Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2003, 12:13 PM   #1
quietman1920

Blinded by a....Frog????

http://www.dentonrc.com/localnews/st....ffe73119.html

Teen seriously wounded in potato gun incident
04/15/2003

By Donna Fielder / Staff Writer

A Denton teen is in critical condition after being shot in the face with a frog exploding from a potato gun, and his mother wants to know why the illegal weapons are available on the Internet.

Daniel Benjamin Berry, 17, was taken to John Peter Smith Hospital in Fort Worth early Sunday after he looked down the PVC pipe barrel and was struck in the face by a frog.

"He is going to be blind in both eyes," said his mother, Lisa Berry, from her vigil in the critical care waiting room. "Some other kid ordered one [potato gun] over the Internet. They thought it was a toy. It’s not a toy. It’s a dangerous weapon."

The accident occurred about 1 a.m. near the Old Alton Bridge in the Copper Canyon area. Denton County Sheriff’s spokesman Kevin Patton said three teens took the homemade mechanism, which is considered an illegal weapon, to the bridge along with a supply of potatoes to fire for recreation.

"At some point, someone decided to fire frogs from the gun," Mr. Patton said. "And at some point, the gun misfired."

A crowd of teens had gathered to watch, the sheriff’s spokesman said.

"Mr. Berry was a spectator. He walked over to try to help with the misfire. He looked down the barrel and the gun fired on a delayed reaction. The frog struck him in the face."

He was taken by private vehicle to a hospital emergency room and later transferred to the Fort Worth hospital by Careflite helicopter, Mr. Patton said.

His mother said Daniel, who has broken and fractured bones in his face and will require surgery, told her he didn’t believe there really was a frog in the gun and looked to try to see it.

"He said it just went off. It was a misfire. It hit him square in the face," she said.

A potato gun is usually made with a PVC pipe with one end sealed, he said. A potato or other object is wedged down the open end. Some sort of propellant, in this case hair spray, is sprayed into a sealed chamber and ignited with a spark that can come from a striker or a wire attached to a battery. This one was sophisticated and fired at the push of a button, Ms. Berry said.

Mr. Patton said no charges would be filed.

"This is the first incident involving a potato gun that we have had to deal with," Mr. Patton said. "We had six teenagers in possession of a potato gun and one of them was critically injured. What are you going to do? This was an accident."
Old 04-22-2003, 12:14 PM   #2
quietman1920

C'mon people. This is serious. When will people learn the dangers of shooting frogs out of a potato gun? These are Deadly Weapons don't you know...

I mean, can't you picture it?

SCENE: INTERIOR, OPERATING ROOM, JOHN PETER SMITH HOSPITAL, FORT WORTH TX.

A team of surgeons surrounds an unconcious teenager on the main operating table. The teenager is on a saline drip and has a blood soaked tangle of flesh left as a face. The Head Surgeon carefully probes the woound, gingerly peeling back the lacerated scalp, and stares with astonishment into the open cavity.

"Turn That Music Off...Now!" the sugeon snaps, as a low sound appears to emmanate from the patient. No, not from the patient...from INSIDE the patient...
Old 04-22-2003, 12:17 PM   #3
quietman1920

Hello, my baby
Hello, my honey
Hello, my ragtime gal

Send me a kiss by wire
Baby, my hearts on fire

If you refuse me
Honey, you'll lose me
Then you'll be left alone

Oh baby, telephone
And tell me I'm your owwwwwwwwwwnnnnnnnn!
Old 04-22-2003, 12:32 PM   #4
quietman1920

PS- Ziroc, would it be possible to play this snippet on the air by request? Just for a goof. Tell you what...click the link below and if it doesn't make you smile, forget I said anything.

http://members.iinet.net.au/~cybacol...s/mjfrog02.wav
Old 04-22-2003, 01:15 PM   #5
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by quietman1920:

Hello, my baby
Hello, my honey...
ROTFLMAO!!!

now THERE'S someone who deserves the award!