Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2003, 02:33 PM   #1
True_Moose
Gold Dragon

If any of you have been following my posts in the BG1 forum, you'll know that I'm currently working on soloing a fighter/thief through the series. Anyway, I am approaching the end of BG1, and am planning the character conversion. I'm going to end up dual-wielding the Dagger of the Star and Blackrazor for backstabbing, as well as keeping the Flail of the Ages for sheer murder value. However, I'm having trouble choosing my armour. I want two sets, one for backstabbing and stealth, another for times when such tactics are impossible or impractical.
Warning, equipment spoilers below
~
~
~
~
~
~
My choices for stealth armour are:
-Asleyferund Elven Chain: AC 0 and protection from normal and +1 weapons. I like this choice, but come ToB, how useful will that protection be compared to other effects I could have.
-White dragon scale: AC -2, 3x Cone of Cold/day, 50% res to cold. Honestly, the resistance is not that important to me, not very common attack. The AC is very nice, as is the cone of cold effect.
-Grandmaster's Armor: AC 1 and speed. Interesting, because I could use different boots than boots of speed.
-Armor of Thorns: AC 1 and 1d4 to anyone who hits me. Intriguing, but I don't know if the 1d4 really is worth it. Not to mention who has it right now. [img]graemlins/uhoh1.gif[/img]

My choices for non-stealth armour are:
-Enkidu's Full Plate: AC -2, immunity to backstab, +5% MR. The MR is nice, but not much, the backstab immunity is fluff. I like the AC though, it's nice.
-Shuruppak's Plate: AC -2, dex +1, FR +20%. Loveable, except that by this point I'll have 21 dex, so unsure as to how much it'll help.
-White dragon scale: see above
-Blue dragon scale: AC -1, 90% ER. Whoa, that's a huge amount of ER. Unsure how much it'll help/how common electrical attacks are.

Well, thanks in advance for any/all input. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-29-2003, 02:39 PM   #2
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

Question: do you have the Item Upgrade Mod?
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 02:55 PM   #3
True_Moose
Gold Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Xen:
Question: do you have the Item Upgrade Mod?
Yeah, I'll probably play with Item Upgrade, Tactics, and some parts of Ease-Of-Use.
Old 06-29-2003, 03:03 PM   #4
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

Then I would suggest:
Improved Valygar`s Armor
Celestial Fury+5
Sanchuudoku+4
Blizzard Boots
Fulcrum+4
Improved Human Flesh(you need ToB for certain item)
Carsomyr-even if you are not proficient in 2HS you can use it to have 50%MR [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-29-2003, 03:06 PM   #5
True_Moose
Gold Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Xen:
Then I would suggest:
Improved Valygar`s Armor
Celestial Fury+5
Sanchuudoku+4
Blizzard Boots
Fulcrum+4
Improved Human Flesh(you need ToB for certain item)
Carsomyr-even if you are not proficient in 2HS you can use it to have 50%MR [img]smile.gif[/img]
Doesn't getting the improved human flesh involve getting the original human flesh armour...and doesn't that involve an extremely difficult and annoying fight with not too much else of a reward? Just wondering...
Old 06-29-2003, 03:08 PM   #6
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

Yes,but you will get +1 to CON and DEX. But with Tomes and everything...
Old 06-29-2003, 03:17 PM   #7
Alson
Galvatron

Optionally, you can go down the physical resistance path and get JansenWear. 25% resistance all-around is lovely, keeping Easthaven in your off-hand won't mess up your backstabs and you should pick a couple of Hardinesses anyway. In addition, the armor is stylish.

Note: Dryclean only.
In memory of Ilan Ramon - the first Israeli astronaut.<br /><br /><br />[url]\"http://members.chello.nl/~j.vanthull/BG2SR/Home.htm\" target=\"_blank\">BGII Spells Reference</a> - everything you ever wanted to know about spells!
Alson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 03:21 PM   #8
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

Oh,yes. Forgot this. I once washed the armor and it has desintegrated.

Note:Dryclean only. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-29-2003, 04:21 PM   #9
Dace De'Briago
Silver Dragon

With the item upgrade mod, you'll also have access to Quietus +4, so your backstab will be +6 (or +8 if you intend to me an assassin).

Aslyferund Elven Chain AC0 OL –5, FT –5, PP –20, MS -10
Incardine Elven Chain AC0 OL –5, FT –5, PP –20, MS -10 +25% Fire Resistance
Improved Human Flesh AC0 OL +5, FT +5. PP +5, MS +25, HS +5, FT +5. +1 DEX, +1 CON, Immune to poison, Protection from Good

Those are probably the best 3 suits of armour in the game with regards to your needs.

For the weapons, I'm temped to say Dagger of the Star +5/Quietus +4 on/off hand. Become an assassin in ToB, then dual to a fighter at L25 and choose use any item as your proficiency. You will be able to advance to 26 as a fighter. This will give you:

* 8x backstab multiple
* Use of any items
* Fighters THACO [EDIT] + ATTACKS{/EDIT]
* [EDIT] Grand mastery in 2 weapons + 2 stars in 2 weapon/2 handed weapon style (if you want to go the staff backstab route)[/EDIT]
* Eventually, the fighters bonus HP per level (making up partially for only using d6HP)
* Ability to summon a familiar for bonus HP
* Possible to attain grand mastery in DAGGERS... excellent for role playing purposes with this character
* Able to attain a strength of 24 for this characters backstabbing (19 imported from BG1, MoLTM 20, Evil in Hell 22, two clerical rings 'borrowed' from party members)
* Able to attain a dex of 22 for general sneaking purposes (19 imported from BG1, MoLTM 20, DoMT 21, Improved Human Flesh 22)

And so on and so forth. I'm actually considering making this character for myself next, could be very entertaining with invisibility/mislead backstab galore

[ 06-29-2003, 08:33 PM: Message edited by: Dace De'Briago ]
Old 06-29-2003, 04:24 PM   #10
Dace De'Briago
Silver Dragon

Actually, I am currently doing the very dual class you suggest. The character is now a 24/28 fighter/thief and is (unsuprisingly) very powerful.

I'm a bit of a powergamer so I make notes about what proficiencies to get, what weapons and armour to use, where to spend thieving points, what level to dual at etc etc. If you want my notes for this character, just message me and I'll send them onto you.

Actually, if you *want* the characters save game, I'd probably mail that to you. Save you going through SoA yourself The party can enter the elven city whenever you like to take on Irenicus.

lol