Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2003, 04:30 PM   #1
the great glockorando
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I'm wrapping up BG ToB and I'm already thinking
about what char I want for NWN....
I've read all the related posts...but my goal is the dynamic duo, a powerful wizard and a fighter. I know you can pick up a henchmen, but do they stay with you the whole game and pick up XP?
I love wizards, but I don't want to get my behind kicked
constantly starting off. Can you get a good henchmen fighter early?
(like than tiger guy). Or should I be an elf wizard but start off as a ranger or figher and switch?
just looking for some help before I create my charachter
in order accomplish my goal...the role of henchmen is a little
unclear to me after reading the book and playing the BG series...

the debate is really to be a human fighter or an elvish wizard.

thanks for your help!
the great glockorando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 04:44 PM   #2
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Your henchman will stay with you as long as you need them. (They will die occasionally but you can easily retrieve them ). I played a wizard and I used the monk henchman. He was very effective. All henchmen are available straight off. I also had a pixie companion, though with both of them they sucked up more xp. If you don't try to do too much too soon, and (in the single player campaign), follow the suggested order of doing stuff you shouldn't find it too difficult with a wizard. I also played a ranger in another game, was also successful. Actually I found that a little more satisfying because with my wizard, I found my henchman would sometimes finish off all the enemies before I had a chance to do spells and such

Hope that helps [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-27-2003, 04:51 PM   #3
Wulfere
Red Wizard of Thay

You can pick up any class henchman you feel you need. The half orc barbarian Red Tiger can be hired at the trade of blades right after you complete your training. You can change henchmen at any time as long as you pay them. They level up as you do. But, you can't control them beyond setting up their defaults. Like using a melee weapon or ranged weapon. The distance they stay away from you and whether or not they should help you open doors and locks. You can also not access their inventories.

There are haks that you can download and other things that will allow you to have multiple henchmen or to access and control their inventories etc...

Human or Elf is a matter of choice. Elves get their special abilities and Humans get a bonus feat and more skill points.
Wulfere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 05:41 PM   #4
the great glockorando
Elite Waterdeep Guard

great input, thanks guys.
I think I'll go the wizard route...as I imagine a good
fighter henchman would be easier to find. speaking of which,
who do you like best? (I like 2 weapon style)
Old 01-27-2003, 05:44 PM   #5
the great glockorando
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Old 01-27-2003, 06:33 PM   #6
Wulfere
Red Wizard of Thay

Since I am a warrior type guy I don't really know how good they are. I usually take Linu the Elven Cleric, whos' story is a hoot, or Tomi the halfling thief. Who is also very funny. Each henchman has their own story you help them with along the way.

Red Tiger uses a double bladed axe. That I know.
Wulfere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 07:41 AM   #7
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Quote:
Originally posted by the great glockorando:
Problem is that there is no pure fighter as a henchmen to choose.
None dual wields, Red Tiger has a double axe and he uses it well

For a good companion though, Linu is great since you battle alot of undead in the game and she can heal you from most things later on.

The lil' monk is pretty cool too! A great choice in the beginning since he takes care of alot.

Tomi is not gunny (IMO) but annoying. But good to have with you when you enter trapped homes/lairs and big chests..

Red tiger is a barbarian and good with many ooponants. He is pretty good at this until the first will saves arises.. :S

The bard is actually pretty cool, but first after some levels because she brakes in two at the first sight of combat in the beginning, but now (my character currently lvl 9) she does alot of useful stuff. She can buff you up really really quick and well in no time! Problem is that after that buff up, she has no more resources until rested..

The gnome sorcerer, I have only used a few times, and everytime he has ended up dead after a fight so I have not bothered much with him..

Don´t eat the yellow snow
WOLFGIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 09:17 AM   #8
homer
Manshoon

It is my opinion that the computer dose a poor job of controlling the henchmen, therefore I do not use them.

I have tried a wizard/Sorcerer and found them a little difficult to play until they get more powerful. This dose not take to long in the original campaign. I recommend choosing a lot of summoning spells; I found this a decent replacement for henchmen. Most summoned creatures will stay with the character for a long period of time.