Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2002, 03:34 PM   #21
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Attalus:
LOL, I was not referring to you, MagiK, but to our distinguished British friend, Sir Donut, K.C.B. However, if you and Willow want to get into leg-pulling, it's all right with me. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Well, I knew that but I wanted to weasel my way into pullin onna Willows leg

Old 12-02-2002, 05:12 PM   #22
WillowIX
Apophis

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
Well, I knew that but I wanted to weasel my way into pullin onna Willows leg
*sigh* How come you aalwaays have to spam a subject Attalus? [img]tongue.gif[/img] ROTFL! OK MagiK you can pull my leg, the left one at least. Men! LLAO! BTW Attalus, sent you a PM. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-02-2002, 05:50 PM   #23
MagiK

To be honest Willow, I think by the time Atty spammed, this thread was mostly a dead horse [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 12-02-2002, 05:51 PM: Message edited by: MagiK ]

Old 12-03-2002, 07:29 AM   #24
Barry the Sprout
White Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Donut:
For various reasons I’ve been giving some thought to the problem of cancer recently. I seem to hear about it more and more these days.

In particular I think we are going about fighting cancer in the wrong way. Billions of Pounds are spent on cancer research. I believe that this money is being wasted. Instead of looking for a cure we should fight cancer by surgery.

Cancer is insidious, it can lie dormant for years within you, and then all of a sudden it attacks you. Even when you think you’ve got rid of all of it will spread and reappear in a totally different and unexpected place. For every one cancerous cell you destroy two will be created.

Let’s forget about chemotherapy and radiotherapy, the only way to get rid of the cancer is to cut it out. Cut it out wherever we find it. And if you get metastases. Cut it out there too. And if normal cells are destroyed by the surgery that’s just tough. These things happen in the war on cancer.

Why do we need to know the root causes of cancer? I for one don’t give a shit about why it happens! I don’t want my tax money being spent on education about cancer prevention or on research into treatment. Cancer kills millions – that’s all I need to know. I just want to get rid of it because there is too much of it about for my liking.

I’m just a Black and White kind of guy. There is no grey, there is only one way – and it’s my way or the highway!
Very, very, good post Donut. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
[img]\"http://img1.ranchoweb.com/images/sproutman/certwist.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br /><i>\"And the angels all pallid and wan,<br />Uprising, unveiling, affirm,<br />That the play is the tragedy, man,<br />And its hero the Conquerer Worm.\"</i><br /> - Edgar Allan Poe
Old 12-03-2002, 08:06 AM   #25
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
To be honest Willow, I think by the time Atty spammed, this thread was mostly a dead horse [img]smile.gif[/img]
For those with closed minds it was probably never a live horse.

I wonder how people took my post. Some will have taken it at face value, that it was about cancer as a disease, others will have thought that it was complete nonsense and that I had lost my mind.

Obviously some people have recognised it for what it was really about. We can't defeat the cancer of terrorism by utilising only one of the weapons at our disposal.

Living and working in a city that will be near the top of the list for the next massive terrorist outrage is concentrating my mind. It's just a matter of time.
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 12-03-2002, 08:23 AM   #26
Barry the Sprout
White Dragon

Quote:
Living and working in a city that will be near the top of the list for the next massive terrorist outrage is concentrating my mind. It's just a matter of time.
I shouldn't worry, they aren't likely to bomb Enfield any time soon my friend... [img]tongue.gif[/img]

But seriously, I whole-heartedly agree. It seems completely bizzare that we think stopping one group of terrorists will make the others think twice about it. They are already willing to die for their cause... wha can you do to scare them?

And do people really think we can hunt down all the terrorists in the world? This is going to be one major witch hunt for absolutely no gain.

But hey! People already knew my views on this I suppose...
[img]\"http://img1.ranchoweb.com/images/sproutman/certwist.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br /><i>\"And the angels all pallid and wan,<br />Uprising, unveiling, affirm,<br />That the play is the tragedy, man,<br />And its hero the Conquerer Worm.\"</i><br /> - Edgar Allan Poe
Old 12-03-2002, 08:25 AM   #27
MagiK

Quote:
For those with closed minds it was probably never a live horse.

I wonder how people took my post. Some will have taken it at face value, that it was about cancer as a disease, others will have thought that it was complete nonsense and that I had lost my mind.

Obviously some people have recognised it for what it was really about. We can't defeat the cancer of terrorism by utilising only one of the weapons at our disposal.

I thought your origianl and subsequent posts were a fun and informative use of metaphor [img]smile.gif[/img] or similee or whatever. I recognized what you were getting at from the outset. I also realized that you had some good points, but we see things in a very different fundamental way. So we disagree on the course to take, but I think we both know that any answer is not going to be simple.

People living in London, Paris, NY and DC all have good reason to be concerned.

I am still trying to figure out why, banning all arab peoples from the western world untill they can curb their more radical factions is such a horrible idea.

[ 12-03-2002, 08:28 AM: Message edited by: MagiK ]

Old 12-03-2002, 08:55 AM   #28
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Quote:

I am still trying to figure out why, banning all arab peoples from the western world untill they can curb their more radical factions is such a horrible idea.
Isolation and segregation - are you suggesting we repeat apartheid and the Berlin Wall? You might argue from some perspectives they were successes, but on the whole, history doesn't seem to think so.
Old 12-03-2002, 09:04 AM   #29
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry the Sprout:
quote:
I shouldn't worry, they aren't likely to bomb Enfield any time soon my friend... [img]tongue.gif[/img]

But seriously, I whole-heartedly agree. It seems completely bizzare that we think stopping one group of terrorists will make the others think twice about it. They are already willing to die for their cause... wha can you do to scare them?

And do people really think we can hunt down all the terrorists in the world? This is going to be one major witch hunt for absolutely no gain.

But hey! People already knew my views on this I suppose...
[/QUOTE]But my family live in Islington and I work in Islington and use the tube sometimes. And I dare say poison gas can find it's way to Enfield.
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 12-03-2002, 09:12 AM   #30
Barry the Sprout
White Dragon

Quote:
But my family live in Islington and I work in Islington and use the tube sometimes. And I dare say poison gas can find it's way to Enfield.
Sorry, it was just my little joke. One in poor taste admittedly...