Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2004, 04:12 PM   #1
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Must be a really violent game to get this rating.

TORONTO (CP) -- The Ontario government has slapped an R rating on a video game for the first time.

In Manhunt, which is already banned in Australia and New Zealand, the player takes on the role of James Earl Cash, a death-row inmate.

Instead of being executed, he is kidnapped and thrown into a freakish world of psychopathic gangs and kidnapped.

Although the game does have some puzzles, the main objective of Manhunt is to kill the enemies encountered by Cash.

The violence is so explicit that it prompted a ban in New Zealand, where it was called "injurious to the public good."

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2...368956-cp.html

[ 03-03-2004, 04:13 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
Old 03-03-2004, 04:29 PM   #2
Oblivion437
Baaz Draconian

I'm glad the New Zealander government knows that its citizens are too ignorant and incapable of understanding the violence. Praise be to the benevolent nanny which protects us from ourselves!
Old 03-04-2004, 05:35 AM   #3
H@CkER
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Everyone says manhunt is really violent but its not that bad, i havent been able to complete the game yet because i got bored with sneaking up behind people and waiting around for ages, but watching some of the death scenes its not that disturbing. Hacking someones head off with a machete sounds bad but in game it looks quite fake. First time playing gta3 and smashing someone with a baseball bat was more disturbing then manhunt.
Old 03-04-2004, 05:45 AM   #4
Cienden
Manshoon

Sounds interesting. By slapping an R rating on, you'd think it would just generate more interest in it among younger players.

I won't buy it, but not because it's gory. Just because I'm not interested in it. I'd rather have a savagely gory medival combat gave instead. Hmm...too bad I sold Blade of Darkness (Severence-UK) a few weeks back. Shucks.
Old 03-04-2004, 06:38 AM   #5
Darkman

I agree with Hacker's comments. If you've played games like Grand Theft Auto, then Manhunt is really nothing new. I found the game to be kind of dull. Once the novelty of each "execution weapon" wore off there wasn't much left. I'm sure the idea of playing a convicted serial killer on a rampage is what mostly gave the game its R rating. In actuality, the violence isn't that bad and the rampage is actually controlled and somewhat boring. Anyway, the game may have deserved the rating, but some of the reviews I've read have definately taken the violence way out of proportion. Fans of GTA may enjoy renting this game for a weekend but I'd stay away from buying it.
Old 03-05-2004, 06:26 AM   #6
H@CkER
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Manhunt was hyped up to be a really great game, so i bought it when it first came out but it turns out its really boring. I reckon its really short and there isnt much action.

A poor game
Old 03-05-2004, 06:11 PM   #7
Son of Osiris

Whoa, that's the first time I've ever heard of a video game being banned here in Canada.

Old 03-05-2004, 11:01 PM   #8
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

No matter what Rating they put people will still buy the game. At least that what I notice here.