Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2002, 02:56 PM   #41
Horatio
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

It's been sed, I know, but this is a VERY interesting thread. It'll probably grow, unless this post kills it and I am made to look like a total pr*ck.

Quote:
Originally posted by Attalus:
No one knows how many Russians died in WWII, literally. Even the Russians. I have seen estimates as high as 20 million, Do you know how many Americans were killed in all of WWII? less than 300,000, all fronts.
Your treading on dangerous ground there, friend. Be aware that these figures may lead to an angry european to complain that the US didn't come into the war until the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbour. Just making you aware, not actually posting this opinion.

[ 05-02-2002, 02:58 PM: Message edited by: Horatio ]
Old 05-02-2002, 02:56 PM   #42
Azred
Drow Priestess

Quote:
Cerek and Azred, Ladislas Farrago's The Game of the Foxes and Anthony Cave Brown's Bodyguard of Lies hasve excellent accounts of the plot to kill Hitler. He reacted savagely to it, purging his generals including Rommel. Anyone who thinks that Hitler was a figurehead simply is living in a dream world. William Schirer's The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich details his obsessive hoarding of power.
Thanks for the heads-up on the reading material. Now that I have finished my Knights Templar and Dead Sea Scroll books I am at a lull for new material. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

You could not be more correct. Hitler was the active head of the entire organization and in charge of just about everything.

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Old 05-02-2002, 03:00 PM   #43
Horatio
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Oh, and is it just me, or is everyone looking at people's locations while posting on this thread?
Old 05-02-2002, 03:03 PM   #44
Spelca
Emerald Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Horatio:
Oh, and is it just me, or is everyone looking at people's locations while posting on this thread?
It's just you. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-02-2002, 04:47 PM   #45
khazadman
User suspended until [Feb13]

but when you mention waffen ss attrocities you have to remember that they had a large number of foreign divisions.there were whole divisions made of volunteers from france,belgium,the netherlands,denmark,and norway.add to that the ss units made of volunteers from occupied countries to the east.john shalikashvili,one time chairman of the joint chiefs,was the son of one ss trooper from georgia.so there was more than enough blame to go around as far as attrocities are concerned.most of the war crimes commited were done by the various police units that came after the army moved through an area.
Old 05-02-2002, 06:47 PM   #46
Lady Blue03
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Quote:
Again, let me emphasise that we were at war. The Germans thought nothing about bombing population centers, witness London, Coventry, and Warsaw. Also, you should know that at that stage of the war, a lot of German industry, especially the non-rocket aircraft and armor production, was not in the much ballyhooed underground caverns, but pieced out into the general population to prevent us targeting them. The synthetic oil industry, likewise.
Lady Blue, I know that you are young, dear, but please do not post complete nonsense. The Russians were at war with the Germans long before we were. They did most of the killing and the dying, and we sensibly kept them in the war. No one knows how many Russians died in WWII, literally. Even the Russians. I have seen estimates as high as 20 million, Do you know how many Americans were killed in all of WWII? less than 300,000, all fronts. There was never any talk of bombing the Russians until after the war, though we certainly bore them no love. It was Patton, a good field general but a loudmouthed braggart, who propose recruiting the German prisoners of war and going "on to Moscow!" He was quickly repudiated by Truman, who was president at the time.
Wait..which of my posts are u refering to? As far as i know all of what i posted is true...i know Russia had problems with germany b4 anyone else did...when did i say they didnt? You need to use quotes [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-02-2002, 07:38 PM   #47
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

The Germans were just following orders but they were being driven by a mad man, it was their own fault that they decided to hail him as being such a powerfull entity...

The russians and the japanese made NO deals, infact the three nations, though they did converse sometimes, never really made any TREATIES of any kind! Eventually Japan, Russia, and Germany, in a big war for terriroty would have eventually destroyed eachother had noone interviened... the US had other personal reasons for attacking, such as the possiblity of Mexico joining the axis... As for the Japanese in world war two... what they did was wrong... but it was only due to misinterpretation of the code of bushido... the military leaders belived that it was centered around making their people the best in the world, hence Tojo made his own interpretations of it... not too much unlike how Usama Bin Laden interpreted the Queran in his own way, Tojo did with making the code of Bushido something Militaristic, as oposed to its code of Honor gained through HELPING to PRESERVE life... life in general, pacifism... but not just their own people's life...

it took a great man, General MacArthur to Fix that... Though the way the US treated the Nesei-jin was highly unorthodox and many Americans still seem to have a probelm with Japanese Culture... what I think is terrible is how Chineese Culture, by many, is mistaken by westerners, it's pretty bad when you think about it... NOW that is the other side of MacArther, had he been given the power to use the A-bomb, there probably wouldn't have been a cold war and China would have been wiped off of the face of the Earth, but thanks to the WORST president in the history of the world, who was in pwoer at the time, TRUMAN *cringe* history was written as it is now... unstable... akward... and with a history many of us would like to forget... >_<

In my conclusion, there were only 2 great men in that era:

MacArthur and Churchill...

The two worst were probably Hitler and Truman... with Hideki Tojo running a close 3rd...

And Yes I am American... I just really have a problem with Communism existing in the world today.... In CUBA its ok because urr... its not like they can really do anything lol... though that was very differint when Russia was under Soviet controll @_@...

WWII... in general... was a WEIRD war that had alot of pointless battles, though I think Korea and Vienam were probably even MORE pointless, and that was mainly due to a lack of mushroom clouds rising above mainland Asia -_-...

[ 05-02-2002, 07:42 PM: Message edited by: /)eathKiller ]