Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2003, 02:14 AM   #1
The Hunter of Jahanna
Emerald Dragon

Quote:
He takes fatal OD
as Internet pals watch

Chatroom vultures egged him to pop more Rx pills
By HELEN KENNEDY
DAILY NEWS WASHINGTON BUREAU

Brandon Vedas

"I told u I was hardcore."

Those were the last coherent words Brandon Vedas, 21, typed into the computer in his Phoenix bedroom as he showed off for Internet pals watching on a Web cam by swallowing more and more prescription drugs.

Vedas died online as a crowd of virtual onlookers egged him to "eat more!" A chilling record of the Jan. 12 chat reads like an Internet version of the notorious 1964 Kew Gardens, Queens, stabbing of Kitty Genovese as her neighbors watched from their windows.

In Vedas' case, some did try to help — begging him to stop, to call 911, to get his mother from the next room. After he passed out, some tried frantically to figure out his location while others argued against getting involved.

But the technology that brought as many as a dozen chatters into the intimacy of Vedas' bedroom was unable to tell them where he was. Internet Relay Chat is anonymous, and no one in the drug users' chat group knew the last name of the young man who called himself Ripper.

Vedas was a casualty of a new epidemic: a surge in the recreational use of pharmaceuticals, even as the rate of illegal drug use holds steady or declines. The most recent survey by the federal Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration says 11.1 million people used prescription drugs for fun in 2000, nearly half of whom were under 25.

In New York City, the number of people showing up in emergency rooms after taking too many legal narcotics jumped 47.6% from 2000 to 2001, the most recent year for which numbers are available.

"In 2001, for the first time, we had more emergency room mentions of prescription narcotic analgesics nationally than for heroin," said Dr. Westley Clark, director of the administration's Center for Substance Abuse Treatment.

In Internet discussion groups, users trade tips on how to fake symptoms to con a doctor into prescribing pain relievers, tranquilizers, stimulants and sedatives.

By his own account, bragging in the hour before he died, Vedas ingested large doses of Klonopin, Methadone, Restoril and Inderal, along with marijuana and 151-proof rum. All but the pot and the rum apparently were legally prescribed for him by a doctor and a psychiatric nurse, according to his angry and mystified family.

"It's the ideal situation — it's legal and it's free," said Vedas' brother Rich. "And most people assume that if a doctor is giving you something, it must be fine."

Vedas, who worked in computer support at the University of Phoenix, knew a lot about the dangers of mixing drugs. But he also bragged delusionally about his "high tolerance." His mother knew he had been prescribed pills for depression — but no one in the family knew he was mixing his medicine for fun, his brother said.

On the night of Jan. 12, Vedas urged chat pals to log onto his Web site and watch him go through his stash. "Bottoms up, fellas!" he crowed.

"Don't OD on us, Ripper," said one of the onlookers watching Vedas swallow pill after pill.

"That's not much," said a teenager from rural Oklahoma who calls himself Smoke2K. "Eat more. I wanna see if you survive or if you just black out."

In the macho atmosphere of the druggie chat room, Vedas seemed to have something to prove. "This is usual weekend behavior. U all said I was lying," he said.

He said it was safe and noted, "My mom is in the next room doing crozzwordz."

As he took more and more, Vedas' typing became disjointed. His chat pals cheered him on.

"Ripper — you should try to pass out in front of the cam," suggested one gleeful voyeur.

Vedas even tried to protect himself against disaster.

"In fase anything goe wrong," he said, typing his cell phone number. "Call if I look dead."

Soon, he did.

Soon, he was.

"I am online with 911. Is this the right choice?" asked one chatter. "NO NO NO NO NO," said another. "I talked my way out of it," came the reply. "I didn't give them any info."

In the end, there was nothing they could do.

Vedas' cell phone was off or not loud enough to rouse anyone else in the house. They looked up his Web site registry, but he had listed his home number as 555-1234.

And the online chatters didn't know his real name or location.

His mother found him at 1 p.m. the next day sprawled on his bed. The tech whiz's computer had shut down and locked itself automatically, so it wasn't until more than a week later that the family found out his death had had witnesses.

"It seems like the group mentality really contributed to it," said his brother, calling the transcript "disgusting."

"These people treat it like somehow it's not the real world," he said. "They forget it's not just words on a screen."

Originally published on February 1, 2003
Old 02-04-2003, 04:07 AM   #2
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

At the risk of sounding callous, I'd say that THIS is a top contender for this year's Darwin awards.
What a pathetic idiot...
Old 02-04-2003, 04:52 AM   #3
LordKathen
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

This reminds me of the trend of kids dieing by hanging while masterbating.
Rediculous.
Old 02-04-2003, 05:12 AM   #4
Dagorion
Red Wizard of Thay

This makes me think that if you're dumb and weak minded enough to do that, you deserve to die... although if you're dumb enough to say "pass out in front of the camera so we can see you" then I want to know who this person is and where they live so I can go and CHOKE HIM! Grrrrrrrr.
And here I was beginning to think that people in the world were getting smarter, thank god there will always be Americans. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 02-04-2003, 05:13 AM   #5
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

this kind of things is not suprising, just the other day before CNY, there was this woman sitting on the ledge of a building apparently wanting to jump down. everybody on the ground shouted for her to jump down, some even went betting to see if she jump or not. * sigh *
Old 02-04-2003, 07:39 AM   #6
Callum Kerr
Drizzt Do'Urden

It's pathetic... I'm sorry, but I think that he deserves to die... although i'm sorry for the parent's tho... Dumb asshole...
[img]\"http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RwARAyMWqyivmPQQNWY0hVVRv3oUvlvq5uMcEd3!RZut55dm8 emNqpdvpE7IkB0Cpa1ykaC4MbaPQTDKfXyfz!1y5xDqyJez01d EkyCZjmc/Callum.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />Puff the magic dragon!
Old 02-04-2003, 08:16 AM   #7
Lanesra
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by LordKathen:
This reminds me of the trend of kids dieing by hanging while masterbating.
Rediculous.
Why?, one's suicide, the other's for sexual gratification, you're not supposed to die.
Old 02-04-2003, 08:22 AM   #8
LordKathen
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Yes, their not supposed to die. They orgasm right at the point of exfisiation (sp?). Suposed to be a rush. A kid in Eureka,CA did it and didnt quite make it to the point where, I guess, your supposed to lift yourself up or some such crap. I was friends with some guys who knew the kid in highschool. They showed me the newspaper report on his death. Pretty cazy.
Old 02-04-2003, 08:27 AM   #9
Melusine
Dracolisk

My, aren't we all quick to condemn the kid? Sheesh. Do you have any idea what kind of mental anguish and agony leads a person to contemplate suicide? Teenagers are usually more vulnerable to those feelings than others, thankfully they're not normally strong enough to lead to actual death, but sometimes they are. Does any of you actually KNOW anything about what that kid felt? Yeah so he was an attention seeker, does that mean he deserves to die? The article said he was prescribed anti-depressants earlier. He might have suffered serious depression. Now, a lot of teens sometimes get those feelings, and usually their "suicide attempts" are just cries for help/attention. Don't you think it's at all possible that when this kid went online, he was looking for just that? Help, attention, some sympathy. In that state of mind, already feeling useless, unloved and better off dead, what the hell do you think happens if people encourage you to kill yourself, laugh at you, ridicule you, don't take you seriously? Of course, you think "See? I KNEW all along. I'm better off dead". And there he goes...
He was stupid, an attention seeker, probably not too clever, and a bit of a drama queen. But he was probably also a troubled, depressed teen with no clue what to do about it. He did not deserve to die like that. It's the people who egged him on that are despicable and stupid. And it's the few who tried to help him that we should be thankful for. A suicide threat should ALWAYS be taken seriously. Which do you prefer? Treating someone who threatens suicide like a pathetic attention seeker with the risk of that person killing him/herself? Or taking the threat seriously with the risk of having put your time and effort into a drama queen? I know which one I will always choose. Granted, on rare occasions we can make an educated guess at how sincere the threat is, but this case shows that not taking it seriously can actually MAKE it serious, can be the final straw.

Sorry for being vehement about this, but I don't think you have a right to judge people quite so quickly.

[ 02-04-2003, 08:36 AM: Message edited by: Melusine ]
Old 02-04-2003, 08:39 AM   #10
Masklinn

Quote:
What a pathetic idiot...
Quote:
Rediculous.
Quote:
if you're dumb and weak minded enough to do that, you deserve to die
Quote:
I'm sorry, but I think that he deserves to die
Well I was about to say something very nasty to you all, but Melusine did it nicely.

You should be ashamed to say that someone deserved to die without knowing anything about his life, about the reasons that made him take drugs and so...

This guy and all the ones that watched are somehow deconnected from reality, they need help, not insults.

I see only one good point in this very sad and awful story : maybe it made some of them change their mind about drugs.