Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2004, 05:27 PM   #1
Animal
Gold Dragon

Why is the world so obssessed with what is occuring in the lives of celebrities? I don't understand it.

Magazines like Star and Enquirer are in the top 5 for sales, so what gives...?

Who cares what happens to J-Lo, or how much weight Oprah has gained and lost this week? Do I care that a child star from the '80s just got busted for DUI? NO, I don't. So why does the rest of the world?

What difference does it make how many divorces celebrity X had? Joe Blow down the street has had the same amount, but you don't see him on the cover of a national rag?

C'mon people give your heads a shake? Why do we care what these people do?
Old 06-11-2004, 05:49 PM   #2
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
I don't, so i share your feelings.
Old 06-11-2004, 05:53 PM   #3
Mack_Attack
Osiris - Egyptian God of the Underworld

Just all forms Of entertaiment. I have to admit it can be a little much at times. But do not forget alot of celebs put them self in the media to promote things. And there personal life is kinda of a trade off for this.

And if you do not like it no one forces you to watch this. Life is full of choices.
Old 06-11-2004, 06:03 PM   #4
Animal
Gold Dragon

But why is there personal life a trade-off? Only reason there personal life is in the rags is because the average citizen loves it.

My question is why? Why do we care what happens to them. Maybe some people are so unhappy with their own lives, that they fixate on these people. Maybe they wish they could be celebrities and live the "glamourous" life.

Instead of fixating on celebrities why not obsess with the neighbors? What's the difference?

And yes, we are forced to watch and listen to this drivel. Every time you turn on the news, or listen to the radio you hear it. Turn the station and...Oh, guess what? There it is again!

99% of all these celebrities are in these rags just for publicity. Society as a whole is just dumb enough to keep falling for it over and over again.

Every week these rags hit the newstands and people flock to them like a starving pool of piranha's. People want to be like them, so they can live the life of luxury, drive Ferrari's, take a personal jet to some exotic island for weekend. Little does the public know, that buy buying that rag, they just paid for that Ferrari and that exotic trip.

Okay, I'm feeling much better know. [img]graemlins/rant.gif[/img]
Old 06-11-2004, 06:11 PM   #5
Animal
Gold Dragon

Alright, I lied..I'm not feeling better?

And wtf is with all these reality shows that are popping up like weeds? Has the world degraded that much, that we find 20 men/women acting like complete moron's to win some form of money, entertaining?

And how the he$$ do you expect to find love in a 1hr TV series for 8weeks that takes place in the most unrealistic life situations ever? Don't even get me started on Survivor, or Fear Factor.

There was a TV show on the other night, that showed the worst auditions for American Idol. How is that entertaining? These people were just humiliated in front of millions of people, and we wonder why people walk into public places with machine guns and mow down everyone they can see.

The world has hit a new, and very disgusting, low.

Okay, this time I mean it...I'm done. [img]graemlins/rant.gif[/img]

[ 06-11-2004, 06:14 PM: Message edited by: Animal ]
Old 06-11-2004, 07:01 PM   #6
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Somebody woke up on the wrong side of the bed today LOL [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

Reality Show Recaps
Old 06-11-2004, 07:05 PM   #7
mad=dog

It's because the western world has become decadent. We are repeating ourselves endlessly and the occational new idea gets repeated over and over until it is as thin as a French wafer.
1400 - Cloth: Something you make so you don't freeze.
1400 - Food: Something you daily struggle to get so you don't starve and die.
2000 - Cloth: Something you buy for no apparent reason other than it somehow makes you feel good.
2000 - Food: Something that makes you fat.
We lost focus. Our lives are meaningless and we live through other people. Someone made a book about shopoholics. That must be a really cool seller. The book could be empty for all it matters - shopoholics will buy just because it's a way cool thing.
We need a recession so badly. Just to stir people up a bit.
Old 06-11-2004, 07:15 PM   #8
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Animal, go rent a good x-rated movie, it will take your mind off things.
Old 06-11-2004, 07:20 PM   #9
Animal
Gold Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
Animal, go rent a good x-rated movie, it will take your mind off things.
X-rated? Nah, only the xxx-rated is any good. But I only watch it for the storyline, yeah...that's it the storyline. [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

And LadyZ, it wasn't the wrong side of the bed I got up on. It was the wrong side of the world!

[ 06-11-2004, 07:21 PM: Message edited by: Animal ]
Old 06-11-2004, 07:22 PM   #10
Nanobyte
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

But reality TV is real. To about the 2.5 million drones that find themselves scheduling their days around them.

I bet if people spent less time watching dumb shows, there'd be less of them.