Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2001, 04:12 PM   #1
Sorcerer Alex

I often hear people my age talking about the latest cell phones, or the fastest cars, or the newest clothes fashions.... and I think 'Jesus, you're pathetic...'

I consider myself to be one of the last of a dying breed. I'm probably the most unmaterialistic person in the world. I care nothing for material things and it sickens me to hear people talk about such things non stop. I sometimes feel like I'm the only person in the world, the only one who thinks differently to people like this. I can't believe that they have so little in their lives, that their thoughts are dominated by cars and cell phones. It frustrates me so much, makes me think 'you're an intelligent human being, and this is all you have between your ears?'.

I sometimes wonder whether I am the only one who believes in spirituality. The first thing I try to establish with someone is a kind of inner bond, and if I can't establish any form of link, I know he/she isn't suited to me. This is worrying me a lot lately, as my girlfriend doesn't understand any of this, she thinks I'm talking Greek when I start about it. She's very two dimensional, materialistic and unimaginative. I honestly love her to death, I couldn't ever be without her, but I feel so distant from her where matters like this are concerned.

Does anyone ever feel the same sometimes?

Old 11-29-2001, 04:19 PM   #2
Melusine
Dracolisk

Ouch. That sounds like it could become an issue, if she really places material matters above emotional/spiritual ones all the time. Of course, if you love eachother you will find a way to talk about it, but I think it helps a lot if your partner thinks the same about such matters as you do. Suppose you were to move in together and she'd insist on having certain expensive furniture/equipment etc, it could become a problem.
Personally, I don't know if I can be called very spiritual, but I certainly know what you mean about people seeming so materialistic.
I don't think you are the last of a dying breed though - you may feel like that sometimes, but in the end I think there are many people who place spiritual/mental wellbeing above any kind of financial/material security. While I do place value in certain earthly goods, such as my books, or nice clothes (not necessarily expensive ones though, in fact, rarely expensive ones) my way of living is quite sober and simple, and I do not care anything for cars, gear, phones, etc. I find such an attitude a bit superficial, to say the least.
Is your girlfriend like that, or does she simply appreciate a little bit of luxury without losing sight of what's really important? That would be very different, I think.
Old 11-29-2001, 04:26 PM   #3
Neb
Account deleted by Request

Arledrian, I know what you mean, I'm not overly materialistic myself and I would NEVER, EVER put anything material before the well-being of another or something more non-materialistic, like friendships....

I really don't understand how some people can be so interested in material things sometimes.... Fashion for example, is one of the material concepts which I have never grasped or found the least interest in..... *sigh* Stranger breed of humans these material ones, I wonder if I shall ever understand them?
Old 11-29-2001, 04:27 PM   #4
Legolas
Jack Burton

Sometimes I do think I'm speaking a different language from most other people around me. Mostly, because they value 'materialistic objects' a lot more than I do. Not that I think I wouldn't like having a fast car, fashionable clothes or a better computer, but I don't think it's worth the trouble of getting (other than the PC), at least not to me. You won't find me in a store waiting to pick up the latest cellphone every two weeks. I am quite content with my current clothes, as they serve their purpose and keep me warm. With this computer I can log on to Ironworks, and not being able to play the latest games is a shame, but I still enjoy what I CAN run. As long as something works, I don't see a need nor feel a desire to replace it.

As for spiritualism, I am quite intrigued by the entire idea, but I'm sort of a seeing is believing person and I haven't 'seen' anything yet. As long as my current believes 'work', I'm quite content with them. But like I said, I don't think spiritualism is unlikely.

I know there are a lot of others, some of them even on this board, who DO believe in it wholeheartedly, and you can always talk to them about it if you're feeling lonely again

Say NO to the Trouser Tyranny!
Old 11-29-2001, 05:58 PM   #5
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

I'm not particularly materialistic either. No car, no cell phone, no TV, no stereo (I have an old ghetto blaster [img]smile.gif[/img] ) second hand computers (people seem to give them to me... great!) furniture all second hand, (you can still make things look great - no need to spend much money!) charity shop clothes, mainly.... What do I spend money on - well, organic food is expensive! I also do quite a lot of personal growth/development workshops, often dance based, and I love to travel, which also costs. I'd rather pay for real life experiences, than 'things'.

I think that people who spend loads on big name brands are mad! All the things are the same, just commodities produced in some third world factory for a dollar each production costs, just some have fancier packaging and are advertised cleverly and expensively, and thus end up costing twice, four times, even ten times as much as the non branded goods.

Trainer with a swoosh, or trainer without a swoosh? I'll go for the latter every time. Actually, I wouldn't wear branded clothes if you paid me. I've always thought that was weird - like you pay a fortune for something, just to advertise Tommy Hilfiger or Nike on your chest. Why? You're paying *them* to advertise *them*. Like I said, the whole thing is bonkers.

On the spiritual side - well. Anyone like to tell me their definition of spirituality? It's something that no-one seems to agree on.... And rightly so, in my opinion. Your connection with the divine (whatever you call it, god, the source, the universe, the all that is, the goddess etc etc) is uniquely personal to you, and everyone's perception and experience of it is different.
Old 11-29-2001, 06:04 PM   #6
Neb
Account deleted by Request

Once more the Cheetah spreads words of wisdom... I'd like to comment on this though:

"I'd rather pay for real life experiences, than 'things'."

Sometimes experiences can be found within things.... Like books.
Old 11-29-2001, 06:16 PM   #7
Tabitha Silverwill
Dungeon Master

Hmmmmmmmm. Well I like "things" (although not slavishly)and enjoy a comfortable level of spiritualism. It's like choosing between bread thickness and a good career. They are different concepts so cannot be compared fairly, surely?

Why should having a CD, PC, car, etc be mutally exclusive to having a open spiritual mind. I have both areas?

Not sure this post made any sense but I felt compelled to comment.

(Tab goes off mumbling and scratching head)
Old 11-29-2001, 06:25 PM   #8
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

quote:
Originally posted by Neb:
Once more the Cheetah spreads words of wisdom... I'd like to comment on this though:

"I'd rather pay for real life experiences, than 'things'."

Sometimes experiences can be found within things.... Like books.

Very true, Nebling! Actually, I do buy quite a lot of books new. I'm crazy for books, they're my favourite thing. Well, after nice food!

Second hand too of course - I really like very old books with hardback covers from the 19th century. They smell dusty, but I like to imagine who they belonged to, and what they wore and where they sat to read.. Ones with dedications in the front... I have a copy of the Yellow Fairy Book (victorian fairy tales) given as a present on April 27th, 1903. It is a beautiful book! Also some poems by Cowper - given 'With lucy's best love' at Christmas 1900. A friend gave it to me, with a similar insciption, for Christmas 2000. A lovely idea, don't you think??
Old 11-29-2001, 06:34 PM   #9
Drake
Baaz Draconian

cool other people with some same thoughts as me [img]smile.gif[/img] I'm near people who walk around in 3000 kr clothe. while me on the other hand walk around in the cheapes clothe that can still keep me worm. it realy bothers me when I think of all the good things that money could have been used on. like nuddle soup [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-29-2001, 08:56 PM   #10
Moni

quote:
Originally posted by Arledrian:
I often hear people my age talking about the latest cell phones, or the fastest cars, or the newest clothes fashions.... and I think 'Jesus, you're pathetic...'

I consider myself to be one of the last of a dying breed. I'm probably the most unmaterialistic person in the world. I care nothing for material things and it sickens me to hear people talk about such things non stop. I sometimes feel like I'm the only person in the world, the only one who thinks differently to people like this. I can't believe that they have so little in their lives, that their thoughts are dominated by cars and cell phones. It frustrates me so much, makes me think 'you're an intelligent human being, and this is all you have between your ears?'.

I sometimes wonder whether I am the only one who believes in spirituality. The first thing I try to establish with someone is a kind of inner bond, and if I can't establish any form of link, I know he/she isn't suited to me. This is worrying me a lot lately, as my girlfriend doesn't understand any of this, she thinks I'm talking Greek when I start about it. She's very two dimensional, materialistic and unimaginative. I honestly love her to death, I couldn't ever be without her, but I feel so distant from her where matters like this are concerned.

Does anyone ever feel the same sometimes?

You are of a new generation...good people...caring people who know the value of life.
My son is a lot like you...he doesn't even drive (at 20 years old) and carries no more than he can pack in a duffle bag. We have all kinds of his stuff from childhood and all his books packed away in storage, but I doubt if he'll ever want any of it (well, maybe the books [img]smile.gif[/img] )...life has a whole different meaning to him than material goods. That is a good thing and something you should be proud of. You are not alone. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Even I came to Texas with only my clothes, some jewelry, and a few sentimental items.
I was unexpectedly sent my household items (cookware and dishes, silverware, etc.) and then given a car and various tools since I got here, so I have all that stuff back again plus some. lol