Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2009, 02:22 PM   #51
Albromor
Mephistopheles

Default Re: Adaware help

Variol, I am really glad to see things are working again. ESET as I said is an excellent antivirus and CCleaner is a great little tool.

I call attention to two things Elfbane has mentioned in his response posts.

1. If you haven't done so already uninstall Norton and to do this fully you *have* to go to their website, find the version that you had installed and let their removal tool do it's work.

2. Download malwarebytes and let it do its work.

Also, check out this link by one jbeard. http://www.tech-101.com/system-security/topic198.html

It is an excellent short tutoral on PC security. The one place I disagree with him is his firewall recommendation of Sunbelt (though COMODO is very good). I would place Online Armor's free version well above Sunbelt (as do many tech sites). If ZA is working for you and it keeps you protected so be it.

You may also want to consider SuperAntiSpyware's free version and run it after you run Malwarebytes. It is another excellent tool but if you go with the free version keep in mind you will have to update manually the definitions. Also, it will be a resident software which means it is always in the background running but like NOD32 it takes very little resources to run.
Albromor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 03:11 PM   #52
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

I just want to clarify that I did/do not have Norton installed. I just couldn't remember who worked for them.

I'll try out the Malware thing. I'm still waiting for a response from STOPzilla, but they do have a toll free number and the 30 day guarantee.

BTW,
Since I can't keep track of the heck does what anymore, will these programs tell if I have the program that does the same thing, running at the same time?
Old 03-01-2009, 03:53 PM   #53
Albromor
Mephistopheles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Variol (Farseer) Elmwood View Post
I'll try out the Malware thing. I'm still waiting for a response from STOPzilla, but they do have a toll free number and the 30 day guarantee.

BTW,
Since I can't keep track of the heck does what anymore, will these programs tell if I have the program that does the same thing, running at the same time?
Okay, I now understand on the Norton.

Here is a good simple rule for security: Router, one antivirus, one firewall, and one antispyware. This is the software that is called resident protection meaning it is always running in the background which is what you want.

If you know what you have installed and it has a good reputation you'll be fine. You have:

a. NOD32 Antivirus. It automatically updates as much as 5 times a day.

b. ZoneAlarm firewall.

c. No antispyware yet. Adaware can scan but at your discretion. That is why it won't interfer with a resident scanner because it only engages when told so.

* Therefore, with 2 of the 3 standard security measures in place plus your router you are in layered protection mode rather than just one security suit doing it all. I am a big proponent of the layered method.

* In other words, you know what you have loaded now and as long as they are updated you'll be fine. Occasionaly scan or you can set times when they do automatically.

* And as for STOPzilla, I read your other post. That is pure bunk. I hope it works out for you.

Last edited by Albromor; 03-01-2009 at 03:55 PM.
Old 03-01-2009, 03:58 PM   #54
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

malwarebytes wabts me to buy their stuff for $39.95. Is there another option? It won't clean without that.
Old 03-01-2009, 04:46 PM   #55
Albromor
Mephistopheles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Variol (Farseer) Elmwood View Post
malwarebytes wabts me to buy their stuff for $39.95. Is there another option? It won't clean without that.
Just go to SuperAntiSpyware and download and install their free version. Then click on Scan your Computer and then Perform Complete Scan. Let it run. If it doesn't find anything that is great.

If you decide to keep it you'll have a nice antispyware program on your PC -- for free. :cool: (I personally run the $ version on my main rig because there are a lot more options that I can utilize but use the free one on our second PC).
Old 03-01-2009, 06:00 PM   #56
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

Go here..
http://www.download.com/Malwarebytes...-10804572.html

This ia a supposedly free version of Malwarebyte's Anti-malware. Don't be distracted by the full version that can schedule scans and auto-update,,,just load the free version, update it manually, and run it.

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 06:19 PM   #57
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

May I ask another question?

We use "Windows Live One Care" for the spousal unit's Dell. It's straight forward, does what it needs to do, tells me what it found, ask me what I want it to do next, then executes, probably the best software I have ever encountered coming out of Redmond! Never found anything, but works good in scanning and cleaning up 'dead' file droppings.

How does it compare to all of these that have been listed?

The Dell is a bit dated, four years now, WinXP home "Dell" edition, it is multi-layered. DSL modem with software control and hardware settings, router with hardware/software controls, standard MS soft firewall, and Norton Corporate Edition (CE) for anti-v, and finally, MS Defender as malware protection.

I'm happy, she's happy, the rig is protected, and it all seems to come together quite nicely.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 08:25 PM   #58
Albromor
Mephistopheles

Felix, I would say if your experience with this Dell does everything you want it to I would say for the most part let it be. Stability is the main concern with good protection.

Next to a person's internet habits a router is the very first, best defense which you have. Norton's Corporate Edition is considerably better offering than the standard Norton offering that most people get. Just make sure it continues to update.

Two things I would definitly consider changing is...

1. The standard XP firewall is very poor. Believe it or not two of the best rated software firewalls are free. One is COMODO and many people use it but it takes some tweaking so I would say to not install unless you or someone else you knows how to configure.

The other firewall is Online Armor. I have the $ version on my main rig and the free on my second family PC plus a laptop. The $ has more options but the free has HIPS which is a great thing to have especially in a free offering.

Short for host-based intrusion prevention system, HIPS is an IPS or intrusion prevention system designed for security over host-based systems where intrusions and infections are dealt with at the individual workstation level to provide a more effective level of security.

Keep in mind, a new firewall will take time to learn your internet and downloading habits so you will receive pop-ups to ask if this what you really want to do. For some people its a pain but I say it is a very good thing because the firewall is doing what it is designed to do: Protect my computer.

If you decide to go with another firewall make sure the Windows one is disabled.

2.There are much better offerings than MS Defender though from what I understasnd it isn't bad. You've seen me mention SuperAntiSpyware (SAS). I have the $ on my main rig and I love it. It has a lot of configurable settings and for an additional $19 I get free lifetime updates. I also run the free version on my second PC and my laptop. As with anything free you get less options but SAS never fails to give the definition updates that they do with their $ version. You just have to do it manually.

* I'm sure Elfbane can lend you his expertise with some other solid options as well.

Last edited by Albromor; 03-01-2009 at 08:27 PM.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:11 AM   #59
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

I don't really have that much to offer you, Felix. Just the standard advice, here goes;

1. First off, if you are happy with the way spousal units PC is running, then let it be. I don't think Defender runs particularly well with XP, even though it was desisned for it, but it seems to be working fine for you.

2. ONE anti-virus, ONE firewall. This advice doesn't mean the router firewall, BTW. Nowadays most vendors package an anti-spyware with their AV, so you will be running an AS as well.

3. I don't have any particular advice on a firewall. There are dozens out there. I am guided somewhat in my choices because my spousal unit wants LOW NAG (preferably NO NAG) security operation. If the software nags her, she nags me. In revenge I put Vista on her machine.

4. There are other useful apps out there that do bang up jobs, and are free. You have read about them in this thread. My advice with them is to use them, but don't let them become resident. Just load them up when you need them....don't let them start up with the PC.

5. Now that you have read the advice in #4, I have an exception. I like an app called WINPatrol. It loads up with PC boot and it's job is to alert you to Registry changes. You can then allow or deny the change. Be aware that WINPatrol will do this even when you are loading a new program that requires Registry changes when it installs. Give it a try here...http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/fil...scription.html

6. As for Windows Live OneCare, I have no negative experience with it. All installations I have seen have worked fine.

I hope this helps. I'm A+ certified and a retired Navy AT1 and I've worked on computers professionally and as a hobby since '77. My strengh is the repair side though,, I'm not that strong on the ranking of apps,,,but I do like free!

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.

Last edited by ElfBane; 03-02-2009 at 06:40 AM. Reason: content and spelling
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 06:18 AM   #60
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

I downloaded Spywarefighter, which is free for 30 days. I ran for about 5 hours, found 80 problems and quarantined some, but not all of them.

I think some of the other border of false advertising. They all say "free download", but then it finds a bunch of stuff and want your money to take any action. ..kinda dirty I think. Then you gotta un-install it, 'cos it's useless on your PC.

I'll try the malware link Elfbane, but I'm doubtful..