Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2002, 09:54 AM   #1
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

I've been meaning to try this feature, and finally had the chance last night.

If you haven't heard of it, this program allows you to invite someone to help you with computer problems. They can either watch what your doing or take control of your machine. You send an invitation for someone to help you and can turn your machine completely over to them.

I didn't need the help but my uncle sent me an invitation, I took control, downloaded some programs, ran some scans, and fixed his problem. It would have taken me an entire day to "walk him through" the things I did in about an hour.

Awesome! I think it would be a bit slow with dialup, but we both have broadband, so it was smoking!

I'll never have to make a computer "house call" agian.
Old 10-06-2002, 09:59 AM   #2
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Cool! I did not realize that anybody could do that...I thought that only MSN technitions would be able to. Sure, this is a great thing to have, if the owner knows how to protect himself and fully trusts the person he is handing the keys to his baby over to. Thanks for the info. I am still trying to save up to get XP Home Full install.
Old 10-06-2002, 10:04 AM   #3
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

It is really neat. He was a bit concerned that just anyone might get into his computer, but I explained, he has to send an invitation to start the process. No one can request to look at your computer through remote assistance, it can only be used to invite someone. Once you're hooked up, the invitee can then request control, but the owner has to ok it first.

You're absolutely right about trusting the person you're inviting because they could screw up your machine completely.
Old 10-06-2002, 11:53 AM   #4
andrewas
Harper

There are programs to do this in any OS. VNC (dont have a link, look it up) will work on anything, PC anywhere will handle any windows/DOS setup.

I was using VNC to control my work NT server the other day, virus elimination duties AGAIN. Bit slow over dialup but usable. It feels a bit weird to be mouse dragging elements of the screen that havent been drawn yet, but you get used to it.

Problem with VNC is you dont send an invite, anyone that knows your IP or URL can request a connection any time you have the server running. But it is passworded. And the progam works by spoofind the computer into thinking its getting local input, so the mouse pointer moves and you can see whats happening. (and also use MSDOS as a cheap chat should two people decide to connect to the same server)

Havent used windows XP remote administration yet, I get the feeling I will be soon enough though.
Old 10-06-2002, 02:57 PM   #5
The Hunter of Jahanna
Emerald Dragon

This thing is built into every windows OS. It is a hackers dream come true, as well as the Governments. All you need is the activation signal, available in a ping from Microsoft and any comp runing a Microsoft OS is yours for the peruseing. It is only marginaly secure because anyone with a fast system and a password decoding program can just bombard the system they are trying to hack with pass words and signals untill it pops open like a bra on prom night.It also completely bypasses any firewall protection because it isnt seen as intrudeing into your system. It is just another part of your OS programming. It was originaly intended to help Microsoft help desk techs fix errors created by end users. I havent heard of anyone hacking into a system this way, probably because it woud be a royal pain in the arse,but it is a posibility.
Old 10-06-2002, 03:05 PM   #6
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

I knew about PCAnywhere, but after trying to get it setup at work, I think the Remote Assistance is much more user friendly. Just send an invite to someone in your buddy list on MSN Messenger. It's great!

It's not password protected, but the only way into the other computer is for them to send an invitation. Once connected you can view their desktop, but have to request control and be authorized by the user.

ZoneAlarm completely eliminates this ability. We had to close his ZA long enough to get the job done.
Old 10-06-2002, 03:10 PM   #7
andrewas
Harper

Hunter, theres cautious and then theres paranoid. Which are you?

Someimtes M$ includes a feature simply because its useful. If someone wanted to get into your system there are security holes in IE5.5 which are still around, and IE6 is bound to have a few more. Then theres good old fasioned user stupidity.
Old 10-06-2002, 03:47 PM   #8
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by andrewas:
Then theres good old fasioned user stupidity.
This is my preferred method of computer mayhem! It's the only problem I've ever had...lol. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-06-2002, 05:23 PM   #9
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by andrewas:
(and also use MSDOS as a cheap chat should two people decide to connect to the same server)
Person 1: How are you today?
Bad command or file name
Person 2: I`m godo, how are you?
Bad command or file name.

Old 10-07-2002, 09:06 AM   #10
Thoran
Galvatron

I've always been a fan of pcanywhere (there's a program with longevity [img]smile.gif[/img] ), but lately I've just been using terminal services on my 2000 and .Net servers... over broadband the connection is reasonably snappy.

I think that help utility looks pretty cool (have yet to use it tho). A lot has been made of some of the security features of xp... things like activation are really intended to curb the rampant pirating of the os, not to invade our privacy. Now having said that, the whole .NET Passport stuff is a concern... I hate to see too much of my personal information trusted to someone else (M$ in this case). My M$ Universal Subscription is managed through that single point, along with pretty much everything else that's Microsoft related. Seems pretty risky to me, if someone got ahold of that info they could cause all sorts of problems for myself and microsoft.