Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2001, 01:44 AM   #1
hiredgun1
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I understand you can start with a Kensai (and get all the bonuses) dual to a thief and then when thief gets special skill (use any item) the kensai keeps bonuses and can now use armor, ranged weapons, etc. Do you think this is a cheese tactic or legitimate. If legit, when should you dual kensai to thief?
hiredgun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2001, 01:51 AM   #2
Gwayne
Zhentarim Guard

I'm not to familiar with dualing characters,but I dont think it's cheesey
you just have a change of professions
Gwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2001, 02:19 PM   #3
hazard
Dungeon Master

I think its cheese. The kensai class was not intended to wear armour. You can do this even without the 'Use Any Item' ability, which is just ultra cheese. That is just my opinion though. It is written into the game so technically its a legitimate part of it.
hazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2001, 03:13 PM   #4
Northraven
Manshoon

This makes a powerful character yes, but not invincible and not perfect at everything...if you dual to a thief from a Kensai you no longer get quite the THACO that a pure fighter continuing to advance in lvls would plus you still need to find a competent spell slinger to tag along with you...all-in-all a mighty combination though. I would say best time to dual to thief is around lvls 9-12, depending on personal taste.

[This message has been edited by Northraven (edited 07-14-2001).]
Northraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2001, 05:38 PM   #5
ScottG
Drow Warrior

Hazzard.

How can a Kensai/thief wear armor, even w/out the use any item ability?

IMO it makes a bit more logic to go pure fighter and dual to a subclass theif (which can be done by using shadowkeeper - while only a fighter set the subclass to the one you want, when you change to a thief you will be setup w/ your subclass).
ScottG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2001, 03:13 PM   #6
TheDutkanator

NOT CHEESE!! You are completely changing your profession as mentioned earlier. You just retain the knowledge and former exp. of the Kensai. So, Hazard, you think that if a Mage dualled to a Fighter that he should not be able to use swords or wear helmets? If you answer "no" to that, then you should re-evaluate your former statement.

------------------

Let's get'em guen!

Quote:
"I'm sorry, did I kill you?" -TheDutkanator

[This message has been edited by TheDutkanator (edited 07-15-2001).]
TheDutkanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2001, 06:20 PM   #7
ScottG
Drow Warrior

Mage class doesn't really follow the same limitations. (Though it should have - see below.)

Clerics - are not allowed to use edged wepons at all.
Druids - also have many limitations.
(These are however ethos limitations.)

However:

All of the learning accumulated while a Kensai was without the use of armor. It simply isn't logical to say that specific abilities earned in another class will automatically be applicable in this class. (If you learned to wield a sword w/ out armor you will not wield it w/ anywhere near the degree of skill with armor on.) Logically (if the programers had included it) it would be OK (since it is skill related and not ethos) to say that the Kensai/Thief could where armor but that when they do all of the skills and bonuses of the Kensai would become inactive (similar to a Mage/Thief where you can't cast spells while armored).

I would think it was OK if the armor you were wearing was magic and acted as if there was no armor on the wearer (but bladesinger armor doesn't even have this property) - however w/ this line of reasoning it doesn't make sense that a Kensai can't wear bracers (unless those bracers are so physically obtrusive that they hinder movement - which is doubtfull w/ the magic bracers).
ScottG is offline   Reply With Quote