Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Your favourite gaming system(Roleplaying, not console/PC, etc.)
2nd edition Advanced Dungeons and Dragons 7 15.56%
3rd edition Dungeons and Dragons 6 13.33%
1st edition Dungeons and Dragons 16 35.56%
GURPS 2 4.44%
RIFTS 3 6.67%
Unisystem(All Flesh Must Be Eaten, etc.) 7 15.56%
Alternity 1 2.22%
Freeform(Or some sort of diceless) 2 4.44%
Other(Please enlighten us as to your inferior choice) 1 2.22%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-05-2007, 07:27 PM   #21
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

A distinct lack of World of Darkness I sense. And I see it has been noted. Well, for the record, NWoD/WoD gets my vote.
Old 01-05-2007, 07:32 PM   #22
PurpleXVI
Emerald Dragon

Yes, Vampire: The Masquerade, is not heroic, because you can get killed by just a couple of good attacks from whatever it is that you're vulnerable to.

And hey, just what are we going on about, here? You keep going: "BUT THEY DON'T DIE EASILY." and I respond: "Yes, because it's a heroic system, they're not supposed to." You respond: "BUT THEY GET TOO POWERFUl." I respond: "Yes, because it's a heroic system, they're supposed to."

And if your players got to level 20, wow, sorry to say it, but I wouldn't want to play in your campaign, I'd say you let them rise much too swiftly if they got there in any less than two years, either that or you had very frequent sessions. I mean, even slaying a Great Wyrm dragon, after you split the XP between the people involved, hardly offers an instant level-up unless you're too low-level to actually slay a dragon, so you must've either offered vast hordes of weak enemies to rip through or given them large XP rewards for completing things.

And of course you're not impossible to kill even at level 20. I could devise a hundred ways for four or five level 3 to 7 characters to take down a level 20 character of any class if he didn't cover his ass very well. Just watch me, it's the sort of thing I'd enjoy.
PurpleXVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 07:33 PM   #23
PurpleXVI
Emerald Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Bozos of Bones:
A distinct lack of World of Darkness I sense. And I see it has been noted. Well, for the record, NWoD/WoD gets my vote.
Apologies, but the list would be twenty pages if I included every game.
Old 01-05-2007, 07:43 PM   #24
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

The xp was awarded by the book, and the encounters were challenging. I can't pull out numbers, it's been too long since I played, but on average I think most DMs aim for a level every 5-6 adventures. We had 2 sessions a week on average, and our sessions were long enough that a dungeon crawl took one session, two at most. That's 8 sessions a month, so around a level and an half a month. That's about a year to get to level 20. But since the first 5 levels usually go faster, we can probably drop that to 8-10 months to level 20.

Edit: I'll take you up on your offer, I'll create a level 20 character, with the resources and items a level 20 character should have, you create 4 level 5 characters with the equipment of level 5 characters, then come up with 30 scenarios to kill my character. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

[ 01-05-2007, 07:46 PM: Message edited by: Luvian ]
Luvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 07:47 PM   #25
PurpleXVI
Emerald Dragon

Eight sessions a month? A level and a half a month? Whoah diggity dang. I must've just been raised with a different DM'ing tradition. I had the sort of DM where you got one +1 item in your entire character's lifetime, after about three years of gaming that half the frequency you describe, I'd reached 8th level.

Ah man, I remember that asshole DM so well, best DM ever. No mercy anywhere, nothing given for free. The best part ever was the one time where I was sitting in on a session because my character was out cold and the group's Paladin hadn't showed, so I was playing him instead. His Paladin was strong, powerful and wise, but not very intelligent... So I played his nobility as a very high willingness to take shots for the rest of the group without thinking about it. So when someone else was about to drink an unknown potion that "my" character figured might kill him, my guy grabbed it from him and swallowed it all. Turned out it was something like wood grain alcohol and my character spent the rest of the session drunk off his ass until he wandered off a ledge and fell 500 feet to his death.
Old 01-05-2007, 07:50 PM   #26
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

Not possible to kill a well equipped level 20 character(as in, not a monster or NPC) with anything less than a level 20 character. Four level 5 characters will not cut it. Doubly so if the level 20 dude is a Monk, or any kind of spellcaster.

Does anyone know if there's such a thing as a WH40k RPG in existence or in the works?
Old 01-05-2007, 07:53 PM   #27
PurpleXVI
Emerald Dragon

There's no Monk in 2nd edition, firstly, and secondly? I could think up a plan to do it. This is assuming that the level 20 character is not decked out in full +5 gear with a +5 weapon, fully armored with Spell Contingencies and has five full Spell Triggers ready.

If he's any sort of Arcane caster without Spell Triggers or Spell Contingencies, I would actually bet that I could kill him EASIER than a 20th level warrior, barbarian, ranger, paladin, etc.

This isn't necessarily a head-on fight, we're assuming some sort of ambush where the lower-level characters have had time to prepare. If they spot each other a mile apart on some wide open plain, of course the lower-level ones are going to get picked apart by missile fire or combat spells before they can even close to fighting range.
Old 01-05-2007, 07:57 PM   #28
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Items were also awarded by the book, but not randomly. No vorpal swords or things like that. I was a pretty hard as a DM too. Like I said I don't like the hp system too much, so I balanced the key monsters based on the strength of the party. My Dragons were bigger and had more hp. They also fought intelligently, none of that "I can fly, cast spells and breath fire, but I'll just stand there on the ground and let them surround me." They'd use hit and run while flying, target the mages and priests first, stay out of range, had traps ready in their lairs etc. And they had escape routes for when they thought they were about to lose. They were a real pain. Like Dragons should be.

[ 01-05-2007, 08:16 PM: Message edited by: Luvian ]
Old 01-05-2007, 08:01 PM   #29
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Bozos of Bones:
Does anyone know if there's such a thing as a WH40k RPG in existence or in the works?
I remember hearing of one, but I don't know if it was official or fan made.

It look like there is a Warhammer fantasy one anyway: http://www.legendgames.co.uk/acatalo...ying_Game.html
Old 01-05-2007, 08:01 PM   #30
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Felix The Assassin:
quote:
Originally posted by Illumina Drathiran'ar:
Please. I'm a geek.

As for my die preference... It cannot be expressed in Euclidian numbers and shapes, thank you very much.
AHH, but we can all dreamily guess what your die form is! [/QUOTE]Pray that you don't, Felix. Pray that you don't.

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote