Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2002, 01:35 AM   #1
Demonical Wyvern
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I suck at this game i have no control over my characters and cannot find scripts that have the npc cast spells so i suck bad i got thief/illusionist and the rest of the single player gang minsc drud lady and that mage/thief hoe. Anyways is there a way to change scripts around easly i don't want to get into modding this game heh.
Demonical Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 02:07 AM   #2
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Go to your character screen( press 'R' on your keyboard), select configure and select a suitable script.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 04:33 AM   #3
chevalier mal fet
Dungeon Master

Actually, I would suggest getting rid of the party AI all together, untill your more comfortable with gameflow. The icon in the bottom right of your screen toggles the party scripts on and off. This way, you will have total control over your partys actions. They wont do anything without your say so, but after you get used to stratgy and issuing commands, youll have a better feel for the way you would like them to act, and then can assign scripts accordingly. Personally, I havent used any scripts since the first day I got the game, because my characters always end up doing something I dont want them to do. The game is more "clicky" this way, but after a while, its second nature.

Chev
chevalier mal fet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 05:19 AM   #4
PeeWee
Manshoon

I'm like that too mostly. I micro-manage most of the fights. There are times when I just want every single character going offense since it's safe. Ya know, when ya got 10 kobolds to kill and you don't wanna waste managing time over it nor that fireball spell.

Even for big spots like the underdark now, I bring in the guys and just hit script to let em all melee. Mages do whatever they do. Cast, run, cast. Then it's back to turning off scripts and exploring the area with one guy first.

I give my pure fighter the wizard killer script to use sometimes. Semi-healers - I use pally script. For the mages, use the run from melee script. They will still buff up and cast offensively. That should cover most grounds until you do better micro-managing, which I leave for the harder, bigger fights - primarily any dragon type situation or when npcs can demobilize/ attack my guys mentally.

The standard scripts work well and used with pause/ microing, it should get easier. Just got to get use to it for a lil while.
Old 02-27-2002, 08:49 AM   #5
Demonical Wyvern
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Well i don't as much suck now i figured out y no one was casting heh. I had armor on my thief/mage and others were not lvled up enough to cast now they can and its alot better [img]smile.gif[/img] . Scripts still suck though they barly cast i guess i will try some other ones out and the one u mentioned there sounded good. What do you mean by "micro managing" the turn base? I couldn't play the turn based round by round i like turn base games but this one don't seem right to me and got annoying. Oh another noob question [img]smile.gif[/img] in the harder modes do you get more exp?

ps kinda script i am looking for is for the casters to sit back and just cast every thing they got [img]smile.gif[/img] offensive only though. i can prep them for battle [img]smile.gif[/img] .

[ 02-27-2002: Message edited by: Demonical Wyvern ]

[ 02-27-2002: Message edited by: Demonical Wyvern ]

Old 02-27-2002, 09:03 AM   #6
Noober
Elite Waterdeep Guard

erm.....

You do realise that you can select the character and then select the spell you want him/her to cast, then they will cast it.

You don't just wait around for the npc to cast it themselves. You would be there forever.

You can pause the game, then give each of the characters their relevent orders, and then let them go. Then pause again to give more orders/spells etc.

I think you can enable AutoPause at the end of every Turn to gain more effective turn based play.
Noober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 09:37 AM   #7
Barlik Longbeard
Manshoon

Yeah. The character scrips just allow you to concentrate on one character whilst the others are kicking rs. I dont like the scripts because they do a whole load of stuff when you dont want them to. Like charge into a room full of Ullithids. By himself. Just click on the NPC you wanna cast stuff, then click on the spell icon on the bottom of the screen.
Old 02-27-2002, 09:43 AM   #8
Foo
Dungeon Master

My recommendations:

-Turn off scripts completely so that you have total control of all melee/spells/run away etc.

-Turn on all of the AutoPause options, ESPECIALLY the ones for 'Enemy Sighted' and 'Enemy dead'. This will give you the most time possible to set your strategy while the game is paused. Eventually you'll get annoyed by all of the pausing, so you may want to turn off some of the AutoPause options, but not the ones I mentioned.

-Make liberal use of the 'SPACE' bar to pause the game yourself. Again, this will buy you enormous amounts of time to plan your strategy.

BGI, BGII, IWD etc are not at all like 'Real-time' strategy games. You can (and should!) have total control of the action by using the pause options.
Foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 01:55 PM   #9
Demonical Wyvern
Elite Waterdeep Guard

thing is i only care about my main and want to play in real time. I know how to control the characters and stuff.
Old 02-27-2002, 03:45 PM   #10
ULockit I Stealit
The Magister

I can't remember where but I had seen some sights with custom scripts made for specific users. Search around and you might find one you like. Maybe even modify it so that your guy does what you want.

The resources are out there somewhere. Just like the TRUTH. hehe