Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2002, 02:28 PM   #31
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Heirophant's post was hyperbole.

Main Entry: hy·per·bo·le
Pronunciation: hI-'p&r-b&-(")lE
Function: noun
Etymology: Latin, from Greek hyperbolE excess, hyperbole, hyperbola, from hyperballein to exceed, from hyper- + ballein to throw —more at DEVIL
Date: 15th century
: extravagant exaggeration (as "mile-high ice-cream cones")
- hy·per·bo·list /-list/ noun
Old 08-06-2002, 03:00 PM   #32
SomeGuy
Unicorn

Well.My sister's friend knows who done it.He's going to go to the dude who did it and say "I'll give you fifty dollars for that cd player face." And we he comes to give it to him,my sister's friend is going to punch the dudes lights out. Voilent and will start a fight.Not a very good idea.
\"I firmly believe that any man\'s finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious.\"<br />-Vince Lombardi
Old 08-06-2002, 04:11 PM   #33
Lord Shield

Quote:
Originally posted by SomeGuy:
Well.My sister's friend knows who done it.He's going to go to the dude who did it and say "I'll give you fifty dollars for that cd player face." And we he comes to give it to him,my sister's friend is going to punch the dudes lights out. Voilent and will start a fight.Not a very good idea.
No way am I going to condone that sort of action. What if the target sues the friend? What if he "visits" your sister's friend with half a dozen of his own subsequently?

Old 08-06-2002, 04:17 PM   #34
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Shield:
quote:
Originally posted by SomeGuy:
No way am I going to condone that sort of action. What if the target sues the friend? What if he "visits" your sister's friend with half a dozen of his own subsequently?[/QUOTE]Come on now LS, what would you do if someone broke in to your car and stole your cd player and you knew where he lived ? I would be all over him like a bad suit, and if the guy is too big for me i'll bring a lead pipe.
Old 08-06-2002, 04:20 PM   #35
Lord Shield

If I knew who it was and where they liveD?

I have 12 years unarmeed combat training. I have been practiced with weapons for the last 27 years

So I'd get the police to do it for me

better that than a prison term

Old 08-06-2002, 04:26 PM   #36
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Somehow i don't believe these kinda guys press charges against you after a beating
Old 08-06-2002, 04:29 PM   #37
Lord Shield

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
Somehow i don't believe these kinda guys press charges against you after a beating
you're assuming they admit to things. They could get rid of the evidence THEN reporrt you for beating the skedaddles out of them

or there may well be a witness at the last moment

Old 08-06-2002, 04:33 PM   #38
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

I for one will beat the living crap out of someone who steals from me if I catch them. If the police catch them thats fine. If I get arrested for assault thats fine too. Bet the little worm doesnt steal much after that
And things that get stolen are not "easily replaced". I do not know the age of Someguys sister but I doubt she can afford to "easily replace" her car window and cd player. Insurance doesnt cover cds, and if she only had liabilty insurance it wont cover the damage either. My tools are also not replaced easily. If I cannot make money with them because I no longer have them its a bit hard to replace them eh? Feel free to be as liberal as you want with thieves but I wont. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-06-2002, 04:36 PM   #39
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Shield:
quote:
you're assuming they admit to things. They could get rid of the evidence THEN reporrt you for beating the skedaddles out of them

or there may well be a witness at the last moment
[/QUOTE]I guess i'm saying most of the time those carburglars are junkies, who rather take a beating than get reported to the cops. Cause when they have to spent one or two nights in a policestation, they can't do their thing.
Old 08-06-2002, 04:37 PM   #40
andrewas
Harper

Quote:
Cant belive your *that* naive johnny. Assault is a criminal offence. They can charge you for it, and if they can do so without getting done for theft themselves they probably will. Hell, there was a guy in the paper two weeks ago who broke into some farm, got shot and is sueing the farmer for GBH.

What I would do if someone stole some stuff and I knew who it was - if I could *prove* it Id get the police in - and if I coudnt, do nothing. No point in getting hurt, killed or jailed over a few hudnred quids worth, is there.

Besides, these scum tend to have friends. And knives. Not healthy.