Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2001, 08:51 AM   #11
Zeeke75
Baaz Draconian

Memnoch,

Are you running MS Windows? If so, you may be able to run a utility included (depending on which version of Windows you have).

One way to tell about your video card information is to run a program called "DXDIAG", if you have DirectX installed. Go to Start>Run and type in DXDIAG. Once the program opens, go to the Display tab, and you should be able to tell how much RAM your video card has. Listed as "Approx Total Memory"

------------------

Protector and Defender of Nature
Awake, Aware and Loving Life to the best of my abilities
Tracker of the fair Cleric Charean
Old 06-01-2001, 10:32 AM   #12
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

That worked! I've got 2.5Mb. Thanks Zeeke, you're a legend. Thanks also to Sir Tainly, Clodbringer, Earthdog and Azurewolf who helped me on MSN.

Just leading on from that though - I read somewhere that min req for DSL is a 4 Mb video card. Is this true??

------------------
Old 06-01-2001, 10:45 AM   #13
Zeeke75
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
That worked! I've got 2.5Mb. Thanks Zeeke, you're a legend. Thanks also to Sir Tainly, Clodbringer, Earthdog and Azurewolf who helped me on MSN.

Just leading on from that though - I read somewhere that min req for DSL is a 4 Mb video card. Is this true??

Hey, no problem!!! As far as the 4 MB video card goes, my guess is that it's only for the using the installation software that comes with it, or it's recommended for loading all the really cool graphical pages. What company are you thinking about going with?

------------------

Protector and Defender of Nature
Awake, Aware and Loving Life to the best of my abilities
Tracker of the fair Cleric Charean
Old 06-01-2001, 12:38 PM   #14
slackerboy
Gold Dragon

your video memory should not stop you from using dsl
they are unrelated.
but understand the slower your computer is the less effective a fast internet connection will be. is this your only pc?

------------------

Lord of the Screen Shot
Get My IronWorks Winamp skin
Old 06-01-2001, 12:52 PM   #15
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Memsiffico,

I still think you will find yourself much happier with an upgraded or new machine. As someone pointed out, dsl isn't going to be as fast/useful with a slower machine and you will eat up memory for sure. 32 Ram ... oh my....

As for the videocard not being adequate- the dsl company may have minimal standards for installation and operation. My cable modem company did. See if the dsl company you want to go with has a website, they may have a program for testing your laptop to see if it meets their standards. The Road Runner cable company has one. I used it before I called them to switch over.

Let me know if you are thinking new/upgrade. I can ask my friend at IBM to hook up with his laptop division if possible. He may be able to get answers on the upgradeable or not question. Although, I'll tell you, he almost always tells me to buy new...because after a few years, it is usually more cost effective to buy new, what with all the changes being made in technology these days.

CloUdbringer, dropping clOds of mud in a fancy apt in Sydney

------------------
Raindancer of the Laughing Hyenas Clan
Storm-Queen
StormCloud of the Black Knight
Heart Mind Soul Forever
Old 06-01-2001, 12:56 PM   #16
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

zekkes right... anyways, is it true that dsl is based on your phone speed? when its slow, sorry? an thats it?

------------------

We have merged... and now we are called Chiharumut..wehehehe and... Stay ahead of the Avalanche or risk being buried...
Old 06-01-2001, 04:03 PM   #17
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

Memnoch, Slackerboy is right, it makes no difference what your vid card has whatsoever. You could connect to dsl w/ 16 colors if you wanted to. Also, on a lot of store bought pc's the vid card shares memory resources w/ the system ram. Your internet connection and video properties are completely unrelated.

------------------
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
-General George Patton (1885-1945)
Old 06-02-2001, 02:53 AM   #18
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Cool! I've been thinking of upgrading for a while, but everytime I decide to do it, a new chip or something comes to market. The speed to market in this industry is amazing, would put FMCGs to shame. I just need to evaluate the cost of getting a new one (to get a 800MHz P3 with all the bells and whistles would be about $1500AUS I'd say). Now I can spend that one of the following ways:

1. Buy a new computer
2. Towards a new car
3. Towards a DVD/Home Theater System
4. Going to Greece to meet up with my girlfriend
5. Save the money!

And I'm currently happy with my laptop now, except for the DSL thing which I will check out on Monday. I'd certainly be happier with a new one, but you see my dilemma.

But thanks for all the replies here, definitely food for serious thought.

------------------
Old 06-02-2001, 04:32 AM   #19
Earthdog
Emerald Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
Cool! I've been thinking of upgrading for a while, but everytime I decide to do it, a new chip or something comes to market. The speed to market in this industry is amazing, would put FMCGs to shame. I just need to evaluate the cost of getting a new one (to get a 800MHz P3 with all the bells and whistles would be about $1500AUS I'd say). Now I can spend that one of the following ways:

1. Buy a new computer
2. Towards a new car
3. Towards a DVD/Home Theater System
4. Going to Greece to meet up with my girlfriend
5. Save the money!

And I'm currently happy with my laptop now, except for the DSL thing which I will check out on Monday. I'd certainly be happier with a new one, but you see my dilemma.

But thanks for all the replies here, definitely food for serious thought.

Memnoch

As I said last night I could build you 2, count em, 2 800 computers for that kind of money.

I went to Clive Peters today and they had a CRAP 633 with only 64 meg of ram and an 8 meg (crap) video card. For $1,699!!!!! Oh yeah it had an Acer 15" monitor. whooooopeeeee doooooooo

I can build you an AMD Duron 800, with TNT2 ultra 32 meg video card, and 128 meg of ram and a Soundblaster 64 sound card, along with a 44x cd-rom, floppy drive ps/2 mouse and keyboard and everything youd need BUT a monitor, for about $850

You should be able to pick up a good second hand monitor for about $50 to $100

Id be doing this for absolutely no profit and would be selling it to you for the price i get the parts at, which is just above cost.

I know youre in Sydney but let me know if youre interested. We can work something out.

I will be building mine on about Wednesday and let you know what the exact cost would be for an 800mhz. Ill be paying $130 for the 800mhz cpu and $190 for the motherboard. In magazines those cpu's go for anywhere from $150 to $182 and the motherboards go for about $250
------------------
IS THE PIZZA HERE YET????
WANNA PASS ME A BEER??? THANKS!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by Earthdog (edited 06-02-2001).]
Old 06-02-2001, 04:47 AM   #20
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Earthdog:
Id be doing this for absolutely no profit and would be selling it to you for the price i get the parts at, which is just above cost.

I know youre in Sydney but let me know if youre interested. We can work something out.

I will be building mine on about Wednesday and let you know what the exact cost would be for an 800mhz. Ill be paying $130 for the 800mhz cpu and $190 for the motherboard. In magazines those cpu's go for anywhere from $150 to $182 and the motherboards go for about $250
Really? I didn't realize you were serious, mate!

Let me know the price for an 800mhz P3 with 128Mb of RAM. Email me at memnoch@tgeweb.com or mestacio@one.net.au or memnoch@runbox.com.

Thanks, mate!

------------------