Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2001, 07:42 AM   #51
Link
Jack Burton

Thanks for the comfort Melusine.. Feel much better now...

------------------
I am committed to restore your faith in extreme violence...

Link
Overlord Executioner, Slayer of Fluffed Beings
Member of Clan HADB
Supreme Warrior of Myst
Official Entertainer in Cloudy's Cafe
Old 10-04-2001, 07:49 AM   #52
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Link:
Thanks for the comfort Melusine.. Feel much better now...

LOL, you asked for it! Now what kind of lame self criticism is that if you can't bear anybody agreeing with it?

loop je maar te pesten hoor

------------------
Melusine, Sultry Elflet,
High Queen of Fluffies,
Archbabe of the OHF,
LH, HADB and ORT!

Your voice is ambrosia
Amy Brown Fantasy Art
Old 10-04-2001, 07:55 AM   #53
Link
Jack Burton

*runs away, crying loudly* Memnoch!! Melusine's teasing me!!

Weet ik wel! Maar ik stel me graag aan!

------------------
I am committed to restore your faith in extreme violence...

Link
Overlord Executioner, Slayer of Fluffed Beings
Member of Clan HADB
Supreme Warrior of Myst
Official Entertainer in Cloudy's Cafe
Old 10-04-2001, 09:23 AM   #54
Sharpedge
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Silver Cheetah:
But it's by means of the struggle that we grow, Sharpedge. Yes/No?

Hmm. Now that's an interesting question. It's something I've often considered and I believe it to be entirely relevant to the human condition (which is why I like the quote so much). Would our lives have any meaning if we didn't have to deal with our darker side (and, indeed, the darker side of life in general)? I would say our 'duel nature' is both a strength and a weakness. Growth is not always triggered by conflict, though I suppose some of our most profitable evolutions originate in hardship.

It’s not a question that can be answered quickly or easily and the only thing I’m sure of is that I cannot give a complete answer.

What do you think?

------------------

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.

Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure."
Old 10-04-2001, 09:37 AM   #55
tothespring
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Silver Cheetah:
Re number 1) - I had a boyfriend like that once.....

You don't think I'm a guy, do you? I'm a girl (you'll have to take my word for it )!

Actually, I have to keep saying that to myself because I usually back off when pple get too loud or aggressive... too much of a softie at times
Old 10-04-2001, 09:43 AM   #56
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharpedge:
Hmm. Now that's an interesting question. It's something I've often considered and I believe it to be entirely relevant to the human condition (which is why I like the quote so much). Would our lives have any meaning if we didn't have to deal with our darker side (and, indeed, the darker side of life in general)? I would say our 'duel nature' is both a strength and a weakness. Growth is not always triggered by conflict, though I suppose some of our most profitable evolutions originate in hardship.

It’s not a question that can be answered quickly or easily and the only thing I’m sure of is that I cannot give a complete answer.

What do you think?

Going to answer your question with a question, at least initially... What would you see as the non conflict/non dark side factors that contribute to growth as being?

(Would also like to make the rather obvious point that conflict/the presence of the shadow side doesn't always result in growth. It is possible to blame all situations/events on third parties, completely abdicating one's own responsibility in relation to such. This is a well worn path, and I have walked it myself many times, especially in younger years.

This type of response often has its roots in the fact that many people don't realise the potential for growth that lies within each one of us, or are afraid of it. They take refuge in 'powerlessness' and the consequent inaction that that way of thinking brings, with the result that the growth that could have taken place, does not.

Growth is inevitable, however, however slowly it happens, and I have noticed that if one refuses to learn from a certain situation or event, life is likely to evolve in such a way that the opportunity for a particular form of growth is presented again and again.

This repetition is due, generally speaking, to one's being stuck in (often unconscious) behavior patterns. Such behavior patterns lead to consequences which must be dealt with, again and again, presenting themselves often in different guises, but presenting themselves nevertheless. Until the source of the patterns are explored and understood, chances are that you'll keep coming up against the same type of problems/uncomfortable or difficult life situations until you have 'grown out' of them.

Anyway, that's what I think! Bit simplistic, maybe... but it'll have to do for now..

------------------

Most Ecstatic and Exotic Mistress of the Illuminati

[This message has been edited by Silver Cheetah (edited 10-04-2001).]
Old 10-04-2001, 09:46 AM   #57
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by tothespring:
[B] You don't think I'm a guy, do you? I'm a girl (you'll have to take my word for it )!

B]
Hey dudette, sorry, my remark was just me being flip, and not meant to reflect on you in any way whatever! BTW, I like your 'name'.....

------------------

Most Ecstatic Mistress of the Exotic and Illuminated Mango
Old 10-04-2001, 09:57 AM   #58
Absynthe

Hello all!
Just have a minute, so I'll cram a lot into this:
Growth without conflict would include include understanding through observation and meditation. growth is possible through reflection on the patterns observed in the world around us. One could argue that conflict is still present in the situations being observed, but I think that would be tertiary.

Tothespring, welcome! Don't fret gender-bending, it happens quite often around here.

Silver Cheetah, in re the former boyfriend, was that a way of resolving conflict, or just the price of admission, so to speak? If the former, I may become more argumentative with you...

Fljotsdale, the mermaid quote actually had me all misty-eyed. how poignant.

------------------

Old 10-04-2001, 10:01 AM   #59
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

Hiya, Absynthe!!!

Glad to see you sneaking in here again!

Got your message the other day, btw, and thanks. Thought maybe you just didn't like my questions any more.

I, personally, would NEVER post from work...*looks around to see if boss is looking*

Sorry to go off topic for a moment, but gotta take any opportunity to say a quick 'hi'!

------------------

The day we stop learning is the day we start dying!(c)

Co-Owner/Operator of the Evil Petting Zoo and devout member of the HADB clan.
Commander of the Dragon Fleet, IW Peacekeeping Force
Sublime Sister of the Illuminati - may the Light shine forever!
Mage extraordinair, Pin-Up Girl for the OLD-COOTS
Magey-Wagey: performer in the Nekked Dancing Trio of the ORT.
Occasional minion to Gwhanos the Fluffy

Hopeless Romantic *sigh*

[This message has been edited by DragonMage (edited 10-04-2001).]
Old 10-04-2001, 10:03 AM   #60
Diogenes Of Pumpkintown
Banned User

Hmmm . . . can't think of a quote that captures my "essence" exactly (in fact, I think it debatable that humans have such "essences" ) but here is a quote I really like as an approach to life, which I was reminded of a couple of days ago:

"It is not the critic who counts. Not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause. Who, at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat." Theodore Roosevelt