Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2007, 08:36 AM   #1
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Execution reenactment has tragic end for Webster boy

In a tragic case of television influencing life, the Chronicle reports that a 10-year-old Webster boy apparently accidentally hanged himself while reenacting the hanging of Saddam Hussein. The boy, Sergio Pelico, had reportedly watched TV news reports of Saddam's death — complete with images of him with a noose around his neck — before the incident. "I would think maybe this kid is trying something that he thinks fun to act out without having the emotional and psychological maturity to think the thing through before he acts on it," California clinical psychologist Edward Bischof told the Chronicle. "This is a real case where TV appears to be a stimulant."

Investigators learned Sergio was upset because his father, Celso Sontay, got his little brother a Christmas present but didn't get Sergio one. Still, they don't think that caused him to kill himself — Sergio's uncle said the kid was happy, but very curious, and he was found with a slipknot tied around his neck while on a bunk bed. "I don't think he thought it was real," the uncle, Julio Gustavo, said. "They showed them putting the noose around [Saddam's] neck and everything. Why show that on TV?"

Sergio wasn't the only apparent victim of mimicry after the execution: In Pakistan, a 9-year-old boy died by hanging himself from a ceiling fan while reenacting Saddam's hanging with the help of his sister. Bischof said cases like these point up the importance of parents keeping track of what their kids watch on TV and explaining why they're seeing what they're seeing.

(Soruce: http://www.houstonist.com/archives/2...ion_reena.php_

[ 01-05-2007, 08:37 AM: Message edited by: Dreamer128 ]
Dreamer128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 10:02 AM   #2
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Wow that's sad. Sounds like the kid was acting out cause he didn't get a present for Christmas, and happened to have seen the hanging on TV, so re-enacted it to perhaps get attention from his father. Obviously there were some sort of problems with that family to begin with. I don't think the media is to blame on this one, although I can see why the father would want others to believe that.

Reality Show Recaps
Ladyzekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 09:50 AM   #3
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

wow

http://www.hughwilson.com
Yorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 01:38 PM   #4
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Where are all the nay sayers now??????

Oh no! Games cannot influence children! It just can't happen.
I guess only TV can?!

Anybody know if he was a legal/illegal resident of Texas?

Sad, but children WILL replicate what they see!

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 03:26 PM   #5
Kyrvias
Lord Ao

Quote:
Actually, I'd have to argue that. At age 10, children are at about the age when they start realising what they do has consequences. Sticking silverware in light sockets, running into the road after a ball, etc.

Well, I at least know I was at that age, as were most people I knew (and still know)
Kyrvias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 03:55 PM   #6
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
I agree, i knew the differences between right and wrong early enough. I never been in such a situation, but i'm pretty sure that even at the age of 8, i would never put a rope around my neck and go stand on a chair or something. And i never imitated something i saw on TV as far as i can remember. You're an idiot, or you're not, and it makes no difference what age you are.
Old 01-07-2007, 04:07 PM   #7
SecretMaster
Apophis

Quote:
Originally posted by Felix The Assassin:

I guess only TV can?!

I don't see why you would ask if his residency was illegal or not. The fact of the matter is a child was killed, why should him being legal or illegal matter?

Also, I do think there is some degree of influence on children in regards to tv/video games. But you can't just shove all the blame on it. I think this is a case of terrible parenting. I find it messed up that the parents would allow the child to even watch the video footage of Saddam's execution. I find it more messed up that they didn't even take the time to explain and tell them what had just transpired.

There is a chance of children replicating what they see, but that is the whole point of parenting. To make sure your kids don't go about doing incredibly stupid shit.
SecretMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 04:31 PM   #8
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Quote:
Originally posted by SecretMaster:
quote:
Originally posted by Felix The Assassin:

I guess only TV can?!

I don't see why you would ask if his residency was illegal or not. The fact of the matter is a child was killed, why should him being legal or illegal matter?
[/QUOTE]After reading the article it's quite clear he comes from a poor and possibly destitute family. That being the case, somebody has to pay the funeral bill. If he's illegal, you or your parents and I will ultimately pay for his funeral through this years taxes.

It's not about the child, it's about politics! Where are all the big game bashers? Why is there no public outrage? Where is that evil outfit, ACLU?

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 05:47 PM   #9
Havock
Dungeon Master

I only have 2 things to say. Where were his parents while he was hanging himself? Why blame T.V.?? Bad parenting is to blame here. Well, bad parenting and Darwins theory of survival of the fittest.

http://www.myspace.com/measuredingrey
Havock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 05:57 PM   #10
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Agreed. Kids aren't muses that have to imitate everything they see. Sure, they might imitate their favorite cartoon character or what have you, but there is a sesne of right and wrong as was said above. If the child at that age, is at risk when seeing these images on TV then he/she should be watched at all times and his exposure strictly monitored until some sense kicks in. We do that anyway, with toddlers. At 10, I have to agree there is a definate sense of clarity developing concerning what is real and what isn't, what hurts and what doesn't.