This message has been edited by Ramon de Ramon y Ramon (edited 04-01-2001).]
Old 04-01-2001, 01:34 PM   #122
ratbag
Elite Waterdeep Guard

HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A BOARD MEMBER?
a few weeks
WHAT'S YOUR REAL FIRST NAME?
Gary
GOT ANY ANIMALS?
not any more
APARTMENT, HOUSE, HIGHRISE OR TOWNHOUSE?
see newbie post in general discussion board (Re: ratbag)
Bungalow with parents if you can't be bothered
ARE YOU RELIGIOUS?
Not really, spiritual yes
BALL POINTS OR FELT TIPS?
Leaky Ball Points. Although I do like having my Tips Felt
WHY DO YOU PLAY RPGS?
Escapism
WHAT CAR/TRUCK DO YOU DRIVE?
Other peoples ,usually my parents
DO YOU CLICK ON ZIROC'S SPONSOR'S ADS?
Not yet
WHAT KIND OF WORK DO YOU DO (OCCUPATION)?
None at the moment (Bum).Repository of uselees information
WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE TYPE OF MUSIC (COUNTRY, ROCK, POP, BLUES, CLASSICAL, ETC.)?

Allsorts except Disco. I,m a bit of a 'Deadhead' as well. Zappa,Zeppelin....
I was very tempted just to put ETC.
HOW MANY BROTHERS AND SISTERS?
One .
WHICH IS BETTER, MOUNTAINS OR BEACHES?
I know this might not be helpful but a mountain next to a beach would be perfection.
WaayHey. Stuff Bungy jumping How about Mountain splatting (How do you jump a bungy anyway)
IF YOU WENT ON "SURVIVOR," WHAT LUXURY ITEM WOULD YOU CHOOSE?
Guitar
CHIPS OR DORITOS?
Chips
WHAT WAS YOUR WORST NIGHTMARE (DREAMING KIND)?
When I very young I had one where my bed was being stampeded by giant Technicoloured spiders.
When I looked over to my brother, who was asleep, there was a FU***** big Mushroom looking him
up and down .
Then I grew and took Acid (Some people never learn).
I also occassionally suffer from 'Night Nurse' Paralysis'(Waking up still dreaming and not be able to move at all)

WHAT DO YOUR FAMILY/FRIENDS THINK OF YOU SPENDING TIME ON THIS BOARD?
They don't know about it yet
WHAT'S YOUR TOP 3 FAVORITE GAMES OF THE PAST 2 YEARS?
BGII, Torment, ummm, I'll come back on that one
DEATH PENALTY OR NOT?
Seriously. No
ARE YOU PLANNING ON STICKING AROUND ON THIS BOARD?
Yup
Let me guess everyone else is gonna bugger off somewhere else now
------------------------------------

But it can't be killed by human Hand.
What, you mean?
Yes, he's going to have to use his feet
Old 04-01-2001, 07:32 PM   #123
Scronan
Zhentarim Guard

Hi Cloudbringer,

Well, I'm normally a shy and secretive type, but since you asked, here goes:

Wep, I'm bored. Thought to continue Melusine's earlier idea and post a few more questions to get to know us a little better Please everyone indulge me?

Since WW came out...last September?

Erick. With a c and k. Long story......

GOT ANY ANIMALS?

A few pet Scorpions. I have pictures!

apartment...not so nice, but its MINE MINE MINE! No roommates. Did I mention its MINE! MINE!

MIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINE!
*whew!*

ARE YOU RELIGIOUS?

I live what would could be called a religious life..but it is just my life, and I am just me.

Ball point. Felt is for commies, weirdos, and perverts.

WHY DO YOU PLAY RPGS?

Because they are engaging and fun!

94' Toyota Tercel...I hate driving. Very much. Prefer to be on the ground and on my own two feet...not whizzing by in a big hunk of metal and plastic.

Muchas perdones Senora, por una momento, no comprendes Inlges. Come te llamas? Mi gustan comida muy caliente...ahh...que hora es? Que tiempo hace? Donde es mis pelotas?

I work as a computer tech on weekdays. And starting on weekends, I'm doing massage therapy. Quite a combonation!

WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE TYPE OF MUSIC (COUNTRY, ROCK, POP, BLUES, CLASSICAL, ETC.)?

I like so many kinds....too many to say. Just about anything...and I'm starting to appreciate and like *some* country.

3 brothers, 1 sister. She isnt single, so dont ask.

Beaches...I grew up in Northern California in a little beach town. I love the beach....more than any other landscape.

Excuse my ignorance...I dont watch or own a TV...so I have never seen it. Sounds pretty stupid to me. If I was stranded with a lot of beautiful women on a deserted island...I'd want a very large box of condoms.

CHIPS OR DORITOS?

Neither. Bad 4 U. You dont want to know how I eat *healthy*! PERISH THE THOUGHT!! AGHHHHHHHHH!

I like nightmares.

They dont know about it. If they said anything, I'd say "you may royally kiss my ass." Thank you for asking.

1. Wizards and Warriors
Havent played much else.

DEATH PENALTY OR NOT?

Not. We need to learn that two wrongs dont make a right. Castration is a much better way for those pedafiles. No repeat offenses then.

Sure! So many cool people here! I'm glad to be aboard.

Yee ha!!!!

Scronan

Old 04-02-2001, 05:56 PM   #124
Ramon de Ramon y Ramon
Red Dragon

Bump for LW (absent) and Bilqis (hopefully present) !

------------------
So long !

Old 04-03-2001, 08:26 AM   #125
PreciousGollum
Elite Waterdeep Guard

3 days

Tim

GOT ANY ANIMALS?
Goldfish,cat (not the best combination eh?)

House

ARE YOU RELIGIOUS?
No

Ball pionts

WHY DO YOU PLAY RPGS?
Dragons!

Don't drive

No

Landscape gardener

WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE TYPE OF MUSIC?
Slowburner beats/jazz

1 brother

Mountains (fresh air,great view,no pearly white buttox!)

Thermal pants

CHIPS OR DORITOS?
Chips (chrisps for non Americans)

David bowie,a bonfire and a hand (don't ask!)

I don't know

Monkey Island III
Age of Empires II
Thief II

DEATH PENALTY OR NOT?
I don't know

Are you planning to keep me entertained?

------------------
"It hurts us,it hurts us.It freezes,it bites!"
Old 04-03-2001, 08:50 AM   #126
bilqis
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Ramon de Ramon y Ramon:

Bilqis, I am insatiable when it comes to details on people I have elected to like.

Unamerican, well that is a touchy one, I feel like I have opened the proverbial Pandora's box of generalizations and stereotypes, but anyway: I think that in American daily life culture conversation on a "small talk" level plays a more prominent role than, for instance, in Germany. The positive effect of that is that it makes for a friendlier atmosphere when dealing with strangers or semi-strangers in a public or semi-public setting. On the negative side, conversation like that tends to stay and has to stay more superficial. (Note: By that I do NOT to intend to associate myself with the, unfortunately, popular European myth that human/social interaction in America in general tends to be more superficial.) Anyway, in our case that meant when you ended one of your earlier posts with "how are you ? " I, at first, felt compelled to dismiss that as a kind of "conversational reflex" and not to answer that part at all. So, when I did answer, asked myself and your answer was more open than the prototypical "I'm fine, thanks" I was pleasantly surprised.

I imagine speaking Arab to each other, when you share the same native language, to be quite exhausting and requiring lots of discipline. During my first months in Barcelona, Tim, the Londoner with whom I shared the flat, and I at one point pledged to speak Spanish to each other to practice as we both still did not know
many Spaniards. We soon resorted back to English, because talking to each other in a language other than our best common one, was very tiresome and felt very strange.

Always an extreme pleasure talking to you !

Wow! I'm flattered! That means a lot coming from someone who I respect for his intelligence, wit, and ability to communicate his thoughts as well as you do. And I like to think I'm not the 'typical American'.
DISCLAIMER: No insult, implied or otherwise, to anyone who feels they are a typical American. Sorry if I offended anyone.

Seriously tho, I agree about small talk. Minnesota is known for being "nice". Minnesota-Nice is actually a phrase used here a lot in both a positive and negative way. Positive being as you said, that people are friendlier in all public situations. One comment many Americans make about some places around the globe is that people/clerks/waiters etc are so rude. What I believe they are noticing tho, is what you just stated about cultural differences in small-talk.

The negative side of "Minnesota-Nice" is that people are so 'nice' that they won't tell you when they're unhappy about something, or voice a contrary opinion to your face, but will go around slamming it behind your back. You 'just don't say anything that might hurt anyone', is the prevailing attitude. Very sad. I made a concious decision at an early age to not be that way. Not that I seek out things to say to hurt people!! LOL Just that I think it's ok when people have opposing opinions. Doesn't make us enemies. We're all entitled to our own views.

I only ask people how they are if I want to know and I'm ready to give a genuine answer back. And if I say I'm fine, then I'm either really fine, or there's just too much to tell someone at the moment. LOL

Sorry I missed this earlier.. hope you catch it!

Thanks again for your kind words.

------------------

Sometimes I think I
understand everything,
then I regain consciousness.

Most Happy Taker of Zeeke
and member of the
Moon's Hope Inn
Ladies Guild

[This message has been edited by bilqis (edited 04-03-2001).]
Old 04-03-2001, 08:59 AM   #127
dafan

how the hell can you write that muchg ????

------------------
I always let my sword talk
Old 04-03-2001, 09:07 AM   #128
dafan

2- maybe 3 weeks
David
GOT ANY ANIMALS?
cat
Big house on a hill
ARE YOU RELIGIOUS?
No

WHY DO YOU PLAY RPGS?
for fun
Ford Ka and Mondeo
Noop
Study
tecno and dance
one sister
beaches compared with mountains
spare socks
CHIPS OR DORITOS?
chips
never remember any
stupid/can't understand
BG2,Diablo 2, heroes of might and magic
DEATH PENALTY OR NOT?
not
yepp/ for a while

------------------
I always let my sword talk
Old 04-03-2001, 01:10 PM   #129
bilqis
Symbol of Cyric

Bumping for Ramon.

Oh And Welcome Back LadyZekke!!

------------------

Sometimes I think I
understand everything,
then I regain consciousness.

Most Happy Taker of Zeeke
and member of the
Moon's Hope Inn
Ladies Guild
Old 04-03-2001, 02:04 PM   #130
Ramon de Ramon y Ramon
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by bilqis:
Wow! I'm flattered! That means a lot coming from someone who I respect for his intelligence, wit, and ability to communicate his thoughts as well as you do. And I like to think I'm not the 'typical American'.
DISCLAIMER: No insult, implied or otherwise, to anyone who feels they are a typical American. Sorry if I offended anyone.

Seriously tho, I agree about small talk. Minnesota is known for being "nice". Minnesota-Nice is actually a phrase used here a lot in both a positive and negative way. Positive being as you said, that people are friendlier in all public situations. One comment many Americans make about some places around the globe is that people/clerks/waiters etc are so rude. What I believe they are noticing tho, is what you just stated about cultural differences in small-talk.

The negative side of "Minnesota-Nice" is that people are so 'nice' that they won't tell you when they're unhappy about something, or voice a contrary opinion to your face, but will go around slamming it behind your back. You 'just don't say anything that might hurt anyone', is the prevailing attitude. Very sad. I made a concious decision at an early age to not be that way. Not that I seek out things to say to hurt people!! LOL Just that I think it's ok when people have opposing opinions. Doesn't make us enemies. We're all entitled to our own views.

I only ask people how they are if I want to know and I'm ready to give a genuine answer back. And if I say I'm fine, then I'm either really fine, or there's just too much to tell someone at the moment. LOL

Sorry I missed this earlier.. hope you catch it!

Thanks again for your kind words.

Whose turn is it now to say: "Wow, I am flattered !" and to blush?

I won't go into much detail on the things you write, other than to say that I understand your observations and share your sentiments, as I spent most of the day on Reeka's thread and am mentally drained and as I have just been told off by Yorick and accused of "America-bashing" - and I for sure have no intention to become a "habitual offender". Not that I saw much reason for that happening here.

I hope next time we "meet" I'll be back at full strength.

Thanks for all !

LW is back ? Yipee !

------------------
So long !