Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2001, 08:52 PM   #11
Artemis
Dungeon Master

Yes, if you try to just go toe-to-toe with them early in the game without a strategy, you're likely to get smoked. What worked for me was to open the battle with several hold/charm spells, one summon spell, and have the other players start gunning for the mage. I charmed the thief (whose backstab can do serious damage), put the summoned creature in front of the dwarf, put my warriors on orcslicer, and then had my magic users take down the mage after the initial hits on him in the opening round. Worked like a charm...

I'd say getting a charm or hold spell to catch in the opening round is critical to swinging the odds. Hope this helps.
Old 03-12-2001, 09:17 PM   #12
Jimbo
The Magister

Well, here is a strategy, and its on the thief, lure, block, and kill type

Spoilers.....
>
>

>
>
>
>

>>
When I came out of Jon Irenicus Dungeon (where you start and escape from), I went and got me a few gem bags and scroll cases, bought a haste scroll, and headed to the circus tent. Don't sell anything till you have done the circus tent and gotten the gear, and Aerie from there. Head over and sell some stuff, and get Aerie to memorize some of the scrolls, especially haste. This put me over level 9 as a fighter, and got Yoshi up too (I put points into his traps btw, all into his traps), make sure you still have the potion of master thievery from the dungeon, go to the inn, arrange spell book for summoning, debuffing, and buffing, and make sure everyone has a range weapon and ammo.

Now rest up, go upstairs and tell them you are leaving, then have yoshi lay a trap on the mage, pooky (the familar quast), dwarf, with his special traps, then put the other of his traps on the other two. Next move in your thief if your playing one and set traps on them too. Now back out, have Aerie summon skeletons, and Jaheria some Nymphs and wood creatures. Put 2 each of the summoned monsters on the barbarian and thief. Have Minsic and Yoshi stand in the door way, cast haste on everyone, bless, holy armour etc... then target the mage, I usually cast a miscast magic on him, then a miscast magic on pooky. You can go for an entangle to start it off too. After the mages are out, I have Jaheria insect him, and Aerie slow him sometimes. Usually the Arrow damage from Minsic, Yoshi, and me, and the summoned monsters keeping the thief and barb busy, you can pick them off easier that way. Alot of times I have scored a double kill with one shot on the mage and familar, trap goes off, and there dead. You don't get experience from them if the trap kills them, but if you say have the trap go off, and you kill them you do.

Btw the entangle and web won't stop the dwarf since he is beserk. It will stop or slow down the barb and thief.

So to sum it up, traps, summons some critters, buff up party, open up with miscast magic and/or web spells with an attack by your archers. Take out the mage, familar, thief, then barb and then it usually went down to a slug fest with the three of us hitting the dwarf and Jaheira and Aerie healing, and slowing him down.

Now, I told you to bring that potion of mastery thievery with you, as you will need yoshi to drink it and be able to open some chests (check for traps allways... nuf' said...), then you can loot and sell, and then decied what to do from there. That potion lasts for 12hours... hmmm, exploring some places and unlocking things might be right.

If you have any more specific questions (like your an assasin which one to take on first, or what would you cast on them to debuff each one of them) fire away, and I'll try not to ramble on to much.

------------------
Drink and be merry
Jimbo
Old 03-12-2001, 11:29 PM   #13
el_kalkylus
Drizzt Do'Urden

I found out that you can cast silence how many times you want on them without anyone turning hostile. This is very useful. Have Jaheira memorize 2 silence, and pooky and the mage will almost for certain be silenced, and you don't have to worry about them anymore. The nymph is also great. Too bad you haven't found that scroll, because it would make the battle fullproof if you had.
Old 03-13-2001, 01:43 AM   #14
Valhakar
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Well I finished the fight.

I went to Chapter 2 and picked up the mage/thief. Went back and laid snare straps around everyone cept the dwarf. Then I pulled the dwarf alone down stairs and finished him off. I then Would run up stairs and bring them down one at a time as the snare traps wore off at different times.

Ran back up stairs and finished off Pookey and the mage last. My main is a fighter with maxed (3 crosses) 2 hand sword and 2 hand weapon. The rogue and mage took one "earth shaking hit" each to kill. The barbarian took 3.
Old 03-13-2001, 01:50 AM   #15
Accord
Ninja Storm Shadow

Glad to hear it is over.....although I was starting to like Pooky (imagining BOO can talk too)....hmmmmmm

------------------
Long live H22A1!!!!!
Old 03-13-2001, 01:51 AM   #16
Barbucha
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo:

Btw the entangle and web won't stop the dwarf since he is beserk. It will stop or slow down the barb and thief.

Web stops the dwarf. I cast web and entangle on them before they turn hostile and some fireballs finish them. First fireball on mage.

------------------
Old 03-13-2001, 04:37 AM   #17
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

One of the most underrated spells in the game for disabling groups of enemies is Emotion. Use it on these guys. You won't be disappointed.

------------------
Memnoch - Custodian of the Order of the Holy Flame
Old 03-13-2001, 03:43 PM   #18
el_kalkylus
Drizzt Do'Urden

Yes, I agree with Memnoch. I don't know if it was you or Yorick who said that one time, Memnoch, but I tried it out some weeks ago, and I really liked it. Two emotion spells at once is really making wonders to almost every monsters in the beginning. (or one)
Old 03-13-2001, 05:03 PM   #19
Hesperex

I agree with Memnoch, Emotion is a very! underated spell speacially early on in the game, it can mean the diffeance between wining and loseing a fight when used wisely.

------------------

Master Assassin of the Holy Flame.
My website http://hesperex.8k.com

[This message has been edited by Hesperex (edited 03-13-2001).]

Old 03-14-2001, 12:27 AM   #20
Lifetime
Red Dragon

Emotion? Never used it in any game *hangs head in shame*
I generally dont like any spell which has to do with mind control like confusion, feeblemind etc, so I hardly ever use them. All it does is make your enemies wander off somewhere so its harder to gather up your treasure when its all over
Oh about defeating them..Its rather easy. Just buff up your characters, plant traps and backstab the mage, then mop up with Minsc and Jahiera, while healing everyone with Aerie.

------------------
Why?