Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2002, 01:33 PM   #1
Rolper
Dungeon Master

I did play and finish IWD but my aprt. was robbed, now I'm on a different PC. Loaded IWD only to allow How to be installed , imported "canned" char. Fighter, Pal, Mage , Thief, Cler, Druid.
Completed 1st village, try to go east to the Barbarian Camp.
The leaving travel symbol appears and the game locks... the only recovery is power off!
Pent II 333
32mb ram
Soundblaster
S3 Unc. Trio3d
Tried cutting off all sound, no dither, no shadows etc. to try to minimumize used resources....?
Rolper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2002, 06:25 PM   #2
Durwyn
Elminster

Ahh, well first off sorry about what happend, by the way is everything ok? And how did it happen? If you dont mind of course heh...

Well in any case, there is not much you can do there. First thing I would look at is, do you have all the latest patches installed? You need 1.41 patch for Heart of Winter. You can download it from www.gamebanshee.com or the official IWD Interplay site. You may also want to download the couple expansion levels called "Trials of Luremaster". Which automatically patches your IWD and HoW.

Second thing I would look at is man, 32 MB RAM? That may be a prob as well.

So its either the patches, or its your comp, in which case not much you can do but to get some upgrades. I mean go to Best Buy or Comp USA or something, you can get 128 MB of RAM for like 30$ [img]smile.gif[/img] .

Good luck.
Old 01-13-2002, 01:43 PM   #3
Rolper
Dungeon Master

Actually, since I was barely started with HoW,I decided to check out this "Trials of Lure" extention. After a 4 hour download I reloaded IWD and tried to add ToL to it, it seems to be looking for (scanned packet) HoW to be loaded. I think what I'm going to do is play IWD to completion which will give me a party of my own chosing for HoW,and upgrade to 132mb some where along the line before loading How and ToL.
Where does ToL start? B4 HoW? I had the impression that it was an add-on to the original because players complained of the shortness of IWD.
Thanks for the post... will let ya know what happens when it does.
Old 01-13-2002, 03:28 PM   #4
Durwyn
Elminster

Trials of Luremaster starts in Lonleywood, The Whistling Gallows Inn in Heart of Winter.

So yeap, get HoW first then install Tirals of Luremaster. And get that RAM fixed up [img]smile.gif[/img] .

Cheers!
Old 01-16-2002, 12:13 PM   #5
Rolper
Dungeon Master

arrrgh! I'm actually playing on a faster mach. with a bigger HD than the one that was stolen so I couldn't figure why HoW was a problem
I installed HoW and Luremaster ... could not go to the Vale.
Uninstalled HoW went to the Vale, returned ... crashed when trying to react with any merchant type.
When I cobbled this PC together I could not find the # to use for win98 (it came preloaded with the PC) so I had use my old win95 CD.
I wonder if win 98 with better memory management would solve the problem?
Old 01-16-2002, 12:30 PM   #6
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Rolper,

I'm not sure what the problem is, but I have a friend who has IWD/HOW/ToL all installed and he was constantly locking up going from Lonelywood to the Barbarian camp. So the lock ups are common apparently on some machines. NOW, for the bad news ... he uninstalled EVERYTHING, and TOTALLY rebuilt his system from the ground up (i.e. Windows installation etc.), reinstalled all of his drivers, reintalled IWD, then HOW, and then ToL ...it did NOT help! He still locks up when he tries to go the barbarian camp from lonelywood. He has 256 Megs of ram so THAT is not the issue (although your 32 megs is AWFULLY light!)

I have all three installed on my machine, and it runs FINE in Win98 SE! No lockups, no problems at all and i have made every transition all the way thru the game.

All I can suggest is to uninstall everything, defrag your hard drive, and reinstall IWD / HOW and then ToL. Don't do ANY of the patches! Installing IWD then HOW and then TOL will take to the latest version and no further patches are needed.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2002, 01:33 PM   #7
Micah Foehammer

Just a thought .. make sure you are running under DirectX 7 or better.

And Durwyn is right, if you aren't going to install ToL then at least make sure you have v1.41 patch for HOW installed (ToL is v 1.42)

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Old 01-16-2002, 02:53 PM   #8
Durwyn
Elminster

Well wait actually, I think we may be coming out with a parrarel points here.

I also have lock ups and boot outs when I load any of my old IWD saveed games. When I was in progress of passing IWD, I saved games (of course heeh ) and I did not have HoW ot ToL installed (of course lol) so now that I have those two installed whenever I try to load up a game that was saved back then when I just had IWD only, it wont load, it will lock up or crash my game.

So if thats your case, then that is also a major possibility, you might need to restart your campaign.
Old 01-16-2002, 04:47 PM   #9
Rolper
Dungeon Master

Actually didn't have old saved games, they were on the PC that was stolen...
I just added 64mb of memory which brings the system to 96mb.. no change... rats!
Old 01-16-2002, 05:00 PM   #10
Micah Foehammer

What exactly have you installed on your machine in the way of IWD, related expansions, and patches? And if you can remember, in what order did you install each component?