Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2009, 02:03 PM   #1
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Default Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

This actually looks really good. Back when it first started, the movies were very much kids movies. An adult could watch them, but they really were aimed mainly at a younger crowd and you had to pull out your inner-child to enjoy it. Now though, with each installment, it seems they are becoming darker and darker. And the characters age so the subject matter does also. This new one looks awesome. I may actually go to the theatres to watch it. Yes, I said it, I may actually travel to the big screen to see Harry Potter . Hey, I went to see Transformers and was horribly dissapointed so this can only be better.

Last edited by SpiritWarrior; 07-14-2009 at 02:05 PM.
SpiritWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 05:29 AM   #2
Target
Red Dragon

Default Re: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

The book was really good, (the Goblet of fire was still the best book upto and including the H-B Prince). So i'm sure the film will be good as well, with another huge big twist at the end!!

If you can keep your head when all around are loosing theirs...you probably haven’t grasped the situation!!
Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 06:34 PM   #3
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I went last night to the 12:30am showing. The 12:00 had sold out and there were so many requesting the 12:30 that they opened new rooms just to handle the crowd. I had my ticket through Fandango, so I was good to go. I got home at 4am but was so pumped from the movie I could not sleep the two hours left before getting up at 6am for work. I have literally survived this entire day on no sleep the night before.

Without making spoilers, there were things different in this movie than in the book. For example...this was a PG instead of PG-13 because they cut some fight scenes out (one important one) and focused a lot on the romance of the teenagers and also had a good mix of comedy infused. Yes, there were some dark, serious moments...and I was well entertained through-out.

I must mention, the types of people that go to a movie that late are there to see the movie for real and not be jerks who try to show off with stupidity during the film. When the movie got quiet...so did every person in there, holding their breath so as to not interrupt the moment. I love midnight showings.

I think the actors in the movie did exceptionally well this time around and put so much emotion into their characters.

One other thing to note...this movie does not explain anything in backstory and many times will jump from one scene to the next with the expectation that you already should know what transpired between scenes. It is a bit frustrating at times when I caught myself asking how we're supposed to assume that this is where the characters are at without giving us an onscreen explanation...we're just supposed to guess or let it go or remember from the book...whatever. There was some of that going on, but I cannot complain too much since the movie was 2.5 hrs. They just did not have the time to get in everything.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:45 PM   #4
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Now, I assume overall you liked it? I haven't seen it yet.
Old 07-16-2009, 05:03 AM   #5
Wolf Rider2
Elminster

The trailers looked fantastic, and the movies have definitely got better as they go along. I wasn't a huge fan of the fourth movie, though. I thought they stuffed up the Hungarian Horntail a bit. There was also quite a lot cut out of that movie, but oh well. Seeing this one Friday. I don't go to midnight screenings but I will not hesitate to pelt peanut m&m's at people who talk during the movie
Wolf Rider2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 01:52 PM   #6
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

I was just going to start a new thread asking if people are getting horny for Harry.. Potter.. um movies!

I thought all of them were excellent so far.

I watched a documentary on JK Rowling just yesterday. She's a very interesting, down-to-Earth women.
Old 07-19-2009, 01:29 PM   #7
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Saw it last night, absolutely loved it. It's a long flick so be prepared. But yeah, probably the best one yet imo. Special effects were great, story was great. Yes, it's a bit complicated for the newcomer as there are quite a few references to what has gone before, people's names, events etc. but any fan of the movies will not have a problem understanding it. What some forget is that this is one of many sequels (like, number 6?) and we're deep into the Potter story now, so you can't really get around backstories and links to the past. But yeah, as far as HP movies go this one is a keeper.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:53 PM   #8
Sparhawk
Quintesson

Definatly a fine movie - but as Larry pointed out the movies seems to lack the thin red line guiding the audience through the movie - instead it seems to jump from scene to scene without any kind of connection. Readers of the books are at an advantage then - as they will not be as confused.

In regards to the movie itself - this is the best played by Emma, Daniel and Rupert - and even Tom Felton as Malfoy delivers really good acting this time around. ( I still get annoyed with the fake stutter of Harry in the very first Potter movie ) but alas he has indeed moved and aged with a certain finesse.

Mood - oh my yes more darkness and more evilness...but where the F#%# was Voldie in this movie...

Last but not least - this has been said to simply be a build up for the last two movies since they are appearantly supposed to be INSANELY actionpacked - lets see if rumors are true then.
"Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the rise of the sons of Arius. There was an age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world. Hither came Conan, the cimmarian, sword in hand. It is I, his chronicler who knows well his saga. Now let me tell you of the days of high adventure!"

"Unleash the Casey!"

"Make no mistake, should you choose to test my resolve in this matter, you will be looking at an outcome that will have a finality, that is beyound your comprehension. And you will not counting the days or the months or the years, but milleniums in a place with no doors!"
Sparhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 03:05 PM   #9
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

So there's two more? Thought there was just one. That's good. I am now more of a fan after seeing this movie. I hated the first one, personally - so cliche but like a fine wine, it's gotten so much better with age. Few movie franchises make it past their third installment. This thing has thrived since. And it's broken records apparently, and lauded as the best HP movie yet.
Old 07-21-2009, 05:47 AM   #10
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

Yes, two more. Apparently "Deathly Hallows" is going to split into 2 flicks.

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote