Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2003, 03:53 PM   #1
Rokenn
Galvatron

Didn't want to hijack Azimaith's thread. But I was wondering in a similar vein if we have any sword fighters out there? Either SCA or fencers?

Personally I've been foil fencing since the mid-80's. Been thinking lately about getting back into as their is a fencing club in my town. I still have my jacket, foil, and helmet from college and they still fit! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-09-2003, 06:26 AM   #2
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

hmm. i wonder if they still have those samurai sword duel.. nahh. dont think so.. .. but it would be great if there was.. fencing is not very popular here anyhow.

Catch me if you can..
Old 07-09-2003, 10:41 AM   #3
Azimaith
Manshoon

Uh oh, now you've done it, you put fencing and swordsmanship in the same place!

Fencing is a sport, swordsmanship's a martial art hehe. They're very very different. As for the SCA, well they use less than accurate methods of swordfighting aka boffing. They're mostly people who enjoy hitting people with pipes covered in isulation foam for padding. If you live near Houston you should check out the ARMA, which is on the link of my sig, they give lessons in historical fencing. Well other than that I don't think there are any other swordsmen here for European styles I think.
The Democrats bash the Republicans and the Republicans bash the democrats, now everyones got mud in their eyes and they can\'t see what matters.<br />Check out this site: [url]\"http://www.thehaca.com/about.htm\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.thehaca.com/about.htm</a>
Old 07-09-2003, 10:42 AM   #4
Azimaith
Manshoon

Fencing is a sport, swordsmanship's a martial art hehe. They're very very different. As for the SCA, well they use less than accurate methods of swordfighting aka boffing. They're mostly people who enjoy hitting people with pipes covered in isulation foam for padding. If you live near Houston you should check out the ARMA, which is on the link of my sig, they give lessons in historical fencing. Well other than that I don't think there are any other swordsmen here for European styles I think.
The Democrats bash the Republicans and the Republicans bash the democrats, now everyones got mud in their eyes and they can\'t see what matters.<br />Check out this site: [url]\"http://www.thehaca.com/about.htm\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.thehaca.com/about.htm</a>
Old 07-10-2003, 06:32 AM   #5
Bristowe
Elminster

Harkoliar: Japanese Kendo and Iado?, I have a friend who does Kendo. Do these count as Japanese sword fighting? haha~
Old 07-10-2003, 06:34 AM   #6
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

Quote:
Originally posted by Bristowe:
Harkoliar: Japanese Kendo and Iado?, I have a friend who does Kendo. Do these count as Japanese sword fighting? haha~
Actually it is fighting with staffes
Old 07-10-2003, 06:49 AM   #7
Bristowe
Elminster

Quote:
Originally posted by Xen:
quote:
Originally posted by Bristowe:
Actually it is fighting with staffes [/QUOTE]Yes, i stand corrected... [img]smile.gif[/img] Kendo is indeed with sticks, that represents a sword i suppose...but iado is practiced with an actual sword i believe. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-10-2003, 06:58 AM   #8
shadowhound
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I would love to get into fencing [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-10-2003, 11:05 AM   #9
Elif Godson
Dracolich

I wouldnt say Kendo is fighting with staves(jo or Bo), we use a shinia(made from strips of bamboo or rattan) or in some cases a bokken(which is rather solid) Iado is the art form of drawing the sword and techinques Kendo you get to really put it into application. Kendo requires a complete suit of armor, otherwise you would be dead. A shinia can kill you just as easily as an actual sword can in the right hands.
Old 07-10-2003, 12:01 PM   #10
Rokenn
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by Azimaith:

Controversy always makes for a good thread [img]smile.gif[/img]

Yeah I know the SCA guys use basicly padded sticks. BUt I had read they try and get the wieghts and balances as close to accurate as possible. Besides whats wrong in enjoying hitting other consenting adults with large padded pipes?

My understanding of the sport of Fencing is that it was derived from Renaissance sword fighting techniques. Foil was used as the introduction weapon and the epee was derived from the more advanced rapier fighting.

[ 07-10-2003, 12:02 PM: Message edited by: Rokenn ]