Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2004, 02:19 PM   #1
gLadiatorWCR
Elite Waterdeep Guard

****SPOILER**************

Ok, I'm at the end of chapter 7. Fighting Irenicus in hell. I simply can't kill him (I realized this @ about the 20th reload). My party is me (sorceror), Minsc, Jaheira, Valygar, Imoen and Aerie. I've got all my prebuffs cast beforehand, and 5 summons up. As soon as the battle starts, I spell trigger (3 lower resistances) a balor, magic missle him with all my casters, and he dies pretty fast. I can typically kill all the balors/other things (forget the name), but I'll be very weak, and I'll often lose aerie or imoen or someone. And Slayer (Irenicus) just massacres me. Any advice? Thanks .
gLadiatorWCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 02:36 PM   #2
Dirty Meg
Baaz Draconian

I find the best thing to do is run away so the demons follow you and Irenicus stays put. Kill all the demons, heal and buff your party, then you can fight Irenicus without being attacked by the demons.
Old 10-15-2004, 03:16 PM   #3
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

Welcome to Ironworks Gladiator!

You could try becoming the slayer yourself, although given you're a sorceror I don't know how that will turn out.

A couple of Greater Malisons followed by slow might help you survive a bit longer if you still have any spellcasters left. After your casters have done their bit, how about invisibility to preserve them until the end?

If you've made it this far, he's definitely beatable so don't give up hope! I seem to remember once you start doing major damage to him, he will teleport in a southerly direction, which will give you time to buff before your second confrontation. Don't be afraid to use any and all potions and items - there's not much point in hoarding them now! eg. that potion of invulnerability that's lying in your backpack

[ 10-15-2004, 03:20 PM: Message edited by: shamrock_uk ]
shamrock_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 03:31 PM   #4
gLadiatorWCR
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Dirty Meg:
I find the best thing to do is run away so the demons follow you and Irenicus stays put. Kill all the demons, heal and buff your party, then you can fight Irenicus without being attacked by the demons.
I tried that, and Irenicus just teleported over .

shamrock- I don't have greater malison, and I couldn't find it in the manual. Is it a TOB spell? I've been using my potions like mad, if only there was like an extra-greater potion that healed for like 50 instead of 27(I think that's what it is, at least)
Old 10-15-2004, 03:48 PM   #5
Ivelliis
Gold Dragon

(sorceror), Minsc, Jaheira, Valygar, Imoen and Aerie

First of all you should have:
Minsc, Jaheria, Valygar all using melee.
Imoen, Aerie and your PC with missiles.

Memorize "Boly of Glory" (Cleric Level 6) to take care of the demons. First of all I focused everyone attacking the demons one by one, then everyone focusing on Irenicus. Buff as much as you can, but remember to keep some slots for offensive spells.
If you use this tactic and keep your spellcasters (except Jaheira) away from the melee combat and make sure no demons attack them you should all survive.
Use Minsc's Beserk ability if need be, it can be quite powerful.
Also Heal is a good spell, if one of your melee fighters is taking serious damage make them retreat and start Aerie casting Heal on them, then when they have full health again get back in and fight some more. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-16-2004, 01:17 AM   #6
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

What sort of summons are you using? Skeleton Warriors, Mountain Bears, Fire Elementals, Aerial Servants and Mordenkainen Swords are some of the better ones for this fight. Casting Haste will help too.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 12:09 PM   #7
slimjimosu
Dungeon Master

If you don't have Greater Malison, you could try having Aerie or Jaheira (i think druids get it)cast doom, a 1st level spell. It's not as powerful as GM but several of them should work about the same.
slimjimosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 01:04 PM   #8
bjorn
Zhentarim Guard

Neither GM nor Doom stack IIRC

EDIT: They do stack with eachother but if you cast doom on the same target more than once , they penalty to their saving throws etc. will still be -2.

[ 10-16-2004, 01:06 PM: Message edited by: bjorn ]
Old 10-16-2004, 08:21 PM   #9
Pirengle
Symbol of Cyric

(This is assuming you haven't installed any mods.)

There are two parts to this fight. In the beginning, after everyone says their spiel and the fight begins, there are five demons and the Slayer-morphed Irenicus. About halfway through this fight, Irenicus will cast Project Image and quickly disappear. He should be somewhere on the other side of the map.

For this first part, your priority should be Time Stop over a Spell Trigger. Once you've stopped time, cast Lower Resistance then Abi-Dalzim's Horrid Wilting. Save your big stuff for the Slayer. Once normal time resumes, assign each character to a demon. Leave Aerie free to run around and cast healing and protection spells. Try to get the demons interested in attacking Minsc, Jaheira, and Valygar while the PC, Imoen, and Aerie stand off to the side. Other than that, they're just demons. Take 'em down with Bolts of Glory, Holy Smites, Chain Lightning, sprinkle some defense-lowering spells in there as well, and maybe a Mordenkainen's Sword to help out your fighters. Don't forget to use Dispel Magic on that projected image once the demons are down. Don't worry about the image during the fight either--as long as you don't go searching for the REAL Irenicus, you're in no danger.

Once you've taken out the demons, SAVE YOUR GAME. Pick a new save slot though. You're about to take on the second half of this fight--the real Irenicus. Once everyone is healed up and ready to go, select a party member with low saving throws or rearrange the party's gear so someone's saving throws are all negative numbers. Buff this character out to the max. This character's name is now Bait. Send Bait to go find Irenicus and stick as close to him as humanly (elvenly?) possible. It's Bait's job to be the target for Irenicus' spells. Feel free to summon Bait some friends--skeleton warriors and fire elementals are good choices here. While Bait's entertaining Joneleth, get everyone else in your party to lift Irenicus' spell protections and whack him with heavy-damage spells. Use your remaining fighters to flank Irenicus from behind. Again, keep Aerie around for healing purposes.

Before the fight, it might be easier for one mage to memorize mostly defensive spells and the other mage to memorize mostly offensive spells.

Hope this helps.

[ 10-16-2004, 08:23 PM: Message edited by: Pirengle ]
Old 10-17-2004, 09:40 AM   #10
gLadiatorWCR
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks for your help :- ) I beat him. Was pretty hard, but I managed :-D