Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2000, 02:54 PM   #1
Rouver

I'm only in Ch 2, and in the dragon's eye, but I'm just wondering how soon I"ll get to do some extra shopping. Do I have access to other shops once I get thru the Dragon's eye? Thanks
Old 11-06-2000, 05:33 PM   #2
Bruja

IWD is a great game, but you've hit upon what I think is one of its few major weaknesses. While I found a couple of shops along the way, they were few, far between, and didn't have much! By the time I could afford anything really powerful, there wasn't anyplace to buy it. Maybe I just missed something, though, because I've never seen this mentioned. Good luck!
Old 11-06-2000, 07:04 PM   #3
Rouver

Yeah...this seems to be a major difference between BG and Icewind Dale (haven't played BGII yet). I remember being able to buy big ticket items much earlier (or rather, drool over them much earlier). There are a few items (armor, rings, etc), but as far as weapons & ESPECIALLY 'magic' bolts & arrows, there are only the ones that I find. This is super frustrating. I spend my whole time tippy-toeing to one baddie at a time, killing him, running away, healing, tippy-toeing, etc. Maybe I just want to make it thru the game with only 2 or 3 people in my group, and it was set up where you HAVE to have a maxed out group...oh well.
Old 11-06-2000, 09:10 PM   #4
Wrath
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Until you get to the second half of the Severed Hand, you'll have to make do with Kuldahar and what you find along the way. But the ghost-merchant in the Severed Hand will be a god-send, he'll keep you up to your ears in +1 Arrows/Bolts/Bullets, Acid Arrows, etc. He's also the man to sell all your unneeded gear to, as he'll buy items for a much higher price than anyone else in the game (1/2 item cost, IIRC). And in one of the final areas in lower Dorn's Deep, you can buy +2 ammo, Acid Arrows, Bolts of Lightning, and other goodies from a rogue Drow...I won't give anymore away though
I personally like this change, it makes you focus more on tactics than uber-gear, which is why bows owned in BG. You have to learn to make do with regular arrows and bullets, and adapt when you come across tough monsters instead of relying on those stacks of Ice Arrows and stuff. It feels nice when you slay the archers in lower Dorn's Deep, knowing you've earned those Arrows of Piercing. Just my opinion though

-Wrath
Wrath is offline   Reply With Quote