Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2001, 09:03 PM   #21
Draggor
Zhentarim Guard

I think Celestial fury is the best. It's fast, does tons of damage and stops monsters killing you and can be gained early in the game. The Crom Fayr is good but the problem with it is that it's a warhammer. Unless your protagonist is a cleric I doubt you have proficiencie in warhammer because there aren't any other good ones. So by the time you get Crom Fayr your fighter characters who can get the most use out of it have already got big weapons and like four or five proficiencies in that other weapon. You can carry Crom in your off hand and get the strength 25 but then you don't have a shield and if you don't have any slots spent on dual wield then you're penalised more than helped. Agreed the long swords available don't end up as good as other weapons that's the point. It's how Black isle have balanced out the different weapons. With the most powerful weapons there are very few other good ones of that type so your character is weak until you find the good one. If you pick katanas then you're stuck with a measly +1 katana until you can get the fury. While the best long swords or axes for that matter aren't as good as Celestial for example you find pretty good ones easily. So You have to choose between pretty good for a long time or crap for a while then extremely good at the end. Long swords and axes are supposed to be the weapon of choice for the first timer. As the game says katanas are good but the skill is only useful if you can find one and putting slots in katana in order to use Fury isn't much good if you don't know where it is. The best weapon for new players is one of the two +3 axes. I used one in each hand my first game. Axe skill also gives you grand mastery with both melee and missile weapons in the one weapon type.
Old 01-11-2001, 09:12 PM   #22
G.W.

It's strange. I have been through the early chapters with three parties, four times through so I can't remember where to find some of the long swords, such as the Drinker and the Namarra. Pretty sure they are city related quests. Probably failed to loot them at times.

Anyone care to refresh my recollection?

Daystar is great though. The only monsters that aren't evil might be golems, am I correct? As for Cromy Faer, you know you have to have Korgan dual wield that. He's already got a point in warhammers.

Old 01-11-2001, 11:43 PM   #23
PresidentClinton

Early on in the game, if you have a character that is proficent in the two-handed sword, the Sword of Chaos is a pretty good one, IMO. A +2 weapon that heals the user each time he scores a hit. That ain't bad starting out...

Old 01-12-2001, 12:02 AM   #24
Magness
Quintesson

For a good weapon early in the game, don't overlook Lilicor, the talking +3 2H sword. It's relatively easy to get compared to some other weapons.

And Lilicor and Minsc were just made for each other!!!
Old 01-12-2001, 12:28 AM   #25
Archlich Azuth

Can't help but notice no meantion of spears or halberds. are there no good ones?

I don't have the colletion edition stuff so i can't speak for it but i belive that Crom Faeyr is not the best it might increse your strength and kill trolls, some golems and ettins ( why ettins? I only ever met one) and isn't found until the later Chapters.

The worst weapon is the Dagger of [character name] i wish you could make it better.

Old 01-12-2001, 01:36 AM   #26
Rikard T'Aranaxz
Harper

Top 10
1. Crom Feayr - Why? just look at it
2. Celetrial Fury - Gotta love that stun ability
3. Blackrazor - But It requeres cheating to really use it
4. Staff of the Magi - becuase of the bonusses
5. Carsomyr aka The Holy Avenger - +5 weapon need i sat more?
6. Vorpal Sword - 20% instand kill
7. Wave Helbard - 1d10+4 damage +20% change upon 20 xtra damgae
8. Impalor - 1d6+3+10
9. Gesen Bow
10. Sling of Evegard (? sling+5)

now people will ask why not

Daystar - only useable against undead (effectifly)
Dragon's Breath - 2 handed and not as good as the rest
Heartseeker - needs arrows
equilizer - useless against neutral
anything else - not good enough
Old 01-12-2001, 01:42 AM   #27
Rikard T'Aranaxz
Harper

This *might* be easier

Fighter - Vorpal sword or dualwield blackrazor celestial fury
Paladin - Holy Avenger or dualwield blackrazor celestial fury
Ranger - dualwield blackrazor celestial fury
Archer - Gesen bow or Heart seeker
Barbarian - Stonefire and that other Axe+3 with cold and acid damage
Thief - dualwield blackrazor celestial fury
Bard - dualwield blackrazor celestial fury
Magi - Staff of the Magi or Firetooth+3
Cleric - Crom Feayr (maybe dualwield with flail of Ages
Druid - Staff of the woodland (or something) or better dualwield Frostbrand and the Defender (Drizzts weapons)
Old 01-12-2001, 03:04 AM   #28
Hoggar
Welcomed New User

GW - I believe you get one of them from the Crypt King, next door to Bodhi. Don't remember the other though.

Anyway, the weapons I use at the moment (still at chapter 2 actually with 4 home mades)

My Undead Hunter - Holy Avenger (you CAN get Firkraag rather early in the game if you really try). Now, I hear people complaining about this weapon being overrated, and this may be, but I can't think of a better for a paladin (especially when she's got points in 2h swords and 2h weapons). I'll even use it before the Silver Blade when I get that.
My Assassin - He's dual wielding the Celestial Fury and a short sword. Don't remember which one, Fury is what's important. I've developed a nice tactic with him. Poor Lavok, for example, found himself backstabbed to death before he had time to throw up his defences. Also, even if the target survives the initial blow, he might find himself stunned, ie dead meat when the second blow lands or when the rest of the group rounds the corner, screaming with bloodlust.
My Cleric - The flail of ages. A truly great weapon early in the game, and one of the best I've found for clerics. He also has the Sling of Everard.
My Archer - Now this is an interesting class. I never heard anyone use it but I thought I'd try one to check out the longbows in the game, and woah, does she rock. She still holds like 60% of the kills in the group, which not too shabby against the Fury and Carsomyr. I used the Strong Arm at first but now it's the Heartseeker. The supply of arrows is not really a problem, they come in scores in this game.

Other early-on weapons:
Tuigan Bow (Mazzy is a killer early on with this)
Liralcor (I never even bother getting the sword of chaos unless you need like 3 2h swords in your group)
The Boomerang Dagger is a good choice for a mage early on
The Staff of Arundel is a nifty stick for Cernd of Jaheira
Celestial Fury, of course - it has been a turning point for every group I've used, getting this one. With the right tactic, you can do it almost right away.
Old 01-12-2001, 04:16 AM   #29
Zoratorak
Welcomed New User

well i really like to comment but it seems everyone is already telling everyone which are the best of the best of the best OF THE BEST weapons in the game... so i need not bother to type anymore ... in fact why am i typing??? (sheesh)

hmm... really now... lets see
i have a question to all... what is a good weapon for crossbows... i mean why is it there anyway... it fires so slow... kinda weak and only the bolts are nice but very expensive... bows are better... much better... right??
Old 01-12-2001, 04:24 AM   #30
bocaj

Just get a crossbow of speed or if you want better...

spoiler

while in the underdark (I can't remember where) you find a crossbow +4 to hit and +4 damage.
sounds pretty good no??
the only drawback is that you get a -2 to str but who uses that anyway with a crossbow?