Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2011, 01:52 PM   #1
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion
Default Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magik Obscura.. getting it to work on Vista?

Has anyone discovered a way to get this game to work on Vista. In the past, I've tried installing it, but when I try to run it, nothing happens. I'm running an oldish HP Pavilion pretty much stock assembly, dual core processor, 1GB of ram. In terms of power, it should be more than capable of running the game, so I'm guessing the issue has to do with compatability.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 03:12 PM   #2
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

Default Re: Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magik Obscura.. getting it to work on Vista?

Have you tried 'running as administrator' ? How about using XP compatibility mode?

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:07 PM   #3
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Default Re: Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magik Obscura.. getting it to work on Vista?

Oddly enough, this install started just fine. Though the GUI keeps overlaying the black borders during the opening videos. It could be a glitch pertaining to the resolution...
Anyways, I'm looking at patches. there is the official patch. v1074
and an unnofficial patch which is reportedly supposed to be used on a clean un-patched, un-modded install. Which do you think I should go for, and who is a reputable provider of the unofficial patch?

Old 08-25-2011, 05:33 AM   #4
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

This site has a boatload of Arcanum tweaks and the patches. It's reliability is unknown to me. http://www.terra-arcanum.com/

BTW, I run Win7 with MSE and 7's Firewall. I save to Desktop and scan DLs once they are there. How do you do it?

This has the official patch... http://www.gamebanshee.com/arcanum/

Last edited by ElfBane; 08-25-2011 at 05:39 AM.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:34 AM   #5
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

At the moment, with Ad-aware and Windows Defender. So far, I've found nothing in my downloads. I don't know if it's because the files are clean or just because WD's definitions are incomplete. But, my computer hasn't been behaving strangely at all, so I'm going with a clean bill of health.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:41 PM   #6
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Well now, that just sucks. Made progress all the way to Ashbury, and I was tackling the haunted castle when I tried to reload and the game 'decided' that my save file was corrupt. The irritating bit is that whatever seemed to happen killed all three of my saves. The two named files and the auto save.

Old 09-02-2011, 07:11 PM   #7
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

having trouble getting Thorvald Two Stones to join up, Is it because I have magnus in my group or just not enough persuasion? I'm playing the Godfrey Castleburger character, persuasion is at a 3 with expert level training and Charisma is around14/15. Intelligence is over 13 I think, if that makes a difference.

ADD: just found one guide claiming that you have to be at least level 22 as well, I'm level 27, virgil is level 27, I have magnus and Ms. Styles at level 21 each, and dog around level 20, I think., Could it be that I need to have all party members over level 22?If so, that would kinda suck.

Another issue I've noticed, is that I seem to be stuck at 1 fate point. Even when I accomplish something else that should have added another, nothing happens. patched and UAP'd

Could the fact that I'm playing a gnome be a factor?

Last edited by Firestormalpha; 09-02-2011 at 09:38 PM.
Old 09-03-2011, 05:46 AM   #8
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

I can't help with actual gameplay, I never got far into it.