Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2003, 08:28 PM   #1
Hyperion
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I am very confused I keep picking up magic spells, so they are in my clerics inventory, how do you get it into that list? How do they use them? I tried to figure it out from that little book that comes with the game to no avail. Please be patient with me....I have tried to right click on it and left click on it and all that does is pick it up. Thanks again for your help!
Old 10-14-2003, 11:37 PM   #2
javan
Zhentarim Guard

If I understand your question, you wish to add a spell from a scroll to your cleric's list of spells... sorry it does not work that way for clerics. Clerics get a set list of spells. You cannot add to that list like wizards can with scrolls.
Old 10-15-2003, 03:35 AM   #3
Tancred
White Dragon

In the bottom right corner of the screen are 6 buttons, arranged in an elliptical circle. One of them opens up your characters' spellbooks. From that screen you can select which spells each character should prepare so that after they rest, they can use them. Resting is important, because it allows Clerics to pray for spells and Wizards to re-memorise their spells. Either way, the spells chosen from that list can't be used automatically.

From there, a spellusing character should have a spellcasting button on their list of icons; it looks like a moon and three stars. If a character has any spells ready, you can get to them by left-clicking this button.

[ 10-15-2003, 03:39 AM: Message edited by: Tancred ]
Old 10-17-2003, 10:18 AM   #4
Hyperion
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Okay so I think I get it I thought that you could use the ones that you pick up along the travels, I even bought the command one from elythra....So I get to go sell them now for some cash? That is alright Thanks so much for your help! HEre I was thinking I was having some awesome spells....DUH!
Old 10-18-2003, 08:41 AM   #5
motub
The Magister

Ummm... some of the scrolls you pick up on the way may be useable by your cleric, or other party members (paladin, bard, druid)-- you should right-click on them in your inventory, and read the text to see who can use the spell. If a paladin can use it, for example, you can't put it in the pally's "spell book" (as they don't have one), but you could put it in a Quick Item slot and the Paladin could cast it at need (if the pally was of sufficient level).

But the best thing to do with Wizard spells is to put them in the Wizard's spell book. If you have a wizard, put the scroll in the Wizard's inventory, right-click on it, and you should see a "Write Magic" button. Save before you click this button!!!. Once you've saved, try to Write Magic. If you succeed, the spell will be in your spell book, ready to be memorized when you have enough experience to cast spells of that level. If you fail, the scroll is lost, which is why you saved first-- so you could reload and try again until you do succeed in getting the spell written to your book. Since Wizards learn spells only from scrolls, you really want any spells you find written to your book as soon as possible, since you might not be able to learn Fireball when you actually get sufficient levels to cast it (because you're in a dungeon, and no store carrying the spell is available). If you already have it in your spellbook, you can just memorize it at your next rest. In fact, early in the game, it's not a bad idea to spend as much as you can spare on any 1st and 2nd level spells that you think will be useful for your wizard, and put them into your spell book (save before writing the magic, save after each successful write), because by the time your Wizard gets the ability to use the spells, you will be far from anyplace where you can buy them.....

Hope this helps.
motub is offline   Reply With Quote