Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2004, 12:01 PM   #111
aleph_null1
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
People will no longer buy them in a regular store, but from John Doe on the streetcorner.
Or start ordering them from Russia like all my friends & I do. Talk about taking business away from a nation ...
Old 11-30-2004, 12:39 PM   #112
Ilander
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Stormymystic:
while we are banning unhealthy things that are being "forced" upon others, why not ban perfumes and coloagnes? it make me have truble breating when I walk into anyplace and am overwhelmed by all the different fragrances around. oh and the use of cell phones in public places, it is so annyong to try and talk to someone while you are hearing phones ringing everywhere...oh and while we are at it....
About the cell phones...

Make sure you name the organization:
Citizens
Raging
Against
Phones
[img]graemlins/laugh3.gif[/img]

Oh, and on the subject of tobacco and the economy...yeah, so it sucks in general stateside. It used to be the life-blood of many regions, especially Eastern Kentucky...but it is no longer, and has left no *legal* cash crop for small farmers to grow...

[ 11-30-2004, 12:42 PM: Message edited by: Ilander ]

Is that what you really want to say?
Old 11-30-2004, 12:43 PM   #113
krunchyfrogg
Red Dragon

Here in the state of New York, smoking is banned in all bars and restaurants. Has business slipped? Not at all.

BTW, just to go on a little rant: As an interventional radiologic technologist, I can tell you that lung cancer is the least of a smokers worries. Most of the time, your arteries are shot before your lungs go, and problems can range from a limited range of motion (usually legs), to some pain, to actually needing to have bypass surgery (and in extreme cases) amputation. Please don't smoke.
Old 11-30-2004, 03:49 PM   #114
Dron_Cah
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Defend Your Castle Champion Frogger Champion Monkey Diving Champion Summer Games Champion Donkey Kong Champion
Moon Lander Champion Space Invaders Champion
Hehe, Lyle, my playlist brought up "Stab" while I was reading your post. Talk about a freaky coincidence! Anyways, I know what krunchyfrogg is talking about, my surrogate grandfather had 5 bypasses heart surgery a few months ago. And, yes, it was directly related to smoking. So again, I'm not looking to force anyone, but please don't smoke. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-30-2004, 04:02 PM   #115
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
an uncle of mine, who never smoked one cigarette in his entire life, also had a bypass operation not too long ago, so drop it already.

If i quit, i quit because i want to, not because people keep whining about it.
Old 11-30-2004, 04:55 PM   #116
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Quote:
while we are banning unhealthy things that are being "forced" upon others, why not ban perfumes and coloagnes? it make me have truble breating when I walk into anyplace and am overwhelmed by all the different fragrances around. oh and the use of cell phones in public places, it is so annyong to try and talk to someone while you are hearing phones ringing everywhere...oh and while we are at it....
As has been said before in this thread, the reason the governments are considering the bans is to do with working conditions. How much better so many others' lives will be is just a bonus on the side. I agree with you on the issue of heavy perfumes. My reaction to them has ranged in the past from sneazing to choking, and once to almost passing out. As such, I do feel that performs can be as detrimental to working conditions as smoking, and so a ban should be considered on at least the extremely strong ones. But smoking is more wide-spread, and detrimental to more people, so it is the issue of the moment. Also, unfortunately, as far as I know there is no proven link between perfumes and health problems... but, we can only hope.
On the issue of phones, they have almost nothing at all to do with working conditions. Ok, sure, when a customer's phone rings, it might be annoying, but it doesn't have any direct effect on your health. Sure, it can cause brain cancer for the person using it, but that is unrelated to your health. And so the issue of phones becomes one more of politeness than necessity, which means that a ban on it would truly be rights lost unfairly.
Old 11-30-2004, 05:00 PM   #117
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Actually, research showed us that those perfumes to freshen up your livingroom and bathroom can cause cancer. I'm too lazy right now to search for a link, but it was on TV here last week. And so the list grows larger and larger.
Old 11-30-2004, 05:17 PM   #118
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

Quote:
Originally posted by LennonCook:
quote:
As has been said before in this thread, the reason the governments are considering the bans is to do with working conditions. How much better so many others' lives will be is just a bonus on the side. I agree with you on the issue of heavy perfumes. My reaction to them has ranged in the past from sneazing to choking, and once to almost passing out. As such, I do feel that performs can be as detrimental to working conditions as smoking, and so a ban should be considered on at least the extremely strong ones. But smoking is more wide-spread, and detrimental to more people, so it is the issue of the moment. Also, unfortunately, as far as I know there is no proven link between perfumes and health problems... but, we can only hope.
On the issue of phones, they have almost nothing at all to do with working conditions. Ok, sure, when a customer's phone rings, it might be annoying, but it doesn't have any direct effect on your health. Sure, it can cause brain cancer for the person using it, but that is unrelated to your health. And so the issue of phones becomes one more of politeness than necessity, which means that a ban on it would truly be rights lost unfairly.
[/QUOTE]actually, there is a specific ban on cell phones in a few states here, about using a cell phone while driving, it is fastly becomeing the number one killer in automobile accidents. my brother not to long ago was driving, and I called him on his cellphone, and he dropped it, and instead of waiting he looked down and tried to find it...yep he wrecked into a ditch. you are supposed to use a hand free device but no one does.
Old 11-30-2004, 05:25 PM   #119
Dron_Cah
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Defend Your Castle Champion Frogger Champion Monkey Diving Champion Summer Games Champion Donkey Kong Champion
Moon Lander Champion Space Invaders Champion
Not whining, Johnny, just asking. Maybe if it's said enough, it will sink in. if not, maybe I'll annoy the piss out of those around me, until they quit, or never smoke around me. Whatever the case it serves my purposes. [img]tongue.gif[/img] Actually, smoke doesn't bother me very much, so I couldn't give much of a care. I have more important things to worry about anyways.
Old 11-30-2004, 05:34 PM   #120
wellard
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by krunchyfrogg:
Here in the state of New York, smoking is banned in all bars and restaurants. Has business slipped? Not at all.
The same success has been achieved down here too Krunchyfrogg. And after a few months everyone accepts it as normal just like not smoking on a plane. It really is no big deal apart from the people with asthma or other breathing difficulties who can now venture out with an easy mind.

Let me make myself clear please. I am totally against a smoking ban. It is useless (as is the ban on hard drugs) I would vote and march/ demonstrate against such a move. I'm more than happy for people to still smoke. I am just showing my support for the banning of smoking in public covered / inside buildings. And to point out the fact whatever you’re view, that these laws will be coming in around the western world.

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years