Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2003, 03:06 PM   #21
snooch_dawg
Elite Waterdeep Guard

--------------------------------
There is no reason for "riddles" in RPGs, or even adventure games, even though both of the genres think it is part of their identity... yuck. There is, or at least should be, no gratification in being able to track with what some programmer or designer thought was "common sense."
-------------------------------

Unfortunatly, riddles have been around in adventure games as long as there have been computer adventure games. Remember Zork? How do you get through the dark room filled with gasoline vapours? Stumped everyone for a few years.

I agree with you tho. My fav pooter games of all time are the SSI gold Box AD&D RPGs. I like lots of weapons, spells, skills, stats and combat, not riddles.

Havn't played W&W. So I'm not sure why I'm writing this [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-18-2003, 10:20 PM   #22
MasterPooBaa
Zhentarim Guard

How do you get thru a dark room with gasoline vapours???
Old 03-20-2003, 06:23 PM   #23
snooch_dawg
Elite Waterdeep Guard

How do you get thru a dark room with gasoline vapours???
---------------------------------------------------------

I can't remember (I think I was like 7 when I played Zork)...

All I remember is that if you lit a torch you blew yourself up...

And if you tried to walk through the room in dark the Gash would eat you...

Any of you old farts remember the solution to this riddle?
Old 03-20-2003, 10:29 PM   #24
jsalsb
Elminster

unless I'm thinking of some other area, I think this is where you have to put away your torch and use the lamp
Old 04-01-2003, 11:38 PM   #25
thoon
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Another two cents worth ...

I played W&W first, and put it near the top of best games ever played. I has some bugs, and some frustrating areas, and you cannot possibly do everything -- it may even be theoretically impossible.

You shouldn't play this or W8 without expecting to have to ask for help somewhere.

In W8 in order to avoid too many fights, it is important to rest as little as possible, so as to keep the monsters from regenerating. Very long fights (which you lose) can come from entering an area for which you are not at a high enough level. Remember you can run away from or sneak by some opponents.

thoon
thoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 04:35 AM   #26
arde
Welcomed New User

The bugs and the way the interface is handled are certainly annoying.
The patch is a livesaver and a must! That will get rid of most of the bugs...
The biggest problem, however, comes from the interface: not just the menus, but everything, from talking to npcs to trying to take quests and awards.
I played Wiz8 before playing W&W so that might affect my opinion.
But it's hard to enjoy a game where I cannot skip annoying dialogue sequences, saving can only be done outside of towns while loading can only be done inside towns, and don't get me started on how quests and quest awards are handled...
Another thing that erks me, this comes from my own personal view BTW, is the randomization they have in the game: random attribute points on startup (you can cheat, but what's the point of playing?), random HP and skill points given on level up(and the way they handled save & load won't help).

However, if you can get past these problems, you might be able to find at the most, something equally or close to as good as Wiz8.
The annoyances was quite unforgivable for me, so I stopped playing the game after the second quest I've taken.
Conclusion: why bother with all the annoyances and mediocrity when I can play Wiz8 and discover other opportunities for different parties.

PS: One more advantage of buying the game...it's cheap! I got it for only $14.00, but of course I could have just saved the money for something better.
arde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 02:18 AM   #27
the mighty stamar

Well I'm playing wizards and warriors right now. I'm really digging the story of it.

I agree the npcs talking and making you sit there is obnxious. Only game I know where finishing talking to someone is a save point.
And the shop keepers taking about 15 secs to say hey wheres my quest item. That is a strong unfinished point, I think they were in the process of coding in a conversation tree interface like baldurs gate etc and the game was rushed to release with the typing interface still there.

But anyway, I'm having fun with it definitely. It is very difficult and filled with puzzles and party creations strategies. I think most crpgers would like it its a good one. I especially like the written material describing the surroundings.
Better than the other one I checked out which is might and magic 9. I might still get back to that later though.

It does not have the polish of wizardry 8, but I think wiz 8 was in development for 6 years.
Weird things... like theres a horse, and a raft, but no use for them. You can tell they intended for it to be a very comprehensive game but then never finished adding in all the little things.

[ 04-04-2003, 02:26 AM: Message edited by: the mighty stamar ]
the mighty stamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2003, 11:38 PM   #28
thoon
Elite Waterdeep Guard

arde: there is nothing better to spend the money on.

stamar: Actually, you can ride the raft and the horse both, and move faster than you otherwise could

thoon
thoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 06:37 PM   #29
Ziggurat
Symbol of Cyric

Thoon is right, but it took me a while to figure how to use the raft and horsie. It may be a left or right click or some other trick. I missed it at first.