Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2001, 11:29 AM   #1
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

Ok, My Computer Has (Apparently) A Firewall, Its Friggin annoyin cos it wont let me do jack like playin multiplayer games on the net. Does anyone know how to disable it? Or a critical place on my pc where i can jam a 9inch nail and maybe destroy the microchip with the firewall on?

Thx In Advance, Beaumanoir
Old 07-21-2001, 11:32 AM   #2
KHaN
Drow Warrior

What kind of OS do you have? Usually you have to install a firewall for it to be there.

[This message has been edited by KHaN (edited 07-21-2001).]
Old 07-21-2001, 11:56 AM   #3
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

Dont Have A Clue, I didnt know i had one, but LOADS of ppl have told me i do!

I need it ded cos it wont let me do out
Old 07-21-2001, 12:12 PM   #4
KHaN
Drow Warrior

Provided you are running Windows, Hit Ctrl/Alt/Delete and end tasks for everything but explorer, systray, your ISP, rnaapp, and your game. That should guarantee that you are only running what is necessary to play online.

You can also go to your start menu and "Run" option and type in msconfig.
when the msconfig window comes up, hit the startup tab and uncheck only anything that is directly related to your firewall program to keep it from booting with your system, meaning that you will need to access it from your programs menu in order to run it after you re-boot.

Also, check windows homepage and see if you can find anything on a built in firewall because Windows (at least 98) doesn't install one.

If you are on an ISP proxy server, you will need to find out what the game that you are trying to play online's full IP address is so that you can put it into your firewall as an accepted IP address. If you can't access your firewall to do this than you need one to block the proxy server that has you bound to doing nothing AND find out the IP address you are trying to hook up with to mark it as an accepted site. Blocking the proxy that has you bound might take some time but can eventually be accomplished eventually allowing you alone access to the internet on your computer.

Check with Windows web page first to make sure you are running windows and not some other operating system.

Good Luck

[This message has been edited by KHaN (edited 07-21-2001).]
Old 07-21-2001, 12:22 PM   #5
KHaN
Drow Warrior

If you are sure you don't have a firewall, Go to http://www.neoworx.com and download a trial version of Neowatch and Hack Trace.
Install it and go to help and test your firewall. That will tell you if you are behind a proxy server and what their IP address is (the site will fail testing due to the proxy server).
Block that IP address and keep trying and report the attempted "attacks" about a dozen times. Sign off and unplug your phoneline for a minute. Get back online and you should be good to go...test your firewall again and you should see just your IP address alone...this is all provided you are running Windows and then you will need the IP address of the game you are wanting to play to make it accepted...it will be given to you as an attack warning when you try to hook up with the game so it will take another try after you have made it an accepted site.
Old 07-21-2001, 12:34 PM   #6
Quai
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hi,

can I assume that you have only machine running ?

If yes, there shouldn't be a firewall installed by default.
Start your computer up and press ctrl+alt+del to see the tasks which are currently running in your system. You should determine which is the firewall running (if there is one)by the name of the task. If you do not know the name of your firewall (e.g. SYGATE or ZoneAlarm or something) you can delete all the task of your system but SYSTRAY and EXPLORER then you should have vanquished any firewall in your system without knowing which it is
Old 07-21-2001, 12:36 PM   #7
Quai
Elite Waterdeep Guard

arrrgh took me too long to write it as I see , suddenly two replies with similiar suggestions *giggles*
Old 07-21-2001, 01:30 PM   #8
Melusine
Dracolisk

Hello Quai, I noticed you're new here so I just thought I'd say

WELCOME TO THE IRONWORKS

of zal ik maar zeggen welkom!

Hope you'll enjoy this forum, if you want to tell us a bit more about yourself you could post in the big thread for newbies that's always floating around on page one

Sorry for going OT for a moment Beaumanoir

------------------
Melusine, High Queen of Fluffies, Archbabe of the OHF, the LH,
the HADB and the SPAE(Society for the
Prevention of Acronym Extinction) &
Official Entertainer Elf of the BG2 Bar

Your voice is ambrosia
Amy Brown Fantasy Art
Old 07-21-2001, 08:27 PM   #9
Hesperex

How could u not know u had a firewall? ...very odd anyway in answer to your question look in the system tray, if you do have a firewall running there will likely be an icon in there showing it, if not then check what programs are installed on you puter, it should be fairly evident if one is a firewall. Just out of interest, do other people apart from yourself install stuff on your puter, because I fail to see how you can not know you have a firewall when u must of installed it in the first place.

------------------

My website http://hesperex.8k.com
Hesperex Freth: 1st son of Matron Mother Shi'nayne Freth, 1st house of Ched'Nesad. Weapon master and patron of house Freth.