Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2005, 09:36 PM   #1
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

You know, I read a lot of the threads and I see LOL a lot; I mean a lot of times. The thing I find is that in most of those posts there isn't really anything to laugh about. Why would people bother to put it in?
I'm just curious as to why the bother of putting it in all?
Old 01-09-2005, 09:38 PM   #2
Sir Degrader
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Because we have a sick twisted sense of humor, while you are a pure freespirited soul? lol
Sir Degrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 09:40 PM   #3
Spirits forever

LOL..LOl LOl LOl LOl !!

and the resond behind this, is simple

just to tick you off [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 01-09-2005, 09:42 PM   #4
armageddon272
Symbol of Cyric

Well, it's just reflexive I guess. Also the avergae person is too lazy to spell out "Be Right Back" or "In My Opinion" so the threads are also litterred with abbreviation such as LOL and IMO.
armageddon272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 09:44 PM   #5
SomeGuy
Unicorn

I think for some people it's more of a grammatical thing. Since most acronyms are all capitals, some people feel the need to capatilize it too, even though most people use "lol" for somewhat funny things, and some people use "LOL" for exceptionally funny things. It just depends on the person.
\"I firmly believe that any man\'s finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious.\"<br />-Vince Lombardi
SomeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 10:23 PM   #6
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Hey someguy, you're looking kinda priestly hot or what!

But, would y'all agree a little though that there is a lot of that when there isn't really anything funny?
Old 01-09-2005, 10:28 PM   #7
Blind_Prophet
Symbol of Cyric

I think alot of the members here just are alil under the influence of some substence or another there in lies why everything get an LOL because they really are laughing at nothing it just seems funny at the time.

ROFLZ
Old 01-09-2005, 10:33 PM   #8
Sythe
Ra

Quote:
Originally posted by Blind_Prophet:
I think alot of the members here just are alil under the influence of some substence or another there in lies why everything get an LOL because they really are laughing at nothing it just seems funny at the time.

ROFLZ
I agree and perhaps drunk at the time. [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]
Old 01-10-2005, 01:07 AM   #9
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

LOL. Different people see things differently. To you a post may seem to be unlaughable but to other people it is funny as hell. ROFLMAOTIDD.
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 01:32 AM   #10
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

Long before electronic communication became available, it was somewhat standard practice to write "(haha)" in a handwritten letter after you had said something in a joking fashion. Of course, one of my English teachers pointed out that this was very poor form, as the joke should be funny enough to be recognized as such without the reader having to be told to laugh. Then again, the writer could use it to denote that he/she was saying something sarcastically.

The "LOL" abbreviation is used much the same way, only in response to certain commments. The person will type "LOL" to show that he/she thought a particular comment was funny or they may also use it in a sarcastic manner when admonishing the original poster that they felt a comment or joke had been made in bad taste.

I personally haven't noticed it being used to an excessive degree. It is usually appropriate in the threads where it does occur. The particular comment may not seem funny to you, but as Kakero mentioned above, different people think different things are funny. Usually the "LOL" is used to denote something is amusing while "ROTFLMAO" is used when somebody thinks something is really funny (usually means the reader actually did "laugh out loud" at the comment made). And of course, IM and emails have generated their own genre of abbreviations (though I have to admit that "ROTFLMAOTIDD" is new to me).