Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2002, 09:51 AM   #1
Donut
Jack Burton

I hope this is a wind up because I can see this guy being president.

XXXXX DRUDGE REPORT XXXXX FRIDAY SEPT 20, 2002 08:51:37 ET XXXXX

WHITE HOUSE GAME SHOW: MURDOCH NET PLANS 'AMERICAN CANDIDATE'; WINNER TO RUN FOR PRESIDENT '04

Move over American Idol. Here comes American President:

A Rupert Murdoch game show that may choose the outcome of the next White House occupant!

Cable channel FX is set to mount an ambitious two-year endeavor that will culminate in the American public choosing -- a "people's candidate" to run for president of the United States in 2004!

MORE

100 candidates will start the series.

During subsequent episodes, candidates will square off in numerous competitions, like debates.

The number of semifinalists will be whittled down each week, based on live audience response and telephone/Internet voting.

Each episode will originate from all-American locales such as Mount Rushmore or the Statue of Liberty.

But the final episode of the series will be an "American Candidate" convention, held live on the National Mall in Washington around July 4, 2004!

Viewers will determine the winning candidate from among three finalists.

The series will be seeking "the Jesse Venturas of the world, finding messages people want to hear," added Kevin Reilly, FX's president of entertainment. "Hopefully, we'll find some very qualified civil servant who lacks a power base and maybe also a plumber from Detroit who (tells) it like it is."

"It's like a cross between 'The War Room' and 'American Idol,"' producer RJ Cutler tells this weekend's Daily Variety.

"We will be making available to every American who is qualified, by virtue of the Constitution, the opportunity to run for president."

Just as "American Idol" went searching for undiscovered musical talent, Cutler said "American Candidate" will be on the hunt for untapped political and leadership skill.

Developing...
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 09-20-2002, 10:21 AM   #2
Nachtrafe
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by Donut:
"We will be making available to every American who is qualified, by virtue of the Constitution, the opportunity to run for president."

Just as "American Idol" went searching for undiscovered musical talent, Cutler said "American Candidate" will be on the hunt for untapped political and leadership skill.
Erm...correct me if I'm wrong, but American's dont need some assinine reality show to run for President. ANY American who has the appropriate qualifications as stated in the Constitution can run for President:

"No person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President; neither shall any Person be eligible to that Office who shall not have attained to the Age of thirty-five Years, and been fourteen Years a Resident within the United States."

Apparently these idiot producers have never heard of 'Grass Roots' presidencies or write ins. SHEESH!

In an age of supreme TV stupidity, It seems that we have finally reached the terminal stage.

[ 09-20-2002, 10:29 AM: Message edited by: Nachtrafe ]

"May the wings of liberty never lose a feather!"
Old 09-20-2002, 10:25 AM   #3
Nachtrafe
Red Wizard of Thay

Hmmmmm...one is forced to wonder. If this show airs within 60 days of the actual election, does it fall under the auspicies of the (unConstitutional!!) campaign finance reform bill? If so, the 'Candidate' could be up for felony charges and a hefty fine. So could all of these TV twits. Hmmmmm...

[ 09-20-2002, 10:28 AM: Message edited by: Nachtrafe ]
Old 09-20-2002, 11:00 AM   #4
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

I think this idea is sweet because it sort of lets the whole world pick their cannidate! Im hoping there will be a cannidate for the Otaku Party!
Old 09-20-2002, 11:05 AM   #5
Nachtrafe
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by /)eathKiller:
I think this idea is sweet because it sort of lets the whole world pick their cannidate! Im hoping there will be a cannidate for the Otaku Party!
I doubt it. I would imagine that there will be a locale requirement for those doing Internet/telephone voting. No offense, but it would be kind of stupid for non-Americans to have a say so in picking an American president.

Old 09-20-2002, 11:20 AM   #6
Jorath Calar
Harper

Well you know, they say in America anybody can become the president... and they mean any BODY... a dead body... a body of water.
Old 09-20-2002, 11:21 AM   #7
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Nachtrafe:
Erm...correct me if I'm wrong, but American's dont need some assinine reality show to run for President. ANY American who has the appropriate qualifications as stated in the Constitution can run for President:

Apparently these idiot producers have never heard of 'Grass Roots' presidencies or write ins. SHEESH!
You're forgetting one indisputable fact, Nachtrafe.

In this day and age, the "appropriate qualifications" include several million dollars to spend on advertising.....something that is not available for the average "grass roots" candidate.

I presume this is one of the advantage FOX-TV will offer to the chosen candidate. It will certainly gain them more publicity than they could get on their own.
Old 09-20-2002, 11:25 AM   #8
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

I'll note the Constitution states the minimum qualifications for running for President. It is more a list of who cannot run than it is a list of who can run. Of course, it simply isn't practical to run if you lack one of the following qualifications:
(1) Money (Make NO mistake - dollars get at least as many votes as citizens get)
(2) Pedigree of some sort
(3) Power Base / Political Connections
(4) At least some fame

Sorry, but I like this thing. The winner of this show won't win a presidency, but at least a (possibly) commoner will have the first chance to even participate in an election in years. I won't be interested to watch it I don't think - nor would I vote for such a candidate. But, I'm more in agreement with this kind of reality TV show than others.

Why do so many people hate reality TV anyway? We like to watch other people - it's inherent. Why does it matter whether those people are real and competing or highly paid actors playing fictional roles?
Old 09-20-2002, 11:38 AM   #9
Nachtrafe
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by Jorath Calar:
Well you know, they say in America anybody can become the president... and they mean any BODY... a dead body... a body of water.
As I understand it, Mickey Mouse gets a substantial write in vote every four years.

Old 09-20-2002, 11:41 AM   #10
Nachtrafe
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by Cerek the Barbaric:
quote:
Originally posted by Nachtrafe:

You're forgetting one indisputable fact, Nachtrafe.

In this day and age, the "appropriate qualifications" include several million dollars to spend on advertising.....something that is not available for the average "grass roots" candidate.

I presume this is one of the advantage FOX-TV will offer to the chosen candidate. It will certainly gain them more publicity than they could get on their own.
[/QUOTE]I wont dispute that money is needed, but it isn't essential. All you need is a hook, and you can *get* the necessary money. Remember Nader? Now personally, I think the guy's a nutcase, and I shudder to think what would have happened if he'd won the Presidency, *BUT*, he started a rather successful grass roots campaign. And he *found* the necessary money.