Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2001, 06:47 PM   #1
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Okay, new poll: What's the most creative thing you've done to solve a problem, puzzle, or dilemma in the game? Lateral Thought is definitely a plus here.

I guess mine would be the same as in my recent thread: finding out I could climb up the wall at Brimloch Roon, walk on the treetops around to the Lost Sea, and get to that area long before doing the Anephas tomb. The reason? To get the seeds from the Living Trees (Bark Horrors) for the Wizard quest before opening the tomb so I could get the third Wizard quest. (It worked for all my characters! Plus, now I have a portal on the Isle of Sands that I can go to anytime I want to level up a character quickly. (Mega experience monsters there).

What's the most creative "thinking outside the box" thing you've successfully pulled in the game?

Sazerac
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2001, 07:13 PM   #2
skywalker
Banned User

Spoilers..... Maybe?
I think that when I dropped the Genie Lamp after I made my 3rd wish and kept getting more wishes by dropping it over and over was neat.

Also, in the Boogre Prison, when S'Keser Da throws the switch to drop you, my group kept jumping 'til the floor closed up. Then I flipped the lever and left. Came back in and the barred door opened, letting me open the chest with the Band Of Boars inside.
Of course after finishing that quest, I entered the prison the usual way.

By the way, did you know that if you offer boogre brew to the Idol with the 2 chests on either side right after the Gauntlet, you can get the Berserker or Giant Strike trait? I do believe I've become a traits junkie.

Mark
skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2001, 10:52 PM   #3
Moni

I don't know how many other people killed Elyssia & her friends in the Serpent Temple this way but I added a little flare to the end of our battle with her that had us puffed up for a while, lol!

I went into the auditorium, hit her with a Flamestrike & when she summoned her priests, I ran back, out playing peek a boo with them around the 4 corners of that small room until they were all dead. Then I went back into the auditorium, threw another spell at Elyssia and ran back when she came after us...after that it was just a matter of who was going to get who first around the next corner, lol! (Not using Spirit Eye either!)

Finally, when she was almost dead, I led her back towards the auditorium, jumped up on her table with the dead guy on it and blasted her as she came in.

From our point of view (standing up there on her table), her death was nothing less than a spectacular feat of ingenuity at work & success against one who had at that point presented herself as our most formidable opponent yet!
Old 01-12-2001, 10:54 PM   #4
Moni

Nothing compared to you Kings of Ingenuity, granted...you actually beat the game in a sense but I thought I would brag. : )
Old 01-13-2001, 04:30 AM   #5
carg
The Magister

A while ago I'd answer: using create portal and teleport to move horse and/or ship to other locations. But that is fairly common knowledge now.
When I played with three characters I could only rub Alababa's lamp once, because rubber as well as target may not have been beneficiery yet. So I created 2 new characters for this: one to rub for the second, and then quickly dropping the lamp and selecting one of my own characters to be beneficiery of the wish. One of them I named Mule: I could nicely store equipment with him in the Inn that I didn't need at the moment.
carg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2001, 10:41 AM   #6
analander
Elite Waterdeep Guard

The most useful and worthwhile solution I came up with while playing the game is to save often and keep a running backup of all savegame files each time the six save slots filled up. That way when I encountered a game stopping bug, I had a fuller choice of savegames to restore from.

- John
http://www.tk421.net/wizardry/
analander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2001, 04:46 PM   #7
adam mage

how to climb DOWN the long ladder...

Moni - I played hide 'n' seek with Elyssia also but I forget myself and blasted my team with my 'Flamestrike'
when she's really low in her hit points and I ran out of magic, I take my strongest members (pumped up with Heroic Might and Haste) and chopped her into snakeskin boots

I save my game into 3-4 categories:
1) go back and start the quest over again
2) go back and correct something if you messed up
3) oh no! I got killed! start over and work on your hit points
4) major quest finished
Old 01-13-2001, 05:25 PM   #8
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

carg - as I recall you were the first to mention using the Create Portal and Teleport to unstick the ship - so you get full credits from me!!!

Will have to think if I managed to be very clever! Right now I'm coming down with a cold and find it hard to think at all, much less with any efficient lateral cognition! Well at least my vocabulary isn't as weak as my mind today!

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2001, 05:55 PM   #9
Mohazek
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Mine was wayyy early on blasting the mud things at the crypt ent - I would blast AE - run like hell, turn - Blast, run like hell - till - i got to the area where there was some trees and a circular path - got the critters stuck there and did the peek a boo thing till i finally ganked em - gained 2 levels each there.

On a completely side note - I couldnt find any bark horrors - where the hell are they?
Mohazek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2001, 06:05 PM   #10
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Bark Horrors are to be found in the Isle of Sands area!

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote