Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2002, 05:40 PM   #1
uss
20th Level Warrior

I`m having a bit of a hard time doing that because there are soo many of them! Should i start playing it from the start? Does Final Fantasy 1 = Ancient game with sh***y graphics? What should i do??
Old 07-19-2002, 05:45 PM   #2
Neb
Account deleted by Request

Final Fantasy 4-7 are definitely great games. You should try them. 7 is the best of them.
Old 07-19-2002, 05:51 PM   #3
uss
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Neb:
Final Fantasy 4-7 are definitely great games. You should try them. 7 is the best of them.
yeah, but where should i start? should i start from FF 1 or 4, oh Nebbly, Nebbly Neb [img]smile.gif[/img] ?
Old 07-19-2002, 05:55 PM   #4
Neb

Quote:
Originally posted by uss:
quote:
yeah, but where should i start? should i start from FF 1 or 4, oh Nebbly, Nebbly Neb [img]smile.gif[/img] ?[/QUOTE]There isn't any story that's present through all of them. So you can start with whichever you want, really [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 07-19-2002, 05:57 PM   #5
uss
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
quote:
quote:
yeah, but where should i start? should i start from FF 1 or 4, oh Nebbly, Nebbly Neb [img]smile.gif[/img] ?[/QUOTE]There isn't any story that's present through all of them. So you can start with whichever you want, really [img]tongue.gif[/img] [/QUOTE]Ok, i think i'll start with playing FF 4. Thanks [img]smile.gif[/img] .
Old 07-19-2002, 06:04 PM   #6
andrewas
Harper

Every FF uses a different world and plot, so theres no need to play them all. And unless you can read Japanese your not going to be able to experience most of the early ones. I did hear rumours a few years back about a project to update FF6 1-6 to use the FF6 engine and be in english, but nothing seems to have come of it.

FF6 (my fave) is easily available on SNES emulator. I would recommend soldering a SNES gamepad to your PC (carefuly) to make the most of the experience. I did. Of course since your emulating a PSX pad would be best. Or even a PC pad if you dont happen to have old pads around.

The early FF's I havent played - FF3 (possibly 3) was also on the SNES site I visited but that version had somewhat massive bugs.

FF7 should still be in budget sections - if there was any justice in the world, which there isnt. Its still my favorite FF. Havent seen it in about a year tho, no idea what the availability situation is in estonia. Its my second favorite FF.

FF8 is still in budget sections as of last month. Its good, the FMV is superb, but the junction/draw system is far too complex and time consuming.

The Materia (FF7) and Esper (FF6) systems were better IMHO.

BTW every FF uses a different system for magic.

FF9 and 10 are only on playstation. Emulable with a Beast of a PC.

FF11 is an online game and I dont think its out yet. It will be on PC tho.
Old 07-19-2002, 06:08 PM   #7
Neb

Quote:
Originally posted by andrewas:
I would recommend soldering a SNES gamepad to your PC (carefuly) to make the most of the experience. I did. Of course since your emulating a PSX pad would be best. Or even a PC pad if you dont happen to have old pads around.
Don't bother with this. All of the FF games I've played so far have been great fun with just my keyboard. It has nothing to do with the experience whether you use an SNES gamepad or your keyboard.
Old 07-19-2002, 06:13 PM   #8
andrewas
Harper

Quote:
Don't bother with this. All of the FF games I've played so far have been great fun with just my keyboard. It has nothing to do with the experience whether you use an SNES gamepad or your keyboard.
Well, I happened to have all the parts lying around. Seriously, I looked in my desk drawer and found all the connectors and diodes to make the adapter, which is freaky and an indication I need more interesting stuff to put in my desk drawer. And its not like its hard to do.

Agreed that its not strictly neccessary for FF7 and below, but FF8s boost system needs a controller with a high repeat rate and the keyboard dosent cut it. Although the pulse chip in the pads acting up, but even without Turbo a pads still faster and quiter than the keyboard.
Old 07-19-2002, 06:15 PM   #9
uss
20th Level Warrior

uh, i really don`t understand.. are the FFs playable in an average PC? FF 4 is made in 1990(WTF!?), which must mean that it`s freely(and legally) downloadlable somewhere?
Old 07-19-2002, 06:22 PM   #10
andrewas
Harper

Quote:
uh, i really don`t understand.. are the FFs playable in an average PC? FF 4 is made in 1990(WTF!?), which must mean that it`s freely(and legally) downloadlable somewhere?
Only FF7 and 8 are native to the PC. FF 1-6 are emulable, youll have to look up the sites yourself but its not hard to find. Only three of the first seven are available in english.

FF9 and 10 are emulable with a high-end PC but there are legal issues to do with BIOS ROMS and therefore I woudnt recommend it. And there a HUGE download anyway, couple weeks on dial-up. These issues dont affect 1-6 since the BIOS ROMS for the relevant consoles are public domain now.