Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2002, 11:27 AM   #1
fung
Dungeon Master

I've been wondering for some time about the viability of a mace only lizardman fighter. So far my fighters dual wield a sword and Diamond eyes. The means that I have to invest into both the sword skill and mace skill.

I was thinking about starting again using a mace only fighter...and use "The mauler" with diamond's eyes...hence I only have to invest in mace. He is definitely more efficient...but is he more powerful than your typical sword/DE fighter? Also how hard is it to find the mauler?
fung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2002, 12:18 PM   #2
el_kalkylus
Drizzt Do'Urden

I don't think a lizardman is the right race for a dualwielding fighter. Dualwield have controlling attributes intelligence and senses, which the lizardman have really low, so the dualwielding skill will raise VERY slowly.

When you have low dualwielding skill, you will lose alot of effectiviness on your main hand, not to mention your off hand.

Ferro has the Mauler.

[ 07-09-2002, 12:23 PM: Message edited by: el_kalkylus ]
Old 07-09-2002, 12:22 PM   #3
Niob
The Magister

a liz fighter should wield excalibur or lightsword.
if you have diamond eyes as sec. weapon the damage is very high and you can berserk it hard even if your mace skill is not so good
Niob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2002, 12:23 PM   #4
otter
Elminster

You can buy Maulers, it's just a little tough getting to that merchant. I really like my dual-mace Lord, the Dual bonus and Mauler bonus really help DE do its job. Before i get Mauler, i like Vi's Stun Mace, you can get it just like you get the Sax: recruit her, right-click the Stun Mace into one of your PC's packs. Then give Vi any item from the Party inventory, then take the item back, then drop the SM to the ground and dismiss Vi.
It doesn't do a lot of damage, but 15% KO is very effective, esp if you change its target when it knocks one out.
Cat o'9 is fun, too, but it's extended, so you can't use a secondary with it.
otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2002, 12:25 PM   #5
Wereboar
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
I was thinking about starting again using a mace only fighter...and use "The mauler" with diamond's eyes...hence I only have to invest in mace. He is definitely more efficient...but is he more powerful than your typical sword/DE fighter?
It depends on your party, and on your playing style.

The Mauler itself is IMO not as good as Fang (high ko or paralyze chance, but not critical chance). But its bonus to mace&flail granted me always an extra attack or swing with Diamond eyes, and often more primary attacks than with a sword (much easier to get the skill to 100+).

If you reload drops and chests, you'll have many excellent swords (excalibur, light sword, marumasa blade). Even with several sword lovers in the party (samurai, rogue), you'll have a great sword for your fighter. Then a sword fighter is definately more powerful.

IMO mauler is perfect for Lord, due to his mace&flail bonus.
For a fighter, i'll take sword, unless you also have a rogue or samurai.

Quote:
Also how hard is it to find the mauler?
Ferro sells it. For me, he had it every game at my first visit.
Wereboar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2002, 12:56 AM   #6
Kerneth
The Magister

Are there any good offhand mace-type weapons prior to Diamond Eyes?

I have a Lord in my party and want to get him started on his mace skills, dual wielding bloodlust/poison dagger atm.
Kerneth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2002, 07:18 PM   #7
Gimli
Emerald Dragon

Here's something that might work, as there is really only one other offhand mace item before DE for fighters/lords (the plain hammer from Antone in Arnika).

Why not start off dual wielding mace character as a Ninja? Have them build up dual mace skills from Arnika on with dual nunchuckas, Antone also sells them. That is the other offhand mace choice (not open to fighters/lords though). For that phase of the game they're pretty powerful, they have I think a 20% chance KO value. Then after you get DE and the Mauler later on, switch to Fighter or Lord. Probably Fighter is better since you'd be able to beserk, Lord would just give you the +25 dual wield, but the +25 close combat from the Fighter will help. Plus you'd have built up alot of stealth and critical strike to boot.

You could also switch to Ranger, they can dual DE and the Mauler as well, and if you build up Bow while a Ninja instead of throwing, you'd crit with both melee and ranged weapons (also both classes build Alchemy so you could work on that too).