Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2002, 12:53 PM   #11
Elif Godson
Dracolich

LOL, talk about keeping it to the basic's hehehe
Y'all are just to dern smart
Old 11-26-2002, 10:36 PM   #12
Peytin of Rothmire
Manshoon

I have to agree with Elif. Pick whichever one is sharper!

"Hey dwarf, get over here. You really don't need all ten of those fingers to hold that sword, do you?"

Don't fret over it too much basejump. When you figure in all of the extra bonuses many weapons provide, it no longer becomes an issue. Some will provide you with an AC increase or fire/cold res that may become valuable depending on where you are in the game, not to mention stuns and the ability to cast certain spells. Pick the ones you like and have fun.
Peytin of Rothmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 07:34 AM   #13
andrewas
Harper

Have to agree with the last two posters. While it may be fun to calculate the exact benefits of 2d4 versus 1d8 (2d4 wins OK, it has a tighter distribution and is therefore more reliable), but the effect in combat is small enough that you wont notice it.

The best weapons are those with extra effects. Pure damage is a secondary consideration.
Old 11-27-2002, 07:45 PM   #14
Lord Brass
Emerald Dragon

The numbers are only really relevant for games where there exists little potential to accrue magical variations on weapons really. After all, as Peytin and andrewas state, you won't notice the "dice" in the end, so much as the plus bonus and secondary effects. [img]smile.gif[/img] IWD allows the party to obtain more mundane magic items early in the game. Think how you might struggle to do the same with all your fighters in BG.
Old 11-29-2002, 04:13 AM   #15
basejump77
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I just wanted to write and thank everybody for their input. I of course am not a math magical genius so alot of Pritchke and Seraph had to say was a little over my head I still apreciate the help. I agree that it really shouldn't matter to much it is the bonuses that a weapon comes with that truly makes it a pick or choose game, LOL its just hard sometimes wondering "Do I keep this one or this one?" Thanks for the help Guys!
basejump77 is offline   Reply With Quote