Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2003, 05:17 AM   #21
Epona
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Gangrell:
Quote:
Originally posted by Epona:
I don't have a cat (not really feasible with 3 pet birds) but my scooter has been adopted by a neighbours ginger cat - he sleeps curled up on it. Very cute. [img]smile.gif[/img]
I have a pet bird myself Epona, what kind do you have?

I'm fond of cats, I really am, the problem is it's the rest of my family that isn't (mom and dad mostly).

*Still waits for Ziroc to post* [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]
[/QUOTE]Gangrell, I have 2 budgies (Titus and Maximus) and a Senegal parrot (Jasper). Jasper talks quite well which is cool.
Old 03-30-2003, 05:41 AM   #22
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Gangrell, I have 2 budgies (Titus and Maximus) and a Senegal parrot (Jasper). Jasper talks quite well which is cool.
Hey, you got a talking bird too? That's cool [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] I have one myself, it's a Blue and Gold Macaw named Pokko. He's got a lengthy vocabulary, and when he starts talking, you can't get him to shut up [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]
Old 03-30-2003, 11:16 AM   #23
Indemaijinj
Symbol of Cyric

I would say that cat personalities seems to be as divergent as human personalities.

My family has nearly always had a cat. The first one I don't remember that much. She was a black with white socks thing that we only had briefly before it ran away never to return. We never really got close to it. It did manage to wreck our house several times though.

Next we had two beautiful specimens. The male being a normal grey/black mackerel striped cat while the female was a beautiful tri-color with grey/gold fur at the sides and red along the back. There were allegedly some persian blood in them so they had very soft white fur on their bellies.

The male was very fond of people while the female was a bit more reserved. The female was very fond of pop-corn. Sadly, both were lost to mental problems. The male suddenly undergone a drastic personality change becoming almost the opposite of what it were before. It had previously been fond of company and had no quarrel with his sister. Now, he bullied her away from the food tray guarding it jelaously though not actually eating it. He responded to almost everything with attacking. We had him euthanised at last seeing that it was pointless keeping him. The female was a good and loving (though a bit scared). When she became old she started to show signs of what must have been a kind of dementia. She lost the ability to remember things, reacting on once trusted people as total strangers and she forgot all her manners. Because she was generally frightened of the unexpected she lived in a state of constant mortal fear. Not to continue the torture we had her euthanized, but she was kinda old anyway. She was sorely missed.

After some time without a cat my little sister began to demand that we got a new cat. Almost as sent from above a stray with a kitten dumped by. She was a big healthy quite normal female. From her behaviour it was clear that she was domesticated once, probaby abandoned. Her kitten was less healthy. Lacking the clout to properly get by in the wilderness she probably had trouble keeping the little one well fed. The kitten was also completely feral shunning all human contact. It was also diseased having big infected wounds just under the skin. Too small and sickly to likely survive any operation attempts we had it euthanized. A short time after the kitten was gone the mother was pregnant again. We chose two of her couple to keep. A black male and a multicoloured female. Alas the mother would never become truly tame. She was accustomed to humans, but she was unable to learn anything. She constantly ruined things and shit on our carpets. We decided to keep her until the kittens were old enough to live without her. Then we "disposed" of her.

The female kitten was named Frida. Our mom wanted to call her Findus after a literary figure (scandinavians will know) with whom she had great physical and behavioural likeness, but time showed that she was a female (just as me and my sister had predicted from the start due to the (for us) obvious lack of testicles). She was lively, intelligent and a very outdoors cat who still managed to be very social. (It was extremely fun to play with her in the garden at night). She also quickly became and adept hunter. Sadly she was run over by a car shortly after reaching young adulthood. But that's the risk you have to pay for allowing you cats to run about freely.

Her brother who we still have with us this day was very different from his sister. He is considerably bulkier than his sister with a deep bull-like chest and has a coat of thick black velvet soft fur. His voice is very clear and melodic. Snus (or Sniffles in english) he was called because he used to whistle through his nose when he slept. He has also always been a bit clumsy for a cat. Often he would bang into things when he was running at high speeds because he was unable to turn away fast enough. He is still a good mouse hunter, but mouse catching seems to require patience and awareness more than actual dexterity.

His personality is also rather peculiar. He is probably one of the most peaceful creatures I have ever met. He would often run away from even small kittens just to avoid combat. Sometimes he is so timid that it makes people a bit afraid since he quietly accepts behaviour that would have sent other felines into a flying rage. Only once has he ever gotten mad. That was a the veterinarian whe he was getting a large infected wound cleaned without anaesthication. There he managed to let out a deafening roar that made several large dogs in the waiting room panic. Also he is the kind of cat who will jump into the lap of a perfect stranger and fall asleep. He has softened the heart of many cat loathers that way.

He was also involved in a car accident once. He made it out alive and well, though his hip was crushed. It has later mended itself due to the superior regenerative capabilities of felines. Still it meant that he in a long time was unable to use one of his hind legs. His big chest and front leg muscles is partly a result of him climbing trees with chiefly using his front paws.
Old 03-30-2003, 11:34 AM   #24
Dragonshadow
Quth-Maren

Pixie was my gran's cat before she died. She never put in her will to put her down, so we kept her.
She couldn't eat properly a little while ago, and yowled in pain when she treid. WE took her to the vets, expecting to have to have her put to sleep, or for her to die having almost all of her teeth taken out, but she made it through, and gets on well with only three canines and VERY sharp claws.... ow.
We were meant to take her for a check up, but she's been getting on fine, so we never bothered.

She is afraid of large open spaces, and we she lives right next to a quiet road, (a dead end) so the only real danger for her is the greyhpound that lives opposite, and has a bit of a reputaion (I've heard) of killing and maybe even eating cats. Oh, and my dad, but he loves her really, despite jokes about killing her, wringing her neck, and sucking her up the vaccum when she was a kitten (she's terrified of it), but I doubt she'll fit now: I bet she's the biggest cat in the street!

She used to toatally hate strangers, and yowled at me tonns when my gran was alive. When she went, that changed. She is now very freindly to almost everyone, and she isn't as bad tempered any more.

She is now at the grand old age of (we think) 18 in April, eg soon. We expected her to die a while ago.

Dragonshadow.

PS, been great hearing about all of your cats. Loved reading the stories.

aka Loc der Graf, Quillruke
Old 03-30-2003, 03:53 PM   #25
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Indemaijinj:
I would say that cat personalities seems to be as divergent as human personalities.
Yup I agree. That's why comments like 'I hate cats because they're {insert stereotypical cat characteristics}' irritate me. Usually come from people who've never had cats, or have had them but keep them outside so they don't get to interact and get to know them.

I have a 2 year old Russian Blue, Tuppence [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-30-2003, 05:54 PM   #26
Epona
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Gangrell:
Quote:
Gangrell, I have 2 budgies (Titus and Maximus) and a Senegal parrot (Jasper). Jasper talks quite well which is cool.
Hey, you got a talking bird too? That's cool [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] I have one myself, it's a Blue and Gold Macaw named Pokko. He's got a lengthy vocabulary, and when he starts talking, you can't get him to shut up [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img] [/QUOTE]Oh wow, B&Gs are lovely birds! Most of them are very calm compared to my little bundle of nerves. He won't sit still for a minute and is always freaking out at the slightest thing. Pokko is a great name!