Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2001, 10:14 PM   #11
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Yep, I can see they're all port probes. Their IP addresses are here too, dunno if they're real or not.

------------------
Old 06-25-2001, 10:16 PM   #12
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Ziroc:
I got hit alot when I used black ice, don't bother with it anymore... as long as file and print sharing is off, no one will get in. The hackers usually 'dial' through subnets.. and cycle through them all night.. annoying pricks wasting bandwidth..

Just make sure you scan EVERYTHING, even files from friends, and even fileplanet or interplay.. be safe!
Z, how do you turn file and print sharing off? Is that in IE Options?

------------------
Old 06-25-2001, 11:05 PM   #13
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
Excuse the language, but I've only had my DSL for 54 mins and I already have TWELVE attacks since I've downloaded and installed Black Ice Defender.

How many do people normally get and are these real attacks or what? And what do I do about it?

Memsy!

Welcome to the HIGH TECH world! Guess you see now why we told you to get the Black Ice Defender, huh?!

In the last 8 days I've had 426 hits on my Black Ice Defender. Most of those are harmless or actually false positives. Four were not so innocent. I haven't done it yet,but you can report the nastier attacks (trojan horse and proxy) to the isps of the offenders. BI also allows logging that can be sent if the Isp needs proof. Check the warnings, though. All kinds of your data has to be sent.

Saz tells me he had a trojan horse attempt on his pc the other day and is going to report it, maybe he can tell us how.

Hackers love our fast connections. I'm told my provider is a major target for hackers who like to use you to get to other places to do damage.

How is your connection speed? Are you loving it?!!!

Cloudy

------------------

Raindancer of the Laughing Hyenas Clan
Storm-Queen
StormCloud of the Black Knight: Heart Mind Soul Forever
"To sleep, perchance to dream..."
Old 06-25-2001, 11:10 PM   #14
Ziroc

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
Yep, I can see they're all port probes. Their IP addresses are here too, dunno if they're real or not.

Settings > Control Panel > Network (You should see the file and print sharing bar) make SURE both are NOT checked. then reboot. also, have ya scanned your entire HD with the latest virii scanner? (I use Norton, McAfee, and others) just to be safe.

BTW, Update your profile with yer new email address!

------------------
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster
www.tgeweb.com/ironworks

Old 06-25-2001, 11:29 PM   #15
Ziroc

test

Old 06-25-2001, 11:53 PM   #16
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Hey Z! I'll delete this but have you had trouble with email or anything? Sent something today!

Cloudy

------------------

Raindancer of the Laughing Hyenas Clan
Storm-Queen
StormCloud of the Black Knight: Heart Mind Soul Forever
"To sleep, perchance to dream..."
Old 06-27-2001, 01:32 PM   #17
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

Go to http://www.dslreports.com.

------------------
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
-General George Patton (1885-1945)

Member of CLAN HADB
Old 06-27-2001, 01:33 PM   #18
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

If you go to the tools page, they will scan your ports to see if anything is open

------------------
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."

Member of CLAN HADB
Old 06-28-2001, 05:07 PM   #19
Staralfur
Baaz Draconian

Does the printer and file sharing apply to normal modems, because they're on for the computer I'm using now. Ok the connection isn't as quick, and I think the IP address changes everytime I connect, but is there still a risk? and is it work turning it off?

Old 06-28-2001, 06:33 PM   #20
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

Quote:
Originally posted by Staralfur:
Does the printer and file sharing apply to normal modems, because they're on for the computer I'm using now. Ok the connection isn't as quick, and I think the IP address changes everytime I connect, but is there still a risk? and is it work turning it off?

I wouldn't worry about it. Chances are you get a different IP address each time you connect, and it would be too much work to try to attack you. If you are on a network though, and someone leaves their computer connected to the internet all the time, I suppose you could be hacked, but I doubt anyone would do it.

------------------

Member of CLAN HADB