Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2001, 01:23 AM   #51
BG2SOA

I have him equiped with a Mace of desruption + 2 in one hand and a sentinell +4 shield on the other.

------------------

Don't mess with the Lich
Old 04-06-2001, 02:25 AM   #52
Nex
Dungeon Master

I killed Minsc and ate his hamster for a midnight dungeon crawling snack.

------------------

-Nex, da Evyl Jesta
Old 04-06-2001, 02:49 AM   #53
Cayle
The Magister

IMHO- Val and Minsc are potientially more effective than Korgan or Keldorn (HA and all). Stealth means surprise and being able to prep the battlefield to your choosing. My "Hampsters and Rangers Everywhere" team (PC Stalker, Minsc and Val till he got disentegrated) always had a MUCH easier time in ch2&3 than my "Radiant Heart" (PC Cavalier, Keldorn and Ano) because of stealth.

I find Val a bit better at sneaking (later in the game, but for some reason his stealth sucks in the beginning) and Minsc a bit better at tanking. THESE GUYS ARE RANGERS! NOT TANKS! Stealth, surprise and tactics are the order of the day. Between Val and Minsc, I take Minsc because his high STR allows me to distribute the gauntlets/girdles etc. to other people.

In melé I dual Minsc with the mace of dispuption and Skullcrusher and he does kick some serious butt. I switch between dual maces and mace/bow depending on the situation (hey, in BGII you can pause and go into inventory in the middle of a fight) and do the same on Val with Katanas & Bow. I also keep two sets of armor for him; the leather you get for completing the Umar hills quest and Doomplate. I switch to doomplate if I know I am going into a serious standup fight (here he has an advantage over Val) and the leather otherwise. Korgan and Keldorn can't stealth, so the style of play is very different.

------------------
- Cayle
Old 04-06-2001, 06:05 AM   #54
IdiotRogue
Manshoon

No Minsc in my party??? That would be like the Lone Ranger without Tonto, Abbott without Costello, King Arthur without Lancelot, Rikard without Magic...

Seriously, everyone has stated valid points, both for and against Minsc. Like a few others have said, Minsc has sentimental and comic value for me. As a relative newcomer to CRPGs, one thing I noticed early on is that without exp pts, few characters are worth spit when you get to the final battle. For this reason, I have kept Minsc and Jaheira (would keep her anyway, good spell casting and above average fighter - if properly equipped), even though there may be superior fighters available later on.

Also, and this is something that makes/keeps the game challenging for me (although I sometimes find tiddley winks challenging) is the fact that I always come across a situation or fight where I say, "Darn! Wish I'd kept/picked up 'So-and-So,' he would have kicked some serious ass here."

------------------
- for cut rate prices call 976-BRIS-FOR-LESS {Next time I send some damned fool, I'll go myself...}
Old 04-06-2001, 09:18 AM   #55
Ramon de Ramon y Ramon
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by IdiotRogue:
No Minsc in my party??? That would be like the Lone Ranger without Tonto, Abbott without Costello, King Arthur without Lancelot, Rikard without Magic...

Seriously, everyone has stated valid points, both for and against Minsc. Like a few others have said, Minsc has sentimental and comic value for me. As a relative newcomer to CRPGs, one thing I noticed early on is that without exp pts, few characters are worth spit when you get to the final battle. For this reason, I have kept Minsc and Jaheira (would keep her anyway, good spell casting and above average fighter - if properly equipped), even though there may be superior fighters available later on.

Also, and this is something that makes/keeps the game challenging for me (although I sometimes find tiddley winks challenging) is the fact that I always come across a situation or fight where I say, "Darn! Wish I'd kept/picked up 'So-and-So,' he would have kicked some serious ass here."

Here, Here !

------------------
So long !

R³ - new, much improved signature under construction !

Old 04-06-2001, 10:34 AM   #56
Elite Waterdeep Guard

You hate minsc? but he is a force for the butt-kicking of evil things!! He also has a supreemly powerful migit space hamster!!! He is also my girlfriends fave char, if he goes so does she...

------------------
Of all the things I've lost i miss my mind the most...

[This message has been edited by 666 (edited 04-06-2001).]
Old 04-06-2001, 10:39 AM   #57
Sir_Tainly

Quote:
Originally posted by Nex:
I and ate his hamster for a midnight dungeon crawling snack.

LOL.

And you were trying to convince us you weren't a hick!!

------------------

Holy Avenger of the OHF

HATS for sale baby!
Sponsored by Yorick
Your ad here? Call 112 -221 -123

Old 04-07-2001, 03:37 PM   #58
Gd_00
Dungeon Master

i have Minsc in my party 'cus he's funny, but that doesnt mean that he isn't a good fighter(although i use him like an archer (Heartseaker) or I give him a Lylacord, these two together can realy entertain you).
I dont use Korgan because Im a big bad dworf-fighter(45% of all exp or kills)with CF(or dwarwen thrower - very good hammer, next to CF)
And if you arent a paladin i suggest u have one (Ann. or Keld.) , HA is ass kicking weapon, combined with girdle of imbljff(i dont reamember the name - 50%mag. res)u have !!!!100% mag. res!!!!. I havent tried Val.
Old 04-07-2001, 04:40 PM   #59
Stiklestad
Dungeon Master

even his jokes irritates me.....
Old 04-07-2001, 04:44 PM   #60
Stiklestad
Dungeon Master

... and BOO only serves to fill an UTIL slot on quick-item part