Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2002, 07:25 AM   #11
Lord Shield

As I have found out, some things are better as friends than lovers anyway.

I can't think of any ex's i split up with in a narky manner, though I have lost touch with many of them

Old 08-29-2002, 08:06 AM   #12
The Hunter of Jahanna
Emerald Dragon

They are an EX for a reason. If it was posibble to be friends they wouldnt be refered to as EXs , they would be refered to as friends.

i.e. Instead of saying this is my Ex girlfriend the fire breathing troll skank, I would say this is my friend Jen.

[ 08-29-2002, 08:08 AM: Message edited by: The Hunter of Jahanna ]
Old 08-29-2002, 08:10 AM   #13
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by The Hunter of Jahanna:
They are an EX for a reason. If it was posibble to be friends they wouldnt be refered to as EXs , they would be refered to as friends.
Sheesh - just because the two of you are not suited for a relationship doesn't mean you aren't suited for a friendship. Some break-ups aren't very nasty at all, sometimes you both agree on it. Even if there *is* resentment at first, there was a reason why you liked your ex in the first place, so there's often a basis for friendship.
I'm glad I have a different opinion about this, I'd hate to be on bad terms with every guy I ever dated.
Old 08-29-2002, 09:01 AM   #14
Epona
Zartan

Well I lived with a bloke for 11 years, and it went horribly wrong after about 5 of them (yes, I know, should have got out sooner!) It was pretty horrible when we first broke up, for a few months after we would row whenever we met and he was suffering from depression both before and after the split, from which he now seems to have recovered. But now we are really good friends, in fact I would say he is one of my best mates. We usually go out once or twice a week for lunch or a drink, when one of my mates died recently, he was the person I went to when I was first told.

There is absolutely nothing between us other than friendship (and I am happily involved with someone else now [img]smile.gif[/img] and ex is getting back onto the dating circuit). I am glad it worked out the way it has, the time we spent together was not for nothing, we have a lot of good memories and a strong friendship.
Old 08-29-2002, 09:04 AM   #15
Melusine
Dracolisk

Wow.... happy to hear that Epona [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-29-2002, 10:54 AM   #16
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

I usually don't have too many problems. You're always going to have some measure of awkwardness. Getting past it takes a fair measure of confidence and friendly personability. You can though. Breaking up with someone and leaving them with their self-respect can be tough.
Old 08-29-2002, 11:37 AM   #17
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Nothing wrong with staying friends, but sometimes it's better to keep your distance. You or she might hope on a little more than friendship. Let me put it like this: once i've read a book, i close it, lay it away, and move on to the next book.
Old 08-29-2002, 10:00 PM   #18
The Ornery One
Drow Warrior

The Hierophant - There are many comments I agree on here. It's fairly common to be friends with someone after a break-up, even if it takes a few days or weeks for hurt feelings to heal. A few couples I've known worked much better as friends that occationally dated, than as b/f and g/f. If your ex is going to be snooty towards you even after so long, that's her problem. Just keep in mind the ones that are still friendly.

Melusine - Envy you still having a way to contact your ex. Lost touch with most of mine after I'd gotten married. Keep that friendship going!
Old 08-30-2002, 06:20 AM   #19
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by Epona:
Well I lived with a bloke for 11 years, and it went horribly wrong after about 5 of them (yes, I know, should have got out sooner!) It was pretty horrible when we first broke up, for a few months after we would row whenever we met and he was suffering from depression both before and after the split, from which he now seems to have recovered. But now we are really good friends, in fact I would say he is one of my best mates. We usually go out once or twice a week for lunch or a drink, when one of my mates died recently, he was the person I went to when I was first told.

There is absolutely nothing between us other than friendship (and I am happily involved with someone else now [img]smile.gif[/img] and ex is getting back onto the dating circuit). I am glad it worked out the way it has, the time we spent together was not for nothing, we have a lot of good memories and a strong friendship.
That's awesome. Always good to hear those sorts of stories. Makes it easier to keep the faith that things can always work out, not matter how hard they get [img]smile.gif[/img] I'm glad you were able to reconcile the friendship, especially to such a strong degree.
Old 08-30-2002, 06:22 AM   #20
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
Let me put it like this: once i've read a book, i close it, lay it away, and move on to the next book.
Heh heh, sage advice if ever I heard it. You're always full of practical know-how johnny [img]smile.gif[/img]